Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

RSoxNo1

raven, Will there be an entrance behind Tusker house as well as the Discovery Island entrance? I can see this working with a bridge over the river coming straight from Discovery River and it wouldn't require relocation of anything.

raven

This is awesome news. I can't picture the new walkway but I certainly understand the logic of it. Necessary and very welcome to ease congestion.

Any hints on increased show capacity and other enhancements? I am really hoping for an immersively themed theater environment worthy of the attraction.

Do you know if this will open with the closing of the current show? If so, I would assume that would mean construction would start very soon so that Avatar construction can commence also.

I usually don't watch timelines for items like this so I really can't tell you, but there are some long range plans (5 years or so) for several things at AK including making it nightime friendly.

Not sure FotLK will be changing in any way as they already have a pretty good production as it is. Possibly a larger seating capacity but I haven't heard anything to confirm this.

raven

raven, Will there be an entrance behind Tusker house as well as the Discovery Island entrance? I can see this working with a bridge over the river coming straight from Discovery River and it wouldn't require relocation of anything.

Just one entrance (the Discovery Island path is just a bridge to the restroom and outdoor area of the theater).

andre85

Very good news. This make so much sense. Thank you for posting.

Animal Kingdom is the Orlando park with the most potential. If Disney would put the same kind of emphasis on Animal Kingdom as they just did at DCA, it could rival Tokyo DisneySea.

I agree with this. Animal Kingdom is an amazing, if under-developed park. These enhancements could very well make it one of the best in the world. Assuming Avatar-land turns out well.

threeyoda

Just one entrance (the Discovery Island path is just a bridge to the restroom and outdoor area of the theater).

Just drew a quick thing up. Could this possibly be what it could look like?

Screenshot2012-06-19at53910PM.png

jt04

Just drew a quick thing up. Could this possibly be what it could look like?

Screenshot2012-06-19at53910PM.png

This looks close to what I would guess too. Although a more elaborate queue (something on the scale of Mermaid?) And larger restrooms. But from this pic there seems to be plenty of space for those. Then it appears they will exit the crowds behind TH. Makes perfect sense.

jt04

I usually don't watch timelines for items like this so I really can't tell you, but there are some long range plans (5 years or so) for several things at AK including making it nightime friendly.

Not sure FotLK will be changing in any way as they already have a pretty good production as it is. Possibly a larger seating capacity but I haven't heard anything to confirm this.

I'd just like to see a theater that does not look so temporary with all the exposed infrastructure. It should look at least like it was made locally with natural resorces IMO.

Gregoryp73

This looks close to what I would guess too. Although a more elaborate queue (something on the scale of Mermaid?) And larger restrooms. But from this pic there seems to be plenty of space for those. Then it appears they will exit the crowds behind TH. Makes perfect sense.

Awesome idea!! Maybe they can do an entrance based off the caves which he encounters scar? Sure it's a little scary, but it would be uber cool.

Cosmic Commando

I'd just like to see a theater that does not look so temporary with all the exposed infrastructure. It should look at least like it was made locally with natural resorces IMO.
I know they did work to enclose it, but this was the last-minute addition on the lowest of budgets. Funded by Entertainment instead of WDI, I believe? They struck gold with a minor project. Hopefully now that they realize they have a winner on their hands, they will do it right.

JWG

I know they did work to enclose it, but this was the last-minute addition on the lowest of budgets. Funded by Entertainment instead of WDI, I believe? They struck gold with a minor project. Hopefully now that they realize they have a winner on their hands, they will do it right.

The noticeable difference in the upgrade to FotLK and the Tarzan/Nemo theater...

RSoxNo1

I believe it will be a bit longer and possibly connect to CMM (Avatar area) as well. The point of this being an alternate route during parade times.
So essentially another loop of Discovery Island like the additional Asia loop added by Everest. I'm curious if anything else will be along this path as well? It used to be an area viewed by the Discovery River Boats.

Based on the layout will FotLK be regarded as an Africa attraction or Discovery Island attraction?

jt04

Awesome idea!! Maybe they can do an entrance based off the caves which he encounters scar? Sure it's a little scary, but it would be uber cool.

Yes an elaborate queue and immersive theater would vault this attraction into true E-Ticket territory. It would definitely need more capacity and fast passes. An enclosed or partially enclosed queue would seem necessary to keep people out of the heat during wait times. DAK needs this attraction and I am very happy they seem to have chosen to keep it.

Bravo TDO!!!

jt04

I doubt they'll have an elaborate queue.

Glad I can't agree as the one trend at WDW that is unmistakeable is that revolutioizing the queue experience is pretty much priority one.

And with good reason. It is probably the one thing they get the most complaints about.

AVPTI

Agreed. I don't remember ever waiting long outside for the show. The way the shows are spaced out, you can open up the theater and let people get in to sit down about the time that most people will show up.

The longest I've waited for a show was probably 20 minutes during a busy day, so all I want is some sort of cover to protect from the sun and rain.

Pentacat

Don't forget they just announced that new Discovery Island Meet 'N Greet area where Beastly Bazaar is/was. So coupled with this it looks like Camp Minnie-Mickey will have no reason to exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom