Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Mickeynerd17

I think a simple and temporary fix that would put a little life in the pavilion again while we continue to wait for a new attraction, which has to come eventually even if it's not what we want, would be to clean the pyramids, repaint the building to be pastel blues and purples (or, at the very least, move away from the Kodak colors as its been over 10 years since they sponsored the pavilion), and put a new show in the Magic Eye Theatre. I don't know why they haven't already, it's a cheap(er) way to put life into an existing building and it would be something fairly marketable, especially on park maps, bus ads, and the genie app, and would bring in more foot traffic towards that side of the park where guests can buy flavored popcorn and Figment merch.
Remember, the current ride was originally a "temporary fix" when it debuted in '02, which will be *20 YEARS AGO* in 6 months.

If anything happens to Imagination, it needs to be a more permanent solution. Any more temporary fixes will just perpetuate the problem further.

I do agree though, some cleaning of the exterior structure would make the pavilion infinitely better. The glass pyramids have a rectangle pattern from the mold instead of their actual triangular pattern everytime I take a picture.

James Alucobond

It’s insulting that he’s only recognized as an easy way to sell merch to fans, but Disney wouldn’t dare put any of that revenue towards actually returning him to the attraction that he’s associated with.
Attractions change. I don’t think this rises to the level of an insult. They still use Mr. Toad, the Nautilus, and other things this way as well. Sure, it trades on nostalgia, and the Imagination pavilion deserves much better care than it currently receives. Still, even if Dreamfinder never returns, I don’t see the problem with selling merchandise related to him.

999th Happy Haunt

Attractions change. I don’t think this rises to the level of an insult. They still use Mr. Toad, the Nautilus, and other things this way as well. Sure, it trades on nostalgia, and the Imagination pavilion deserves much better care than it currently receives. Still, even if Dreamfinder never returns, I don’t see the problem with selling merchandise related to him.
The problem is there’s no specific merch for the current ride, sure there’s Figment plush but Disney’s not selling any Imagination Institute shirts or anything else branded similarly. Disney knows they can still keep the terrible current ride and pander to the fans of the original with shallow merchandise callbacks. The scary part is they’ve been getting away with it. It’s probably gone on a little too long to be explained as Disney seeing if there’s still any interest in the character.

James Alucobond

I just fail to see why that's "scary". He is among the ranks of many other retired characters they feature in merchandise. Taking advantage of nostalgia related to Dreamfinder is neither unique nor surprising.

999th Happy Haunt

I just fail to see why that's "scary". He is among the ranks of many other retired characters they feature in merchandise. Taking advantage of nostalgia related to Dreamfinder is neither unique nor surprising.
Oh I’m not surprised at all, it’s just dissapointing to see people eat this stuff up while the ride just rots.

Overall though I think the whole merch craze is actually getting to be too much and a little concerning. Most of the 50th celebration has been based around things you can buy. Where were the special shows? New rides opening? Apparently that doesn’t matter, because where was everyone at MK at on October 1st? Crammed inside of the emporium trying to buy junk with a 50 slapped on it.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

Right, I just don't think there's really any correlation between the two. I also find merchandise insanity generally concerning, but not for any reason related to the attractions themselves.

yensidtlaw1969

Most of the stuff from the OG ImageWorks were moved to the Walt Disney Archives I believe?
People like to imagine the Disney Archives are a massive repository for any and all things that may have factored into the history of the parks . . . but the truth is they are very selective about what they take in, and artifacts have to be deemed as having some pretty extreme historic value to the company in order to be accepted.

The liklihood that the Archives has anything of note from the original Image Works is low, and if they do it would probably be one or two pieces at most.

Inspired Figment

People like to imagine the Disney Archives are a massive repository for any and all things that may have factored into the history of the parks . . . but the truth is they are very selective about what they take in, and artifacts have to be deemed as having some pretty extreme historic value to the company in order to be accepted.

The liklihood that the Archives has anything of note from the original Image Works is low, and if they do it would probably be one or two pieces at most.
My guess would moreso be stuff like blueprints, plans, photo/video/audio archives of the stuff used for those activities rather than full physical items.

pdude81

I just want a picture in the rainbow tunnel 🥺 A part of me keeps hoping that we'll see it return when the Play! Pavilion opens...whenever that is...
I'm sure there will be a programmable instagram wall that can be used to pretend they brought it back and rotate through different settings. But I don't hold out much hope for a full rendition.

RSoxNo1

I know there are 117 pages supporting this, but the need for this attraction update is significant. The park isn't hurting for rides, it's hurting for good rides. At one point there was a budget in excess of $200 million for an update to the attraction and that needs to be put back on the table.

Trackless or not, this needs to be a family friendly attraction (no height requirement) that rivals any other family friendly attraction they've made. Cosmic Rewind alone cannot save EPCOT.

Castle Cake Apologist

After it closed, several items in the old ImageWorks were tagged by Archives as having significant historical importance to the company and were planned for inclusion.

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

After it closed, several items in the old ImageWorks were tagged by Archives as having significant historical importance to the company and were planned for inclusion.
We can only hope, for we'll never really know for sure if they moved to the archives.

Some small animatronics were tagged from Horizons too, but who knows if they survived.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom