Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Moth

Even a Living Seas overhaul could potentially jump Imagination.
Wouldn't go  that far. Seas seems relatively solved... unless you want to entertain completely removing the live animal aspect.

I'd put more weight into The Land getting an overhaul versus Living Seas. Haven't heard anything but like, let's look at the numbers.

The Seas had Nemo open after 3.0

The Land had a new show, Soarin' open AND ger a new film.

Spaceship Earth got a redo.

Energy was torn down and turned into Guardians.

Test Track is getting two whole new versions.

Mission Space got a new film/Mission Green.

I know this is a dead horse but I feel that it's time Imagination got it's ticket called.

James Alucobond

The fact that SSE would command a higher budget is worrisome to me. Either it means the Imagination update is so marginal that it might as well not happen at all, or the SSE update will be overkill (much like the proposal from 2019) and will fix things that aren't broken.

SSE definitely needs some TLC (and a proper descent scene), but I really don't want them to completely change it and ruin what I believe is Epcot's last truly great attraction. 2/3rds of the ride don't need their content changed. The ride will always be popular, and it's a great ride for surprising the typical cynics that find Disney to be "too childish".
I’m pretty sure anyone who’s said that it would be high cost has said that it’s because of the mechanical issues, not because they’d rip out everything that exists. Even in the storylight version, most scenes just looked like they were going to be plussed with projections.

Also, while I’m glad to a certain extent that the storylight version isn’t happening, the narrative does need to change a bit if they’re going to keep going in this direction with attractions throughout the park. Right now, it’s a thesis statement with a dwindling number of supporting arguments. If the re-framing is something along the lines of “how the human fascination with discovery, nature, and culture shapes the stories we tell” then SSE needs to do a better job of connecting those dots.

Brer Oswald

I’m pretty sure anyone who’s said that it would be high cost has said that it’s because of the mechanical issues, not because they’d rip out everything that exists. Even in the storylight version, most scenes just looked like they were going to be plussed with projections.

Also, while I’m glad to a certain extent that the storylight version isn’t happening, the narrative does need to change a bit if they’re going to keep going in this direction with attractions throughout the park. Right now, it’s a thesis statement with a dwindling number of supporting arguments. If the re-framing is something along the lines of “how the human fascination with discovery, nature, and culture shapes the stories we tell” then SSE needs to do a better job of connecting those dots.
I'm sure by now they have realized that the Future World overhaul was a huge stinker. Everything outside of GOTG has been received mixed or poorly. I'd rather they not double down by changing SSE to match it, but if we know anything about modern Disney, it's that they LOVE to double down on bad ideas to prove a point.

James Alucobond

I'm sure by now they have realized that the Future World overhaul was a huge stinker. Everything outside of GOTG has been received mixed or poorly. I'd rather they not double down by changing SSE to match it, but if we know anything about modern Disney, it's that they LOVE to double down on bad ideas to prove a point.
Regardless of the success of what little actually came from the overhaul, they’re not going to back down on IP being infused into the park’s attractions any time soon, so Spaceship Earth should probably address that in some capacity. That doesn’t mean that SSE actually needs IP intrusion itself, just that it should have a script that draws a connection between the generally real world-inspired front-of-house portion of each pavilion and its more fantastical Disney-inspired back-of-house within the attractions. Talking about the centrality of storytelling to the human experience and how the real world is a boundless source of inspiration and imagination seems like a decent compromise.

UNCgolf

Wouldn't go  that far. Seas seems relatively solved... unless you want to entertain completely removing the live animal aspect.

I'd put more weight into The Land getting an overhaul versus Living Seas. Haven't heard anything but like, let's look at the numbers.

The Seas had Nemo open after 3.0

The Land had a new show, Soarin' open AND ger a new film.

Spaceship Earth got a redo.

Energy was torn down and turned into Guardians.

Test Track is getting two whole new versions.

Mission Space got a new film/Mission Green.

I know this is a dead horse but I feel that it's time Imagination got it's ticket called.

The Nemo attraction is awful and doesn't draw any guests, though. The interior also looks pretty dated, especially with the loss of the undersea base theme. Even the main aquarium tank looks relatively barren/empty compared to the past.

I'm not saying Seas should go before Imagination (it definitely shouldn't, especially if they were going to eliminate the aquarium), but it's not like Disney hasn't been putting off Imagination for years and years already.

The Land doesn't really need anything other than an interior refresh, although I suppose that could require closing the whole pavilion.

trainplane3

Add to the fact that SSE is bound to be a nightmare to work on and within. It's a unique building with extremely limited access. SSE having a higher budget makes sense. Just remember how long it would take to remove each ride vehicle (or just enough to allow them to access the problematic track sections).

dreamfinding

Back to another thread (or maybe it was this one) that was talking about the lack of humbleness in WDI.

PREMiERdrum

What happens if the work is delclared cost prohibitive?
Thank the stars that SE sits smack-dab at the entrance of the park, serves as the park's main icon, and carries the narrative experience of the park's mission. It can't easily be made seasonal or otherwise abandoned (pours one shot of the good stuff out for Horizons).

I imagine we could get a moderate show update and shrugged shoulders on the ride system for now, save for a grind-and-groove here or there.

OptimusPrime

In the Parks
No
You're right As someone who's been on here since 2000, until construction takes place, we're stuck with the inferior Imagination attraction which has been in place far longer than the grand original. Expectations are zero until proven otherwise. We've had countless proclamations about the attraction over the years.
“Figment is getting fixed!” Rumors are as old as With Figment. It’s nice to have dreams, that’s what Disney is all about obviously. But I’ll believe that it’s getting fixed when I’m riding it.

GenChi

What happened with that movie anyway? Aren’t the guys behind it doing spaceballs 2 now or something?

That never officially got announced even though it made such rounds it felt like it did. That teaser social media post Disney made this year did include those writers among those meeting him so they are clearly still planning it. Those two also move between projects a lot.

The other thing is we don't know exactly what distribution it's meant for. Could be a full scale theatrical. Could be a Disney+ special (they did write the upcoming Lego Star Wars one). Could even be a Magic Eye surprise for all we know. Hopefully we know details by end of D23 what's planned for this.

peng

Premierdrum is probably right, given past investment cycles, its realistic expect Epcot to not get anything until the late 2020s outside of the occasional entertainment refresh given what happened with past investment cycles (not even expecting the trash fire that is communicore to get touched too). Only way I can see it is if a low budget redo is packaged with something coming to magic eye and that's a huge stretch (or if the figment movie somehow releases and does 2010s marvel numbers). JII redos are like rumors of a new Banjo Kazooie game, they always appear when the company that owns the IP (Disney/Microsoft) has a big showcase upcoming (D23/E3), but they never come to pass, and if we do get news of one at D23, I'm expecting it to be a vague piece of concept art during the inevitable blue sky segment and nothing else for years after that. At this rate, I'm assuming the ride as is remains in its current state until the heat death of the universe.

Moth

Premierdrum is probably right, given past investment cycles, its realistic expect Epcot to not get anything until the late 2020s outside of the occasional entertainment refresh given what happened with past investment cycles (not even expecting the trash fire that is communicore to get touched too). Only way I can see it is if a low budget redo is packaged with something coming to magic eye and that's a huge stretch (or if the figment movie somehow releases and does 2010s marvel numbers). JII redos are like rumors of a new Banjo Kazooie game, they always appear when the company that owns the IP (Disney/Microsoft) has a big showcase upcoming (D23/E3), but they never come to pass, and if we do get news of one at D23, I'm expecting it to be a vague piece of concept art during the inevitable blue sky segment and nothing else for years after that. At this rate, I'm assuming the ride as is remains in its current state until the heat death of the universe.

Comparing Figment to Banjo makes hell of a lot of sense.

Can we draw more comparisons on how other Rare IPs (Perfect Dark and Battletoads) are getting revivals like how World of Motion is getting some loving?

Figment truly is the Scrimblo Bimblo of Disney parks, haha.

I think late 2020s is the correct time placement based off the Epcot 50 goal I've heard. Don't wanna start too early to where it feels like your advertising stuff that's been out, and if you build late, it's a late birthday gift! Yay!!!

The only exception is if World Showcase magically gets Brazil announced at the Brazil D23 thing.

Last edited:

Sneakman

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpeg
    IMG_2462.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 11

FigmentFan82

That never officially got announced even though it made such rounds it felt like it did. That teaser social media post Disney made this year did include those writers among those meeting him so they are clearly still planning it. Those two also move between projects a lot.

The other thing is we don't know exactly what distribution it's meant for. Could be a full scale theatrical. Could be a Disney+ special (they did write the upcoming Lego Star Wars one). Could even be a Magic Eye surprise for all we know. Hopefully we know details by end of D23 what's planned for this.
It was, Deadline is a credible source for TV and film news:

DreamfinderGuy

I garuntee that cosmic rewind at Epcot is a case of “no good idea never dies at imagineering” with time racers.
It’s not.
It was, Deadline is a credible source for TV and film news:
This still isn’t an official announcement from Disney.

Brer Oswald

Comparing Figment to Banjo makes hell of a lot of sense.

Can we draw more comparisons on how other Rare IPs (Perfect Dark and Battletoads) are getting revivals like how World of Motion is getting some loving?

Figment truly is the Scrimblo Bimblo of Disney parks, haha.

I think late 2020s is the correct time placement based off the Epcot 50 goal I've heard. Don't wanna start too early to where it feels like your advertising stuff that's been out, and if you build late, it's a late birthday gift! Yay!!!

The only exception is if World Showcase magically gets Brazil announced at the Brazil D23 thing.
I've been using the Figment and Banjo comparison for years now. Every presentation you get your hopes up only to have them dashed. I can't do it anymore.
Banjoke.jpg
Figment Crying Wojak.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom