Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

eddie104

I don't have post show info because, it hinges on sponsor stuff.

The plan from what I heard from a SINGLE SOURCE (likely malarkey but fun to speculate anyways), was to do a CGI version instead of Awesome Planet. But like, combined with Food Rocks?

Plan died fast I heard though.
This off topic but is Disney serious about adding capacity to WDW?

Sneakman

Hm. This feels plausible if they DO grab said sponsor, especially if it's the previously discussed sponsor which loves dumping money.

It wouldn't shock me if they're estimating less to Imagination because they're worried how much SSE will cost along with sponsor availability. But really outside of extensive track work (I don't think it's a full retracking, just getting it ready for another 40 years), I heard outside of some show scenes (Mammoth and descent are scenes I've heard specifically) not much is changing about the ride outside of removing SCREEEEEENS (fun fact! after covid there were small talks of a band-aid fix to turn off the screens and see what's left in the descent that they could reasonably get working) and new narration, of course.

I'll bookmark this post and dwell on it more, but I think getting SSE a sponsor can help Imagination in the long run.
that actually does sound pretty good. I am hoping for tomorrows child, but do not expect it to return. IMO they should bring the songs back to all the existing og Epcot rides like land, SSE, TT, ECT. but if you are at liberty to, is the sponsor thing leaning towards the will happen or won’t happen side?

Sneakman

Yes but only if it has an IP hook or is an established park IP.
I apologize for all the replies, I do not mean to annoy, but could you clarify what “established park ip” means? Is it like stuff already in the parks? Or attractions from the 20th century that have become Disney ip in a sense and/or can sell merch (ala HM, Figment, tiki room/jungle cruise/ general Adventureland, bears)?

The Leader of the Club

Crazy thing is that I heard these guys a
were... back on the table.... (HAH!) for awhile because they wanted to give The Land more stuff. Once again, best pavilion. Without flaw.
I’ve always thought the Awesome Planet theater would be a great place to put an updated Kitchen Cabaret. There’s definitely enough space in there and it would be an easy way to win back some EPCOT purists.

DreamfinderGuy

Question about Test Track: Is the entire bill being footed by Chevrolet?
No.
I’ve heard varying reports of what is actually left up there that works? I’ve also been told that they take new WDI people up there to visit + see the old sets.
Entirely depends on your definition of what "works". Lighting and the fiber optics would technically work if they turned it on, but audio/video is long gone. Everything between the virtual classroom and city sets (excluding those two, only the things between them) is still intact. As is the backdrop for the city set, though it's covered up.

Moth

Chevrolet enabled the bill to go as high as it is currently. Obviously TWDC is footing some of it. But the reason why Test Track has gotten two redos, and the reason why TT3 is getting a nice check (for a refurb!) is because GM/Chevy continues to have faith in it and invests into it.

I apologize for all the replies, I do not mean to annoy, but could you clarify what “established park ip” means? Is it like stuff already in the parks? Or attractions from the 20th century that have become Disney ip in a sense and/or can sell merch (ala HM, Figment, tiki room/jungle cruise/ general Adventureland, bears)?
Latter. It's why Bears got a refresh versus annihilation, Tiki Room is still standing and got the chance for a rebuild after the fire, why Jungle Cruise didn't get a movie makeover, and why Haunted Mansion keeps getting merch and redos galore on both coasts.

The Haunted Mansion sit down resturant was real and floated around for awhile. Sometimes things fall apart for no reason.
that actually does sound pretty good. I am hoping for tomorrows child, but do not expect it to return. IMO they should bring the songs back to all the existing og Epcot rides like land, SSE, TT, ECT. but if you are at liberty to, is the sponsor thing leaning towards the will happen or won’t happen side?
To be honest? I don't know. Company relationships are fickle because both think they're top dogs. Flip a coin and go 50/50 in this case. Would not be shocked if it fell thru.

dreamfinding

Chevrolet enabled the bill to go as high as it is currently. Obviously TWDC is footing some of it. But the reason why Test Track has gotten two redos, and the reason why TT3 is getting a nice check (for a refurb!) is because GM/Chevy continues to have faith in it and invests into it.
I wonder how many vehicles they have sold in the post-show.

Moth

they 100% would’ve put the rock in JC if that movie was as successful as they hoped. They said they wouldn’t add movie stuff to the ride originally, and we all know what happened in the end.
Okay, one last quick thing before I bolt off for the day, also bc we should go back to talking about our beloved purple pigmented reptile: I remember the Rock on Instagram saying they weren't gonna add movie stuff to the ride and were just gonna update it.

Homemade Imagineering

The merch thing is a double edged sword.

If you buy merch, they go "See?? We don't gotta fix it! He sells enough already!"

If you don't buy merch... "See? Nobody likes him! Yank him out!"
See this is what kills me. They’re either completely clueless to why he’s beloved in the first place, or they’re self aware and could care less whether the attraction sucks if people continue eating up the merch. Maybe it’s a sick game for them to release tons of Figment merch under this terrible attraction & then laugh at the hordes of people who line up to buy popcorn buckets. Regardless it’s gross generalization and huge disservice towards their biggest fans, not that they care how we feel anyways. Almost like they’re threatening us with this exciting redo that keeps getting pushed out, so they mass produce merch to continually prolong a sense of false hope, & as soon as the loudest advocates lose interest, it’ll allow them to bulldoze the thing for another IP. I also worry how much the film’s success will have on Figment, and whether that is the determining factor of whether he stays or not. I know you said he’s a protected species but this company is extremely unpredictable

eddie104

See this is what kills me. They’re either completely clueless to why he’s beloved in the first place, or they’re self aware and could care less whether the attraction sucks if people continue eating up the merch. Maybe it’s a sick game for them to release tons of Figment merch under this terrible attraction & then laugh at the hordes of people who line up to buy popcorn buckets. Regardless it’s gross generalization and huge disservice towards their biggest fans, not that they care how we feel anyways. Almost like they’re threatening us with this exciting redo that keeps getting pushed out, so they mass produce merch to continually prolong a sense of false hope, & as soon as the loudest advocates lose interest, it’ll allow them to bulldoze the thing for another IP. I also worry how much the film’s success will have on Figment, and whether that is the determining factor of whether he stays or not. I know you said he’s a protected species but this company is extremely unpredictable
Hasn’t he become the de facto park mascot?

MK-fan

I mean with the way the Disney company is doing things now a days, they might make Imagination worse with an update, if that weee possible lol.

MerlinTheGoat

A company with better money management than Disney could probably do a lot with only $40-$50 million if the goal was to replicate the original ride as closely as possible. Obviously attempting to rebuild the old turntable would cost far more, but replicating the rest of the ride would *probably* be possible within that budget. Presumably still solid infrastructure if the building and track are fine, and they likely don't need to spend very much demolishing the existing sets since they're already mostly empty anyway.

Another benefit for replicating the old ride is that it was never particularly AA-heavy to begin with compared to other Future World classics. DF and Figment were the only two beings in the ride, and there were only about 21 AA's of them in total from what I counted. 10 of which were on the turntable scenes for each of the five rotating sections. Without the turntable, you only need a fraction of that number. Though i'd propose replicating one or two of these intro scenes for a standing pre-show before loading the ride at least (still a preferable alternative to either a video preshow or nothing at all IMO).

You definitely don't need A1000's either. Much of DF's face is comprised of thick beard and eyebrows, and his expression is always fixed to a happy cheeful smile. Crazy complex expression isn't really necessary (man is always smiling anyway and can be set to a perpetually happy expression). And he had minimal motion below the waist. Figment also doesn't need super complex movement either. They could reuse the JIIWF AA's.

They also already have a soundtrack and dialog recorded. Just needs to be edited a bit Most of the effort and costs would be to replicate the original sets. Some setpieces may still even exist in the archives somewhere, but there's also ample reference material available regardless. I think the most complex and expensive bit of scenery in the original ride was the laser symphony, and it would cost peanuts to replicate or even upgrade today. The old film reels of the projections might exist somewhere still too. If they kept the ride as a simple replication of the original, and didn't waste money on a bunch on unnecessary expensive tech that jacks the price up, then I think it's possible to get a lot of this replicated within that budget.

The key phrase here though is "another company better at money management". You can't trust Disney to be able to do it at any reasonable cost. They always find a way to take $100-$200 million, and blow it like a bunch of gambling addicts. Even on rethemes.

Last edited:

dreamfinding

Presumably still solid infrastructure if the building and track are fine, and they likely don't need to spend very much demolishing the existing sets since they're already mostly empty anyway.
As much as I would love to have it, I know we can’t get back the length of track they cut when building 2.0.
Another benefit for replicating the old ride is that it Figment also doesn't need super complex movement either. They could reuse the JIIWF AA's.
Maybe do what they did with Country Bears? Keep the guts but upgrade what you can.
The key phrase here though is "another company better at money management". You can't trust Disney to be able to do it at any reasonable cost. They always find a way to take $100-$200 million, and blow it like a bunch of gambling addicts. Even on rethemes.
I really would love to see an itemized list of everything involving a retheme - electrical, water/sewage, flooring, track, show elements, etc.

James Alucobond

You definitely don't need A1000's either. Much of DF's face is comprised of thick beard and eyebrows, and his expression is always fixed to a happy cheeful smile. Crazy complex expression isn't really necessary (man is always smiling anyway and can be set to a perpetually happy expression). And he had minimal motion below the waist. Figment also doesn't need super complex movement either.
This is why I think something stylistically like Runaway Railway using the Little Golden Book aesthetic might be best. I don’t think they want to be seen as putting human AAs out there anymore that are less than A-1000s, but I could see them getting over that hump a bit better with a ride designed more like a pop-up book.

Homemade Imagineering

They could reuse the JIIWF AA's.
Yep, & almost every Figment AA from the original has survived. They could always bring in the old ones from the archives, give them new skins from the original molds (if they still have them, & if not 3D scan the originals & make duplicates) and reuse their mechs. Keep the old shells & latex skin in the archives and bam, the original mechs are back in action with the JIIWF AAs tagging along. Some of the originals are with private collectors which I suppose they can’t do much about but there is quite a bit to be salvaged, IF they decide on using their budget responsibly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom