Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

AVPTI

I know this sounds bad, but I did hear a security saying WDI surveyers were walking around CM-M a lot recently back in May.

Before that, I assumed CM-M was the spot for Avatar since it was "thrown together" last minute.

Captain Chaos

The longest I've waited for a show was probably 20 minutes during a busy day, so all I want is some sort of cover to protect from the sun and rain.

That would be nice... I was waiting for a FotLK show last year, and wound up drenched from a massive downpour... A covered queue would be nice, but doubtful...

NoChesterHester

I haven't seen this show in probably 10 years, mostly in protest over it being in such a crappy area. I would love to have reason to see it again.

jt04

That would be nice... I was waiting for a FotLK show last year, and wound up drenched from a massive downpour... A covered queue would be nice, but doubtful...

I do not think it doubtful at all. Especially if the entire experience is being plussed which seems only logical considering the current look of the attraction.

The average guest may show up at the last minute but there are large numbers that also show up to get preferred seating. Usually families that want front row seats. So a queue themed in the manner of LM seems likely if the visionaries at WDI are given the benefit of the doubt. And I think we may be firmly in the era where that is how business is done. You know, utilizing logic mixed with tons of Disney magic. The way Walt would have done it. And John Lasseter.

Rob562

Just watched HK's version and I really hope we don't see it come here. Just wasn't as entertaining as we have now.

Coming into the discussion late, but just wanted to reassure you that the HK version is *supposed* to have a flying bird, but it looks like there was a technical problem during the performance in the linked video. The bird makes a much more dramatic appearance up through a trap in the center of the stage. (You can see the cable running from the ceiling to the hole at the 16-minute mark, but the bird never emerged)

This is a better example of the bird segment (again, the 16-minute mark):

I like how dramatic the entrance is, but I miss the pas de deux of the two birds leading up to the flying portion that you get in AK's.
But I *love* the dramatic exit of HK's birds.

My hope would be the same as another poster mentioned earlier: a hybrid of the two shows. Keep AK's show, but add in some enhancements from HK's show that can be done with constructing a new theater.

-Rob

JustInTime

Coming into the discussion late, but just wanted to reassure you that the HK version is *supposed* to have a flying bird, but it looks like there was a technical problem during the performance in the linked video. The bird makes a much more dramatic appearance up through a trap in the center of the stage. (You can see the cable running from the ceiling to the hole at the 16-minute mark, but the bird never emerged)

This is a better example of the bird segment (again, the 16-minute mark):

I like how dramatic the entrance is, but I miss the pas de deux of the two birds leading up to the flying portion. And I *love* the dramatic exit of HK's version.

-Rob

What about the acrobatic monkeys? Are they in there? (the last one I watched, they were missing)

DCLcruiser

I believe it will be a bit longer and possibly connect to CMM (Avatar area) as well. The point of this being an alternate route during parade times.

What about just using this pre-existing?

DAKbrige.jpg

Rob562

What about just using this pre-existing?

They may have to/want to keep that as a backstage-only route. The park's First Aid is located on Discovery Island by that bridge, and the high walls on the bridge allow vehicles like ambulances to get to that part of the park without being seen by Guests. (Although there's currently only one spot behind Tusker House where you can even *see* this bridge, it was designed with the river boats going under it in mind)

-Rob

Tim_4

Got to this thread a little late so apologies if this has been addressed. I thought it was already known throughout the fan community.

CMM is absolutely the planned site of Avatar.

FotLK makes sense in Africa anyways.

RSoxNo1

They may have to/want to keep that as a backstage-only route. The park's First Aid is located on Discovery Island by that bridge, and the high walls on the bridge allow vehicles like ambulances to get to that part of the park without being seen by Guests. (Although there's currently only one spot behind Tusker House where you can even *see* this bridge, it was designed with the river boats going under it in mind)

-Rob
Hmm... this is a good point, and is probably the main reason why they're not relocating the guest services building to the other side of the pathway. It looks like a long enough path/bridge can be built as a runoff to and from Festival of the Lion King so that it won't interfere much with Wild Africa Trek

Tim_4

It looks like a long enough path/bridge can be built as a runoff to and from Festival of the Lion King so that it won't interfere much with Wild Africa Trek

This might not be an issue for much longer. Wild Africa Trek is having a VERY tough time. It's not easy to convince people to go outside in 90+ degree weather for a physically exhausting activity. The trek itself is currently being "reassessed."

COProgressFan

This might not be an issue for much longer. Wild Africa Trek is having a VERY tough time. It's not easy to convince people to go outside in 90+ degree weather for a physically exhausting activity. The trek itself is currently being "reassessed."

While I'm not a huge fan of the concept (seeing random people walking through your safari), perhaps another problem is the ridiculous price?

Tim_4

While I'm not a huge fan of the concept (seeing random people walking through your safari), perhaps another problem is the ridiculous price?
Might have something to do with it. From what I know the other "premium" animal tours do quite well but Wild Africa Trek just struggles.

NoChesterHester

Might have something to do with it. From what I know the other "premium" animal tours do quite well but Wild Africa Trek just struggles.

We looked at the experience, but a family of four runs about $800. It isn't like we are a bunch of paupers, but that is a serious chunk of change considering our park tickets for a week are less then that. Also, unbeknownst to Disney there is a global recession still hurting many folks checkbooks. In my opinion price definitely plays a part.

Oh yeah... and that small issue that people are really lazy. A three hour trek just isn't going to happen for some.

Tip Top Club

Wild Africa Trek has already been reassessed, there are now less tours daily and they have been filling. Look for it to expand in the future, not deflate.

RSoxNo1

We did it, I had fun, but I don't see myself doing it again. For that reason I'd support getting rid of the infrastructure than can be seen on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom