Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

muddyrivers

Would he be willing? Absolutely.

Would Disney ask him back? Probably not. I don’t think they’re willing to give the designers the level of freedom that Tony would want to work with. If someone higher up in the company suggests something he doesn’t agree with, Baxter would not hesitate to vocalize his concerns.
I honestly think it depends on who is leading the JII refurb on whether Disney would have Baxter back. For example, I overheard him telling another Imagineering CM that he was behind the scenes involved with helping on the Splash Mountain refurb (whether that was on the technical, creative, etc. side, I don't know). But point being, Tony hasn't hung up his Disney ID card for good and would certainly be up to it and Disney has clearly worked with him recently.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
If the attendees of D23 actually booed them off the stage if they did not mentione anything coming for iImagination...or chanted "Bring Back Dreamfinder" loudly and continually, they may actually get the point...but as long as the attendees breathlessly cheer for a popcorn bucket or new paint on their otherwise old and dated attractions, we will continue to get cupcake parties and special merch instead of what the parks actually need.
I’ve always wondered what’s the deal with the insane applause at anything and everything.

Do you know if they ask people in attendance to be enthusiastic?

I was hoping to get out West for D23 this year because it’s going to be a great one (just couldn’t justify the price), but I’d definitely hold my applause for worthy announcements.

Bocabear

I’ve always wondered what’s the deal with the insane applause at anything and everything.

I was hoping to get out West for D23 this year because it’s going to be a great one (just couldn’t justify the price), but I’d definitely hold my applause for worthy announcements.
I am curious why you think this D23 is going to be a good one? The last big one had lots of announcements that were all later cancelled...
though at this one they could announce a new Popcorn bucket and get a standing ovation and 22 minutes of thunderous applause.... lol

The Leader of the Club

I can say as someone who has been to a few big D23 panels, it’s the atmosphere of the room. I was there in 2022 for the movies showcase and the crowd was electric. We cheered for every clip they showed, every star they brought out, every logo on screen. Only after the panel did I realize that I wasn’t actually looking forward to any of those movies. But being in a room filled with hardcore Disney fans and feeling like you’re getting EXCLUSIVE access does a lot.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
WoL turning into the Fortnite pavilion wasn’t on my 2024 bingo card 🤥
Sadly, I think there's a lot they could do with that. Gameplay stations aside, they could host dance parties, sell mix & match apparel, have a hot beverage stand called The Teabag. They could host major e-sports tournaments there. Never mind the family of other brands that are now tied into Fortnite.

To be clear, I DO NOT WANT THIS. Nevertheless, it's a good way to try and court the demographic that typically starts to outgrow Disney.

Gusey

I am curious why you think this D23 is going to be a good one? The last big one had lots of announcements that were all later cancelled...
A lot of the announcements from 2019 did come about or were cancelled due to the pandemic causing budget slashes. I remember some insiders on here saying that Disney had budgeted some spare money for if they did go overbudget, but can;t remember who said it

Moth

Sadly, I think there's a lot they could do with that. Gameplay stations aside, they could host dance parties, sell mix & match apparel, have a hot beverage stand called The Teabag. They could host major e-sports tournaments there. Never mind the family of other brands that are now tied into Fortnite.

To be clear, I DO NOT WANT THIS. Nevertheless, it's a good way to try and court the demographic that typically starts to outgrow Disney.

You win. I'm gonna tell my sources to tell their bosses to keep passing this up until I'm drinking hot tea from The Teabag.

KDM31091

They keep trolling us with the Dreamfinder imagery in various locations, so I still hope someday he returns in some form or another. I'm not expecting the previous attraction to return, but hopefully they can at least make a 4.0 that incorporates the Dreamfinder.

dreamfinding

They keep trolling us with the Dreamfinder imagery in various locations, so I still hope someday he returns in some form or another. I'm not expecting the previous attraction to return, but hopefully they can at least make a 4.0 that incorporates the Dreamfinder.
If they’re going to spend the money and spend the time, they need to bring Baxter back in for a rebuild of 1.0.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
though at this one they could announce a new Popcorn bucket and get a standing ovation and 22 minutes of thunderous applause.... lol
Imagineering is in overdrive. We’re at the cusp of an expansion phase larger than the 2010s from what I’ve heard.

I’m pretty confident you can go in with much higher expectations than last year and you won’t be disappointed.

Homemade Imagineering

I’m pretty confident you can go in with much higher expectations than last year and you won’t be disappointed.
I remember you said to keep an eye out for the Rogen project, I’m hoping that if we don’t receive any news for JII this year, we at least receive a more solid confirmation of the movie project going forwards. I could settle for that alongside a proper replacement to WoL or SSE refurb announced, & then JII V4 is announced a couple years from now. Regardless, still tempering my expectations for any news surrounding Figment this expo

eddie104

Can we forget the Pandemic years as Chapek was in charge and he didn’t care one little about the parks?

The last D23 had threads of projects that will be under construction soon such as Tropical America’s.

James Alucobond

Wow… they’re really this outta touch. Yikes
The TT3 budget is provided in large part by someone else, and the SSE budget is probably massively bloated due to all the things that desperately need to be addressed with the ride system. I know people want a truly stunning Imagination, and that would obviously be great, but I also think people continue to overestimate the popularity of Figment. I feel Disney knows his pull is limited and is probably looking to be slightly conservative for that reason. Honestly, people will perhaps hate me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind something more in the style of Runaway Railway, created almost exclusively with projections, mostly because I find almost none of the animatronics or sets in the current iteration to be interesting in the slightest.

Moth

The TT3 budget is provided in large part by someone else, and the SSE budget is probably massively bloated due to all the things that desperately need to be addressed with the ride system. I know people want a truly stunning Imagination, and that would obviously be great, but I also think people continue to overestimate the popularity of Figment. I feel Disney knows his pull is limited and is probably looking to be slightly conservative for that reason. Honestly, people will perhaps hate me for saying this, but I wouldn't mind something more in the style of Runaway Railway, created almost exclusively with projections, mostly because I find almost none of the animatronics or sets in the current iteration to be interesting in the slightest.
Ding ding ding.

MerlinTheGoat

Imagineering is in overdrive. We’re at the cusp of an expansion phase larger than the 2010s from what I’ve heard.

Getting word Imagination budget is substantially lower than the TT 3 and SSE 5 budgets I've heard.

Like. Half of TT3.

Leaning towards "current ride with Dreamfinder over Nigel Channing and some set changes".
A tale of two posts...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom