Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

Omnimover

I would also argue that if the buildtime for Avatar is 2016 at the earliest, then a modified Maharajah Jungle Trek that includes Giant Pandas should be an immediate priority for this park.

While I don't disagree with you as a giant panda environment would be a major positive addition to the park, I thought there were issues with incorporating them due to their very particular environmental needs. If memory serves me well (and it rarely does), whenever this topic has been broached, posters seem to indicate that the Powers That Be wouldn't be interested in the added complexity/inflexibility a giant panda exhibit would require.

drew81

Original Poster
Again, this is just a rumor. I am not 100% where it would go in Africa or when this will happen.

I would think it could go back behind the Bradley Falls area. They train layout could be changed to accomodate it.

disnyfan89

I believe the last plans that where being thrown around was to remove flights of wonder and place the new FoLK in that location. There was also talk of using the version from Hong Kong.

drew81

Original Poster
I believe the last plans that where being thrown around was to remove flights of wonder and place the new FoLK in that location. There was also talk of using the version from Hong Kong.

Doesn't Disney still have a lengthy contract with Steve Martin/Natural Encounters Inc for Flights of Wonder?

Lucky

I agree it can't be in or past Harambe due to thematic clash and congestion problems. The path to FotLK has to be separate.

MarkTwain

Sounds like a logical move to me. It could be even more in theme if they designed the exterior to feature the dilapidated, earthy look of Harambe, and called it "Harambe Festival Theater" or something like that. Make it look like a village production about fantasy Africa.

I agree that Harambe's design is immaculate, but there really may be no better place for a Lion King-related attraction in all of WDW than AK's Africa. Some flexibility seems appropriate for an attraction this popular.

autigger

Apparently, Hong Kong Disneyland and has a much more elaborate FOTLK. Hopefully, this is an opportunity for TDO to seriously upgrade this already very popular attraction and create a great new FOTLK for Animal Kingdom. If handled correctly, this could be very good news for Animal Kingdom.

djkidkaz

Rumor-

Camp Minnie-Mickey will be seeing many changes in the upcoming future. The most significant of these will see Festival of the Lion King relocated to Africa.

The Camp will also be losing the character kiosks and the replacement for those will be the new meet 'n greet location at Beastly Bazaar(which was reported a few weeks ago).

So there will be nothing left back there then, correct?

djkidkaz

I really think the easiest spot to move FotLK is where Creature Comforts currently sits, right before the bridge to Africa from Discovery Island on the left hand side:
http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=28.3566072&lon=-81.59172&z=18&l=0&m=b

Another option is to put Festival of the Lion King on the pathway between Harambe and Flights of Wonder, but without altering the train layout this is an extremely tight fit:
http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=28.3589203&lon=-81.5908832&z=18&l=0&m=b

Really, the best option is altering the train layout and Maharajah Jungle Trek, pushing Flights of Wonder further back in Africa with an entrance near the current Harambe train station is. By altering or removing the current train layout and modifying the Maharajah Jungle Trek, they can position the park much better for future expansion into the plot North of Asia. I would also argue that if the buildtime for Avatar is 2016 at the earliest, then a modified Maharajah Jungle Trek that includes Giant Pandas should be an immediate priority for this park.
http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=28.359803&lon=-81.589998&z=18&l=0&m=b

Im guessing that once this is announced there will be large changes to AK. If they really are going to make it a full day park, they really need to make some changes. I think we'll see alot of modifications to the layout of the park. I'd love it if the train was made to circle the whole park.

disnyfan89

If they do make changes to the show it would be more of a hybrid of the two shows. I would hope Disney would take the opportunity to take the show to the next level. For a show that was built using left over parade floats and meant to be temporary it sure has done wonders. It would be amazing to see where they could take it with a new home.

NiarrNDisney

How I could see it happening

Attachments

• AnimalKingdom1.jpg
    AnimalKingdom1.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

SpectroMagicMan

I had also heard that this would be moving sooner than later and that they would use a good portion of the HKDL show and specifically remove the current stage as the preformers had the transition from the tumble monkey segment to the rest of the show.

bethymouse

What? Worried that you might be able to see a show building from the train ride?

I don't think it belongs right in the village like Mombasa Marketplace or Tamu Tamu, but I think you could have a path leading behind the village with some Harambe-appropriate signage pointing you in the direction of the show. Like I said earlier, there is pretty much no chance that you just stumble upon FotLK right now. The healthy crowds that it gets are all people seeking it out, so it doesn't need to be in your face in the village.
Can't you already see the buildings on the train ride?:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom