Feb. 21st Star Wars land preview on ABC

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The negativity and conspiracy theories never cease to amaze me. At least, like most postings on here, it provides for delightful reading over my afternoon coffee.

What has Disney done for parks fans in the last decade?

Cars land being the exception - that was Lasseter who to his credit wants E-tickets for ALL the PIXAR properties but will never get them with the current BoD. That's what drives the negativity at least on my part, Companies do not change their ways of doing business unless FORCED to by management turnover or external forces.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ford, I get that everything with you is the glass is always empty. I'm not a pixie duster, though. I may have criticisms as with anything later on. But give me a break. People like you complain that HS is half (or less than half) of what it used to be. They then come up with plans for the lands in HS. You complain about that. Disney, owning ABC, decides to promote the lands that they are building. You complain about that. If they never promoted it, you would complain about that too, accusing them of hiding what a bad expansion (as you have already opined) they are building.

If I saw construction taking place and things going vertical I'd have a lot different opinion about these projects. The LACK of construction tells me at least that this is corporate fluff and they MAY build if their internal polling and surveys tell them that there is enough 'demand'. Disney is a fundamentally reactive company these days and they only way we will see major investment is if gate clicks start to decline OR UNI passes them on gate clicks on at least one of the parks.

Now perhaps the closures are a strategy by WDW OPS to actually have UNI pass one of the parks in admission counts and thereby free up investment funds because nothing less than that will get Burbank to actually invest in WDW.

JohnD

If I saw construction taking place and things going vertical I'd have a lot different opinion about these projects. The LACK of construction tells me at least that this is corporate fluff and they MAY build if their internal polling and surveys tell them that there is enough 'demand'. Disney is a fundamentally reactive company these days and they only way we will see major investment is if gate clicks start to decline OR UNI passes them on gate clicks on at least one of the parks.

Now perhaps the closures are a strategy by WDW OPS to actually have UNI pass one of the parks in admission counts and thereby free up investment funds because nothing less than that will get Burbank to actually invest in WDW.

I can't keep up with all the conspiracies. . .

jmmc

I can sometimes get frustrated with Disney's corporate decisions, and sometimes slow builds, but there's no way they would cancel Star Wars Land after announcing it. They're investing in Star Wars because it hasn't let them down yet, and the extreme popularity of the new movie seals the deal.

Also, while everyone likes to tell us Universal is outpacing Disney, isn't Universal's main strategy these days "more Harry Potter"? They can only take advantage of that for so long without more HP movies, and not just the upcoming spin-off.

jmmc

Why am I picturing Harrison Ford sitting in a chair reading the old press release off a sheet of paper? :)

Mike S

I can sometimes get frustrated with Disney's corporate decisions, and sometimes slow builds, but there's no way they would cancel Star Wars Land after announcing it. They're investing in Star Wars because it hasn't let them down yet, and the extreme popularity of the new movie seals the deal.

Also, while everyone likes to tell us Universal is outpacing Disney, isn't Universal's main strategy these days "more Harry Potter"? They can only take advantage of that for so long without more HP movies, and not just the upcoming spin-off.
I'd say it's more "get more popular franchises into the parks," like Fast & Furious and Nintendo.

jt04

Key difference is Walt actually INTENDED to do the things he talked about, Those shows were not about hyping experiences which don't currently exist to boost the stock price.

According to @WDW1974 there was a huge WDW refresh project planned starting 2008 (yes I know financial crisis and all) Iger chose to kill it and use the money to boost the stock instead, UNI chose to use the depressed environment to build new attractions inexpensively (HPL anyone?).

We have two diametrically opposed philosophies in play in Orlando 1 - Invest in the STOCK, 2 - Invest in the BUSINESS. Anyone care to guess which Disney is doing?

There can't be a new JP movie every year or a new HP movie ever. However Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney Animation can produce content every year. And now this new content can be integrated into Disney's parks. It is called not putting the cart before the horse or something. Good strategy by the mouse. Learn from it.

Clearly Iger and the board and stockholders are committed to the long term health of an American Institution. Not sure Universal isn't the company that capitalizes on their IP's in a short-sighted manner. Sure they have the new Transformers attraction but will that IP be multi-generational? Will HP? Hmmm.

Mike S

There can't be a new JP movie every year or a new HP movie ever. However Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney Animation can produce content every year. And now this new content can be integrated into Disney's parks. It is called not putting the cart before the horse or something. Good strategy by the mouse. Learn from it.

Clearly Iger and the board and stockholders are committed to the long term health of an American Institution. Not sure Universal isn't the company that capitalizes on their IP's in a short-sighted manner. Sure they have the new Transformers attraction but will that IP be multi-generational? Will HP? Hmmm.
Considering Transformers started in 1984, I'd say it's already proven itself. Same goes for Jurassic Park. It's a classic. And are you really questioning Harry Potter? Really? Smh.

jt04

Considering Transformers started in 1984, I'd say it's already proven itself. Same goes for Jurassic Park. It's a classic. And are you really questioning Harry Potter? Really? Smh.

I am not questioning it, however it is not in the same league as Star Wars. Very glad Disney passed on the HP IP. Provided breathing space to acquire Marvel and Star Wars or some other franchise. Infinitely more diverse franchises than HP or transformers. Time will prove me right.

But this is a thread about Feb 21st and the Disneyland 60th anniversary special. So lets not turn it into another Uni vs Disney thing. That is better debated in a spirited forum.

May the force be with you.

jmmc

The major difference between Walt Disney hyping attractions on his TV shows and the way they do it now is his ability to sell things without making it seem like a corporate sales pitch. But in reality, it's the same thing. Walt was just a better salesman. I don't mean that as a criticism of him, either. He of course has a million times more imagination than most businessman, and did want to entertain people.

jmmc

I will say one thing that may be seen as negative. I still think getting connected to Avatar wasn't a great decision. We will at least get more Star Wars movies on schedule without question. God only knows when Cameron will actually get just one Avatar sequel out there. I have to assume that may be a reason that area of the park is still "coming soon." Wanting to have it open near an actual movie release.

flyerjab

I am not questioning it, however it is not in the same league as Star Wars. Very glad Disney passed on the HP IP. Provided breathing space to acquire Marvel and Star Wars or some other franchise. Infinitely more diverse franchises than HP or transformers. Time will prove me right.

But this is a thread about Feb 21st and the Disneyland 60th anniversary special. So lets not turn it into another Uni vs Disney thing. That is better debated in a spirited forum.

May the force be with you.

Yes. I am certain that Disney owning Harry Potter and Star Wars would be terribly disappointing.

jakeman

Uhhh Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, Cars Land, New Fantasyland, The Little Mermaid, World of Color, Toy Story Midway Mania, and just about everything else opened when scheduled? What exactly hasn't opened on time??
I don't know...seems like logic and sanity for some folks around here are still a work in progress.

There have been other owners of the Falcon.
Disney has decided to go with Billy Dee Williams and have Colt 45 as the rides sponsor. It's always been the plan. I mean the power of Colt 45 is truly amazing as shown below.

I would ride this...a lot...

Oh please...you saw construction of Avatar and chose not to believe it because you didn't hear anything going on. It's just a set of goalpost that move for you. Entertaining though...so keep up the crazy.

jt04

Yes. I am certain that Disney owning Harry Potter and Star Wars would be terribly disappointing.

The NFL is a very lucrative business but there is a reason they do not suddenly expand to 64 teams by selling franchises. That would bring in billions but the quality of play would degrade and become unrecognizable. Also, I think if Disney had of gotten HP, then Lucas would have turned to Uni. For the exact reason I mention in my NFL comparison.

Marvel, Pixar, and SW are so unique there is little chance they compete against each other.

rael ramone

Walt Disney. What a doofus! Yes, I know what became of his plans are a whole different discussion. But I guess you know more than Walt.

This film was made specifically for the Florida Legislature. It wasn't intended for the public.

That said, over the past 24 hours since I signed off I've changed my opinion :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Seeing that this is part of the 'Disneyland 60th', and not a specific 'Star Wars Land Special', there is precedent for this. Future plans have a place along with it's history.

(This is not an endorsement of adding this into a small park that has plenty of business already. A separate gate would have been a more appropriate business decision).

RSoxNo1

HP and Lucas have nothing to do with each other- and they don't compete with each other either outside of theme parks. Thats all that needs to be said.
They both affect the young adult male demographic which has been a pain point for Disney. I think that if Disney reached a deal with Rowling, than the extent of a Star Wars Land would be much less. Competition here is a fantastic thing for the guests.

andysol

They both affect the young adult male demographic which has been a pain point for Disney. I think that if Disney reached a deal with Rowling, than the extent of a Star Wars Land would be much less. Competition here is a fantastic thing for the guests.

My assumption was him speaking of acquiring the HP franchise- not just the rights to the theme park. I think anyone with half a brain would know that HP land wouldnt be 30% of what it is now if Disney won that deal- not to mention, like you stated, how SWL and Avatar would be shells of what we are actually going to get. Thank the theme park Gods Uni got HP to teach the mouse a lesson on how it's done.

jt04

You really don't know what you're talking about. Iger and Lucas had a great relationship from back in his Chronicles of Indiana Jones TV show that Iger took a chance on and gave him 2 seasons even though it had no audience and was a critical failure. He also saw how Disney handled Pixar's acquisition- essentially keeping Pixar a separate division with creative control- and Lucas still refers to Pixar as "his company". Universal, on the other hand, took American Graffiti from Lucas and edited it without his consent and he still holds discontent this day because of that.

HP and Lucas have nothing to do with each other- and they don't compete with each other either outside of theme parks. Thats all that needs to be said.

I probably should have suggested Fox, Sony or Paramount too. Are you saying Disney was the only option? That seems impossible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom