Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

Jose

I Hope Ariel gets a decent costume. I am also rather disappointed most of the villains have not been upgraded. Maleficent and Jafar especially. They need to update Maleficent's costume badly and also Jafar could be a face character!!!
Well, I also think Ariel should have an awesome costume, even better than Soundsational's...

GrantR

They need to update Maleficent's costume badly
*dreams*

No doubt the new film will mean this gorgeous creation won't be back in a long time :(
image.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

I don't know if that's the unions or just more the culture of the parks and operations out there. There are fewer structured meet and greets and a lot more characters just randomly roaming around.

AGVA is the union Disney uses for singers/actors at DLR instead of Equity. AGVA isn't nearly as strict and there aren't nearly as many rules, which is why non-union performers at DLR get away with a lot more (even acrobats are non-union). Equity is very strict with lots of rules, and Disney doesn't want to pay their dancers/characters $14/hr, so they're non-union and heavily restricted. It's kind of ridiculous - they already start face characters at $12 and change an hour. Dumb

mm52200

AGVA is the union Disney uses for singers/actors at DLR instead of Equity. AGVA isn't nearly as strict and there aren't nearly as many rules, which is why non-union performers at DLR get away with a lot more (even acrobats are non-union). Equity is very strict with lots of rules, and Disney doesn't want to pay their dancers/characters $14/hr, so they're non-union and heavily restricted. It's kind of ridiculous - they already start face characters at $12 and change an hour. Dumb
Call me crazy, but why doesn't WDW just use that union then? It's times like these where it's so baffling as to how DL and WDW are both owned and operated by the same company but yet operate and function so differently.

asianway

Call me crazy, but why doesn't WDW just use that union then? It's times like these where it's so baffling as to how DL and WDW are both owned and operated by the same company but yet operate and function so differently.
Uni doesn't use equity...perhaps @71jason has insight on what it might take to "break" the union as it were

71jason

Uni doesn't use equity...perhaps @71jason has insight on what it might take to "break" the union as it were

No clue, was never a labor law guy--genuinely curious now, tho. Was just perusing AGVA site, no obvious answers. Interestingly, they rep Universal LA performers as well as DLR.

Going to try to Facebook an answer, will post if I learn anything.

LongtimeReader

Disney World chose to negotiate with Equity many years ago. It is a more respected and has a bigger membership than AGVA. Disneyland chose AGVA, for reasons I don't know. Being a member of both, I can assure you Equity has a lot more clout and can play hardball. This translates to both positives and negatives for parks/CMs. It translates to performers not being taken advantage of financially (if the acrobats are non-union in DLR then they are most likely being taken advantage of) but also translates to making parade choreography less intricate since they won't let Disney get away with paying less to do more.

Universal entertainment dept is 100% union free, which means they can do what they want. Again, there are positive and negative results to that arrangement. Side note: Tokyo Disney is also union free.

asianway

Disney World chose to negotiate with Equity many years ago. It is a more respected and has a bigger membership than AGVA. Disneyland chose AGVA, for reasons I don't know. Being a member of both, I can assure you Equity has a lot more clout and can play hardball. This translates to both positives and negatives for parks/CMs. It translates to performers not being taken advantage of financially (if the acrobats are non-union in DLR then they are most likely being taken advantage of) but also translates to making parade choreography less intricate since they won't let Disney get away with paying less to do more.

Universal entertainment dept is 100% union free, which means they can do what they want. Again, there are positive and negative results to that arrangement. Side note: Tokyo Disney is also union free.
If equity truly played hardball, they would absorb the face characters instead of having the clause that allows them to get taken advantage of.

mm52200

This is what I assumed. Equity is great for those performers being covered by it, just ashame WDW isn't always willing to spend the extra money to use Equity performers when necessary. I had no idea Universal was union free, that really surprised me. For some reason I just assumed they were Equity too.

TTA94

From Twitter: "may be a morning person but I still hate getting up before the sun. However seeing festival of fantasy on main street this morning. Worth it"

So full rehearsals on the parade route are underway?

What is the status of the parade route modifications? Is it pretty much completed? I assume not much "visually" was done since we have not gotten any updates or pictures.

LongtimeReader

If equity truly played hardball, they would absorb the face characters instead of having the clause that allows them to get taken advantage of.
A union cannot just absorb a group of workers that is already covered by another union. It isn't remotely that simple. However, I agree that all of entertainment should have better representation. Even the Equity ones. And especially the AGVA and Teamster ones.

etwtec

I know that some details about the soundtrack are being kept very tight lipped but I have a few questions that maybe some of you Might be able to answer. Will the overall soundtrack be very noticeably different and modern compared to previous parades that MK has had? Will the opening be something similar to POD in terms of being BIG, Chilling, Epic? I think the only parade opening MK had that was somewhat similar to POD was SADCT.. Going by the rumors of FOFs soundtrack being Happiness Is Here based, I hope the opening and especially narration will be very different/better lol.

TTA94

Being a huge fan of the HIH soundtrack, and listening to it constantly lol, It will be interesting to see the differences.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

The general consensus is that Uni, even without a union, treats its Entertainment cast better than Disney WITH a union. There are exceptions, of course, but it allows for better show elements AND happier performers at Uni.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom