Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

menamechris

This might not be an issue for much longer. Wild Africa Trek is having a VERY tough time. It's not easy to convince people to go outside in 90+ degree weather for a physically exhausting activity. The trek itself is currently being "reassessed."

I don't know how they thought this experience would have staying power. Only the megafans would really be interested. By this point, most of them have either done it - or already been clued in that it is not worth the insane price. It's nice that you can get the photos and you go on a little "trek" - but the reality is that you are paying up to double your park admission price (or more) to see pretty much the same stuff you see on the safari from another angle. You get a VERY light snack at the end. And you get a photopass CD that has never left my desk drawer. Disney needs to really get serious about the true value of some of these experiences... It's not about what they THINK it should be worth, in their opinion - it's about what the average, reasonable person would be willing to fork over for it.

Bolna

I have been saying ever since I first heard about the price they charge for the Wild Africa Trek that I can't imagine that this tour will be able to be sold at that price for long. The other tours at AK are considerably cheaper.

Cosmic Commando

We did it, I had fun, but I don't see myself doing it again. For that reason I'd support getting rid of the infrastructure than can be seen on Kilimanjaro Safaris.
I don't mind that it's there per se, but I mind that it looks really new and sturdy and not really themed. Any game reserve could have a warden's outpost or infrastructure for the rangers to use, but everything about Wild Africa Trek that you can see from the Safari sticks out like a sore thumb. It should look like it's been there for 40 years.

brkn3467

The news from yesterday's Stitch Kingdom report:
The latest species on the endangered list to be highlighted at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at the Walt Disney World Resort will be the Tumble Monkey, if reports are to be believed. A reliable insider has advised us that the gymnasts performing at the popular ‘Festival of the Lion King’ show located at Camp Minnie-Mickey have been put on six month notice (as of last month) and — to date — there have been no changes or amendments made to said job loss notification.

Read more: REPORT: 'Festival of the Lion King' at Disney's Animal Kingdom Won't See 2013 - Stitch Kingdom.com
StitchKingdom.com - The #1 unofficial source for news on Disney

Mr_Incredible

Maybe the show won't (obviously) be going on while they move the building etc, and they will be out of work until it re-opens? No way they get rid of this show is there?

GrumpyFan

While I would hate to see FotLK leave, I think the story and entertainment value is high enough that it would make for a really good dinner theater either in the park in an all new arena, or maybe over at Animal Kingdom Lodge in its own facility. They could run the show 2 or 3 times a night kind of like Hoop Dee Doo or some of the other night time dinner shows. Perhaps they're looking at this as an option. My issue with this would be that it would take a really popular show away from the general public and AK needs it or something equivalent to maintain the park's level of guests and to have enough to do for a full day.

rioriz

More than likely they are contract players who will need to know when the show will be closing for the moving process....

drew81

Original Poster
I can confirm that a 6 month contract was offered. They're usually are given a 12 month contract.

RSoxNo1

The original info we had on this was January 19th move date with 6 months of downtime after that. Has this changed?

Bolna

I am wondering what this would do to the show - even if they intend to reopen it after 6 months. All the cast that is employed now will have left to new assignments, possibly ones they cannot get out of quickly. So they would have to train a whole (or in large parts) new cast for the show. Does not sound smart to me. Especially as there is no reason why they have to stop performing while a new venue is being built.

The irony is also that during the Olympics they had this story about one of the tumbling monkeys on the Disney Parks Blog (he was a gymnast in the Beijing Olympics), that must have been around the time the person being featured was told that his employment would end in 6 months time...

SirLink

Maybe the show won't (obviously) be going on while they move the building etc, and they will be out of work until it re-opens? No way they get rid of this show is there?

Well first you build the new building and then just resume the performances at the new location, this simply sounds as though its an easy "lets not pay for the Equity performers, acrobatic performers, etc." for however long it takes to build the new building.

GrumpyFan

Well first you build the new building and then just resume the performances at the new location, this simply sounds as though its an easy "lets not pay for the Equity performers, acrobatic performers, etc." for however long it takes to build the new building.

Just my own speculation, but it could also mean they're planning on making some changes, or re-tooling the show in some way.

jt04

Just my own speculation, but it could also mean they're planning on making some changes, or re-tooling the show in some way.

This hopefully. The show could be even better and more immersive. just hope all the performers get chances in other shows. Isn't the MK supposed to be getting some kind of new entertainment?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom