Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Mickeynerd17

Who wouldn't rather have had a meaningful refurb and upgrade to all the opening day classic attractions in the Magic Kingdom instead of the stupid gold painted statues?
To be completely honest, rides at MK (except Splash Mountain which had a ton of broken effects) were running much better than I've seen recently and facades looked refreshed. I really appreciated that. They could've expanded that to the other parks as well to make it "more inclusive" to the resort as a whole instead of just MK.

That being said, animatronics resort-wide seriously need fixing/replacing. The movements in older attractions like COP, American Adventure, and JIIWF (the ones I've noticed) are extremely limited and look like Chuck E Cheese animatronics in comparison to the figures in RoTR. As much as I love new additions I would also love to see newer animatronics resort-wide. The technology gap between the A100s and what we have now is incredible.

I can't believe the ride would even be operational in that condition. In the past the ride would have been 101 until those things could be fixed, especially as both of those issues ruin the show.
🤷‍♂️

Rodj

That being said, animatronics resort-wide seriously need fixing/replacing. The movements in older attractions like COP, American Adventure, and JIIWF (the ones I've noticed) are extremely limited and look like Chuck E Cheese animatronics in comparison to the figures in RoTR. As much as I love new additions I would also love to see newer animatronics resort-wide. The technology gap between the A100s and what we have now is incredible.
Like I said before, the animatronics at JIIWF are perfectly capable of realistic motion. They just simply won't adjust them properly. There was a good period of Disney ride maintenance in early to mid 2018 that got completely screwed up in 2019. Tower of Terror got new loud speakers in early 2018 and the animatronics at JIIWF got re-adjusted to be more natural moving and match more how they used to be in the early 2000's. If you remember in 2017, the Figment animatronic at the Touch & Taste labs platform used to be very erratic/fast moving.

In mid-2019, both rides got messed up around the same time(Tower with its speakers and JIIWF with its animatronics. It's almost like a maintenance team came through these rides to purposely screw up something that didn't need touched, and both in my example are still not fixed properly.

DoleWhipDrea

From my understanding listening to Imagineers talk about AA's, function and movement doesn't necessarily get lost over time. Rather, the individual(s) working on the AA have to spend enough time and care to get them to perform at optimum levels.

I imagine that those working in maintenance aren't given enough time and resources to really get everything truly fixed as well as they would like. You need the right amount of experienced workers, a proper refurbishment with an actual closure...and from what I've seen at WDW, Disney stretches their employees thin with work and doesn't do that many lengthy refurbishments. DLR is heading in that direction now, too.

Mickeynerd17

It's almost like a maintenance team came through these rides to purposely screw up something that didn't need touched, and both in my example are still not fixed properly.
Easy fix: bribe the TDL maintenance team to come to Florida 🤣

In all seriousness, I seriously doubt it was on purpose. Both systems are old and they probably broke so quickly because of it. They really should be replaced outright with new technology. Heck, the figments could use similar tech to the security droids at Star Tours. Those seem to have a much better operations track record.

Homemade Imagineering

From my understanding listening to Imagineers talk about AA's, function and movement doesn't necessarily get lost over time. Rather, the individual(s) working on the AA have to spend enough time and care to get them to perform at optimum levels.
This. Animatronics require daily maintenance, especially when performing in a theme park setting. Those Figment AA’s are operated by pneumatic air, and animatronics running off of pneumatic systems often times must be calibrated and taken care of. I own a Mr. Munch animatronic from Chuck E. Cheese’s Pizza Time Theater, and even I myself have to deal with maintenance issues. I’ve been meaning to fix his eyelids for months now, and finally decided to order a part which will hopefully work in place of the original deteriorated pneumatic cylinder. It’s a process, but those Figment AA’s simply need to be recalibrated and I’m sure there are parts that need replacing.

Cmdr_Crimson

Now that we're in 2022, how far off realistically is the full redo?
no-money-donald-duck.gif

Our only hope is anything announced at D23Expo and anything announced for the 40th anniversary of Epcot...But, just expect a button and maps..

Cmdr_Crimson

I feel figment needs more cash shoved at it to really bring the pavilion back to a respectable state.
I know there are still images of the grand opening of the horrid 2.0 version on @marni1971 tribute..But even seeing this footage from Cow Missing's YouTube channel just looks terrible and why Figment was re added to the attraction .... just not the way we wanted to see him.

It's really strange why no one has asked Dave Goelz in his involvement doing his voice for Figment ever since the attraction reopened..Is he that ashamed of it? He will gladly talk about Gonzo for sure but nothing about Figment..

Inspired Figment

I know there are still images of the grand opening of the horrid 2.0 version on @marni1971 tribute..But even seeing this footage from Cow Missing's YouTube channel just looks terrible and why Figment was re added to the attraction .... just not the way we wanted to see him.

It's really strange why no one has asked Dave Goelz in his involvement doing his voice for Figment ever since the attraction reopened..Is he that ashamed of it? He will gladly talk about Gonzo for sure but nothing about Figment..

Actually that’s incorrect.. someone asked Dave in his interview with D23 about it. He said he rode it once and talked about how the recording session went. They basically told him Billy Barty voiced the character originally but told him “Don’t try to sound like Billy Barty.” So yeah, there’s that. Lol

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Actually that’s incorrect.. someone asked Dave in his interview with D23 about it. He said he rode it once and talked about how the recording session went. They basically told him Billy Barty voiced the character originally but told him “Don’t try to sound like Billy Barty.” So yeah, there’s that. Lol
But, that's the thing..It's been 20 years and there hasn't been any other use for using him for soundbytes or something new with him..It's a shame really..

Inspired Figment

But, that's the thing..It's been 20 years and there hasn't been any other use for using him for soundbytes or something new with him..It's a shame really..
True, but perhaps that’s for the best for now… I’d rather hear Billy Barty’s voice once again within those glass pyramids. With Corey Burton doing any pickup lines for new material (you can hear his performance in some of the queue videos and the ending of Journey Into ^YOUR Imagination)

LaughingGravy

Like I said before, the animatronics at JIIWF are perfectly capable of realistic motion. They just simply won't adjust them properly. There was a good period of Disney ride maintenance in early to mid 2018 that got completely screwed up in 2019. Tower of Terror got new loud speakers in early 2018 and the animatronics at JIIWF got re-adjusted to be more natural moving and match more how they used to be in the early 2000's. If you remember in 2017, the Figment animatronic at the Touch & Taste labs platform used to be very erratic/fast moving.

In mid-2019, both rides got messed up around the same time(Tower with its speakers and JIIWF with its animatronics. It's almost like a maintenance team came through these rides to purposely screw up something that didn't need touched, and both in my example are still not fixed properly.
We shouldn't even know about new speakers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom