Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think this is why I like NRJ as much as I do, even while admitting it's too short and doesn't really have any plot or explanation of what you're even doing. It has more depth and a greater sense of place than the vast majority of rides Disney has built in the last couple of decades. It transports you to another place, if nothing else.

Well you stand in this giant wicker basket thing for a while until you get inside, then you hop in a boat, its AC, dark and blue all at the same time. Then you get out.

The Empress Lilly

What we do know is the original release was perfect for its environment in Orlando in the late 80s and early 90s.
Was EO though?

I too enjoyed it. Especially that adorable fuzzball.

But EO was also Eisner putting EPCOT on the path of destruction. The change of direction from Energy, Communication, exploration to pop stars, toons. EPCOT no longer cross refered with industry, academia, futurism, and the world at large, but with Hollywood, pop culture trends and the wider stable of the Disney entertainment empire.There is a direct link from EO to Let it Go, from Michael Jackson in the Magic Eye to Eric Idle taking over next door a decade later. The replacement of thoughtful contemplation with flash pop culture in FW runs directly from EO to GotG.

The Empress Lilly

We will never know the truth for that comment.

What we do know is the original release was perfect for its environment in Orlando in the late 80s and early 90s. And that the original experience was a lot better than the bouncy floor tribute re release.
....upon reflection, do you mean by 'environment' the technical infrastructure of the theater?

UNCgolf

That’s the problem. It’s a technology demo but they forgot everything else.

I think that's probably an accurate description.

That just shows how poorly Disney has done over the past couple of decades, though, because I think it's still one of the best rides they've built in Orlando during that time period. Off the top of my head, the only rides that have opened since 2000 that are clearly better are MMRR, RotR, Expedition Everest, and Flight of Passage (and MMRR and RotR are both brand new). 7DMT and Soarin' would probably get the nod from me as well, although I think NRJ is more impressive than Soarin'. NRJ is better than everything else that's opened in the past two decades unless I'm completely forgetting something.

The Empress Lilly

I think that's probably an accurate description.

That just shows how poorly Disney has done over the past couple of decades, though, because I think it's still one of the best rides they've built in Orlando during that time period. Off the top of my head, the only rides that have opened since 2000 that are clearly better are MMRR, RotR, Expedition Everest, and Flight of Passage (and MMRR and RotR are both brand new). 7DMT and Soarin' would probably get the nod from me as well, although I think NRJ is more impressive than Soarin'. NRJ is better than everything else that's opened in the past two decades unless I'm completely forgetting something.
I keep hoping that over time I'll slowly develop a certain soft spot for Na'vi, but it is not quite there yet. One of its enduring qualities is simply its capacity to underwhelm.

Not that I dislike it. Na'vi gets too much bad press. It's a soothing, calming experience that tickles your inquisitiveness just enough to keep your eyes wandering around from start to finish.

That alone is worth a lot. The slow moving ride through physical environments will forever be the heart of my Disney experience. I'll take Na'vi over any flashy superhero coaster. If, sadly, it's own underwhelming performance and reception are part of the very reason for the replacement of its attraction type.

UNCgolf

I keep hoping that over time I'll slowly develop a certain soft spot for Na'vi, but it is not quite there yet. One of its enduring qualities is simply its capacity to underwhelm.

Not that I dislike it. Na'vi gets too much bad press. It's a soothing, calming experience that tickles your inquisitiveness just enough to keep your eyes wandering around from start to finish.

That alone is worth a lot. The slow moving ride through physical environments will forever be the heart of my Disney experience. I'll take Na'vi over any flashy superhero coaster. If, sadly, it's own underwhelming performance and reception are part of the very reason for the replacement of its attraction type.

I've said it here before, but I think the wait times for NRJ are a significant factor in its reception. A shorter wait wouldn't eliminate the problems that exist with the ride, but I certainly think it would feel less disappointing. Prior to the shutdown, you either had to get a FastPass (meaning you couldn't get one for Flight of Passage) or wait in line for an hour and a half or longer.

I really enjoy the ride for what it is even acknowledging the flaws, but I've only been on it with a FastPass and thus little to no wait. I don't think I'd want to wait even an hour for it.

On the other hand, Frozen Ever After is a similar ride experience with similar wait times, and people seem to rate it more highly than NRJ. I personally think NRJ is vastly superior to FEA in literally every way. I assume the Frozen IP is a major reason for it, but who knows.

Also, I couldn't agree more about slow moving rides through physical environments. I think physical environments are always more immersive than virtual ones (at least until technology has advanced far beyond what exists today) and other parks will always be far ahead Disney in the thrill ride department -- if thrill rides are what you want, why go to Disney at all? There are so many better options.

The Empress Lilly

I've said it here before, but I think the wait times for NRJ are a significant factor in its reception. A shorter wait wouldn't eliminate the problems that exist with the ride, but I certainly think it would feel less disappointing. Prior to the shutdown, you either had to get a FastPass (meaning you couldn't get one for Flight of Passage) or wait in line for an hour and a half or longer.

I really enjoy the ride for what it is even acknowledging the flaws, but I've only been on it with a FastPass and thus little to no wait. I don't think I'd want to wait even an hour for it.

On the other hand, Frozen Ever After is a similar ride experience with similar wait times, and people seem to rate it more highly than NRJ. I personally think NRJ is vastly superior to FEA in literally every way. I assume the Frozen IP is a major reason for it, but who knows.
FEA is rubbish, with the exception of a few show scenes. Na'vi is miles better. Quality inversely correlates to their popularity.

That would indicate that ride popularity is indeed dependent on IP popularity. Something which park fans commonly deny. Or at least abhor.

To further add to our woes, the enormous difference in popularity between Na'vi and FoP can not be ascribed to IP - they share one. The conclusion was that screen based > physical sets and thrills > slow moving.

IP based screen centric thrill rides it is then.... :'(

rowrbazzle

If it was the third ride in the land instead of the second I imagine waits would be a lot better. It's carrying too much weight.

UNCgolf

That would indicate that ride popularity is indeed dependent on IP popularity. Something which park fans commonly deny. Or at least abhor.

I think IP popularity can prop up a mediocre ride, but I don't think IP popularity alone is enough to make a ride a huge success in most cases (Frozen may actually be an outlier in this regard just because it's so popular). Frozen Ever After isn't a good ride, but the AAs alone are enough to make it significantly better than something like Little Mermaid, which is neither good nor popular despite being a very popular IP.

Sir_Cliff

I think IP popularity can prop up a mediocre ride, but I don't think IP popularity alone is enough to make a ride a huge success in most cases (Frozen may actually be an outlier in this regard just because it's so popular). Frozen Ever After isn't a good ride, but the AAs alone are enough to make it significantly better than something like Little Mermaid, which is neither good nor popular despite being a very popular IP.
I know it's subjective and I agree the location is bad, but I don't get how FEA can be described as a bad (or "not good") ride on its own terms. If FEA doesn't reach the standard of even being good, then I don't know how you'd find WDW anything other than a handful of epic e-tickets floating in a sea of bad to mediocre rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom