Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Sneakman

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 26

Sneakman

and I also hope this isn’t like a super budget cut version like discussed before. I wouldn’t be against a dreamfinder-less figment, as long as it is GOOD

dreamfinding

The Space restaurant?

Was gonna be Horizons: Bar and Grill. Hilarious idea. I got shown some art over a call with someone and we laughed for a solid five minutes. If it was revealed the forums would be split on its the death of Epcot or the best call back ever.

I’ve got to ask: was it actually going to be called Horizons: Bar and Grill? I don’t know if this is better or worse than the rumored projection Kitchen Kabaret/Awesome Planet.

Moth

I’ve got to ask: was it actually going to be called Horizons: Bar and Grill? I don’t know if this is better or worse than the rumored projection Kitchen Kabaret/Awesome Planet.
Nah, that was the gist I saw.

Also the Kitchen Kabaret thing was a CGI version of the original show, just in the space occupied by Awesome Planet currently.

dreamfinding

Nah, that was the gist I saw.

Also the Kitchen Kabaret thing was a CGI version of the original show, just in the space occupied by Awesome Planet currently.
Ah, thanks for the clarification on KK.

FWIW, I feel like awesome planet is underrated and fits the space well.

PREMiERdrum

I don't want to contradict @Moth's reporting here, but my folks are far less confident in anything substantial. There seem to have been several proposals, from a full rework to a narrative redressing. Nothing funded to my knowledge.

Unfortunately, the c-suite does in fact view EPCOT as "done" for this cycle. The TestTrack project is its own thing, as GM wanted a rework to better align with their own corporate vision. (Fun fact: At least some fabrication for the refurb is taking place at the tech center in MI).

The sticking point remains Spaceship Earth.. which could use the updated script, projection effects, and descent enhancement as planned pre-COVID, but the ride system needs an amount of work that is alarmingly close to being considered cost prohibitive to current management. IF new dollars come to EPCOT, SE will almost certainly soak up the bulk of them. We could see a JIYIWF redressing in the next decade, but I'd recommend tempering expectations.

Homemade Imagineering

I’d imagine there’s gotta be something for Epcot this D23, and I feel like the only two candidates at this point are JII & SSE. Obv we’ll get more information on TT 3.0 but IF there is to be anything else I can’t imagine it won’t be either SSE or JII. I suppose WoL is a possibility too but they seem pretty content leaving that empty for a few more years

Moth

I don't want to contradict @Moth's reporting here, but my folks are far less confident in anything substantial. There seem to have been several proposals, from a full rework to a narrative redressing. Nothing funded to my knowledge.

Unfortunately, the c-suite does in fact view EPCOT as "done" for this cycle. The TestTrack project is its own thing, as GM wanted a rework to better align with their own corporate vision. (Fun fact: At least some fabrication for the refurb is taking place at the tech center in MI).

The sticking point remains Spaceship Earth.. which could use the updated script, projection effects, and descent enhancement as planned pre-COVID, but the ride system needs an amount of work that is alarmingly close to being considered cost prohibitive to current management. IF new dollars come to EPCOT, SE will almost certainly soak up the bulk of them. We could see a JIYIWF redressing in the next decade, but I'd recommend tempering expectations.

This about lines up with what I've heard.

There's no funds anywhere yet and SSE and Imagination will fight each other to see who goes first, SSE budget will be higher than Imagination's, and they're plainly indecisive what to even do outside of "figment is in the ride" because I've heard best case scenarios to the afformentioned "current ride with Dreamfinder over Channing".

The current plans on paper is that, prior to 2032, Imagination and SSE will get work and get make overs to be pretty for the 50th.

There's just been a lot of people yelling "FIRE" on social media over Inside Out 2 taking over Imagination so I had it reaffirmed Imagination is on the radar (after other stuff in other parks is done (BBTTM and DAK stuff)) and everyone's beloved little royal purple pigmented reptile is sticking around.

The rundown is: it's not happening anytime soon, I doubt EPCOT is getting much this D23 outside of Test Track, but maybe next D23 the first in line will get announced. All that's going around right now in my spheres are "figment is sticking around" "disney wants a sponsor for SSE" and "both will be redone in due time".

Just gotta sit tight for another 2-3 years. But they're chipping away at the list of stuff that needs to be done in WDW property wide before those two get their number called. But rest assured, by the end of the 2020s, our purple friend is gonna (likely) be in better shape.

That might be a disappointment to some that SSE and Imagination have to wait til MK and DAK get done before they start hammering out more concrete plans, but would you rather those two be a victim of things being stretched thin? The 17~ bil WDW is receiving is for the next decade anyway.

dreamfinding

There's no funds anywhere yet and SSE and Imagination will fight each other to see who goes first, SSE budget will be higher than Imagination's, and they're plainly indecisive what to even do outside of "figment is in the ride" because I've heard best case scenarios to the afformentioned "current ride with Dreamfinder over Channing".
Problem is, if they gamble and screw up 4.0, I feel like WDI/TWDC would never hear the end of it. I mean, they have heard about 2.0 for years now.

The rundown is: it's not happening anytime soon, I doubt EPCOT is getting much this D23 outside of Test Track, but maybe next D23 the first in line will get announced.
Wonder if it would be in the cards for Destination D23 next year? Not saying they need to rush it for announcement purposes, but it would look good to announce something of that caliber while the event is at WDW.

Homemade Imagineering

Well the first few hours of the day were exciting 😭😭 oh well! It was nice while it lasted, I’m gonna go temper my expectations once more & focus on more tangible hype for TT 3.0. I still appreciate the insight @Moth

Keep us in the loop whenever you’re able! Today was one of the more exciting days on this thread since 2019

Rodj

The rundown is: it's not happening anytime soon, I doubt EPCOT is getting much this D23 outside of Test Track, but maybe next D23 the first in line will get announced. All that's going around right now in my spheres are "figment is sticking around" "disney wants a sponsor for SSE" and "both will be redone in due time".
Do you happen to have any knowledge on any potential candidates for Figment's VA? Disney's been avoiding giving any voice to Figment (e.g. 50th statue) outside of Speedstorm (though this might have been picked by their team and not Disney)

The Leader of the Club

Do you happen to have any knowledge on any potential candidates for Figment's VA? Disney's been avoiding giving any voice to Figment (e.g. 50th statue) outside of Speedstorm (though this might have been picked by their team and not Disney)
I feel like this can go one of two ways:
Speedstorm VA (A.J. LoCascio) or whatever name they get for the movie. I’d assume they’ll be looking at relatively well-known comedians who can do a decent Figment impression.

Moth

Problem is, if they gamble and screw up 4.0, I feel like WDI/TWDC would never hear the end of it. I mean, they have heard about 2.0 for years now.

Wonder if it would be in the cards for Destination D23 next year? Not saying they need to rush it for announcement purposes, but it would look good to announce something of that caliber while the event is at WDW.
Destination D23 is where we heard about TT 3 so... maybe? That sounds like it'd work out.

I'm a firm believer in that JIIWF is in its twilight years and has less than 5 years left.

Also yeah to your first point. I'd prefer Tropical Americas and Beyond Big Thunder Phase 1 be done before they tap into Imagination and SSE again. You don't want creatives to be stretched too thin.

GenChi

I can't shake that bad feeling, even if insiders say no, that the only way the Iger board approves funds for this revamp is if it's Inside Out. They might have been leaning towards a proper revamping but doesn't mean that's what's final. We know how quickly they can just change their minds, just look at everything about this ride over the years. Certain events make them do this. A film sequel unexpectedly outpacing Frozen 2 AND Super Mario Bros Movie is that exact thing.

Figment obviously will never go away, he's way too beloved, profitable, and they have outside-park plans for him. But that doesn't mean he's guaranteed sole rights of the ride, or even a main presence. As mentioned, the Tiki birds sure were untouchable, but not enough to avoid being put under new management.

The uncomfortable elephant in the room is the quickest turnaround for a high-capacity, theme-approporiate ROI Inside Out ride revamp of an unpopular ride is Imagination. One that very likely would co-star Figment given his appearances in the films, but even then. And including new IP that they said they'd almost exclusively only do for parks going forward might be how it gets approved. A full WOL gut for IO is how to make everyone happy, besides the ROI beancounters who steer this ship. Imagination IO might not even happen, but too many are denying that possibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom