Feb. 21st Star Wars land preview on ABC

jt04

I Captured the King of the Leprechauns (1959) - promoted Darby 'O Gill and thhe Little People

Operation Undersea (1954) - promoted 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with behind-the-scenes clips

The Liberty Story (1957) - promoted both Johnny Tremaine and the planned Liberty Street for Disneyland (never built)

Disneyland 10th Anniversary (1965) - here's what's coming for the next 4 years

Disneyland '61 (1961) - What you can do in the park as of now

Kodak presents Disneyland '59 (1959) - openings of Matterhorn, Submarine Voyage and Monorail

Backstage Party (1961) - wrap party for Babes in Toyland

All About Magic (1957) - ended with promo for Cinderella re-release

One Hour in Wonderland (1950) - Disney's first TV program, promoting Alice in Wonderland

4th Anniversary Show (1957) - promoted new Zorro series and Rainbow Road to Oz movie (never made)

A Progress Report / Nature's Half-Acre (1955) - we're still building Disneyland

....Need more examples? I got lots of DVD boxes to read from! :D

Wish someone could find the space Mountain announcement. It was amazing for the time. Probably 1973-ish. And yes I know Walt did not appear in it.

Oh man! They're getting Ford to host this?! Crap. I can't stand Harrison Ford. He's a great actor, but a bitter and ungrateful old fart too.
And you are a scruffy looking...

jt04

In April, 1965 Walt Disney went on national TV, in color, and showed the audience plans for his upcoming Haunted Mansion attraction. The Haunted Mansion had no plans to open in 1965 or 1966, and in fact didn't open until August, 1969 over four years after this show aired.

Walt couldn't even remember what the thing was going to be called. "Haunted Mansion and Supernatural" doesn't really have a ring to it. Perhaps the prop man on the set shouldn't have given Walt that glass of bourbon he asked for before the cameras began rolling. :cool:

Attraction development is like fine wine. The best take time.The haunted Mansion is a special vintage which is still loved.

BrerJon

I'll be amazed if there's anything new here. Remember, for us theme park fanboys we've studied concept art, looked at google maps for potential sites, and analysed what little info we have to bits, but most people won't even be aware there *are* any Star Wars lands coming, so this will be for them.

Expect a clip from Force Awakens, Harrison Ford delivering pretty much the same pitch we heard at D23, and the same concept art, with a plug for new Star Tours at the end.

glvsav37

Given the fact that your hyperbole is so out of control (I never said anything about the "root of everything wrong" - my goodness!) I'll just nod and smile, LOL. I made a simple statement that you are blowing so far out of proportion, and are getting so emotional about, that it's really not productive to continue.

I stand by my statement that it's premature for Disney to hype up Star Wars content at WDW. I'd almost give Disneyland a pass because that light-speed version of Space Mountain is so sweet, and they have actually made an effort, but the recycled content at WDW along with a new, poorly received walk-through that is largely empty (I mean come on, they had to fill a room with Disney Infinity console games? LOL) is really pathetic for them to already be crowing about.

You are free to disagree.

its all good....ok so maybe it wasn't the 'root of all evil' but claiming the company as 'desperate' and 'pathetic' makes it sound like your just as much offended by it.

I'm just highly confused by the complainers around this.

In general:
1. They can't NOT do anything with the IP. Its hot, its current and there are people who will pay to see whats out there. Just look at every product being branded with SW since late November.
2. They paid BILLIONS of dollars for this IP. And yes, the movie did phenomenal, but they still need the franchise to gain revenue. Even if its off the backs of the casual guest.
3. Could they prob do more with the 'staging' area. Sure, but whats the draw? Its not a set or cardboard cut out, its the fact that for the first time you can get M&G's with these guys everyday, not just a few weekends out of the year. Why spend extra money on something that is being torn down eventually.
4. Again, what difference does it make....you are not the audience. Its like getting ed at Nike for producing ads about running, but you can't run for anything. Like I said, there is nothing untrue in those ads, just stuff that you deem "unworth it"...but thats not the same for everyone.

So i really don't get the reason you and some others are calling Disney pathetic.

you're done, I'm done....we will both look at this marketing and the new special in opposite lights

AEfx

Expect a clip from Force Awakens, Harrison Ford delivering pretty much the same pitch we heard at D23, and the same concept art, with a plug for new Star Tours at the end.

I'm sure there will be a tidbit at least. And since Harrison isn't really one to do something like this for more personal publicity (like what they would normally use, like your average Disney star), I'm wondering if there is a reason that he is taking part - perhaps, they may announce that he will be part of the MF attraction. Makes perfect sense to me - at least his voice.

I know there was some controversy over his likeness in Indiana Jones Ride at DL (maybe @marni1971 knows the details on that?) but since Harrison has changed his tune about so much in general about Star Wars, etc. - it just may happen. To be honest, it was the first thing I thought about when I heard his name mentioned - I mean, how does one have a MF ride without Han Solo as part of it?

Maerj

You're right. We are chomping. But I'm willing to bet we don't get anything that those of us on this forum don't already know....or have heard rumors of.

Sure but its not really for us but the general public. Plus, it doesn't matter, we'll all be watching it anyway. :)

JohnD

But I believe a network TV special (even one that's showing instead of some show that possibly even isn't worth watching) should be showing Complete Attractions Ready To Open, not blue sky stuff. Again, this is about the stock price.

Walt Disney. What a doofus! Yes, I know what became of his plans are a whole different discussion. But I guess you know more than Walt.

beachlover4444

Personally I love any Disney TV shows whether they are promos or whatever. I have all the old July 4th specials on VHS every easter and christmas parade on VHS, A special with New Kids at Hollywood Studios and when Nsync was brand new there and Dick Tracy. Living in northeast Ohio we love seeing Disney, seeing Florida, yes it gets you pumped up for the next trip. I can say those special have definitely played a part in me being there over 40 times since our first visit in 1989. Duh, yes it's a way to promote the parks, the movies etc. Why do you think celebrities show up on GMA, Jimmy Kimmel, Ellen, The View, they are there to hawk their latest project. Natalie Portman and Kate Hudson are making their rounds promoting their new stuff so you hating on them too? Kudos to Disney for getting Derek Hough (cant do no wrong) to host it and to get Harrison Ford to narrate, wow. It will be a ratings bonanza.

BrerJon

I'm sure there will be a tidbit at least. And since Harrison isn't really one to do something like this for more personal publicity (like what they would normally use, like your average Disney star), I'm wondering if there is a reason that he is taking part - perhaps, they may announce that he will be part of the MF attraction. Makes perfect sense to me - at least his voice.

Oh that makes sense, actually. "And best of all, you'll be able to join me as my co-pilot on the Millennium Falcon..." Yeah I could see them doing that.

Tay

Even though SWL will more than likely open late 2020 I'm excited for this. It's Disney. You already know they aren't going to show much because they're going to take forever and go over budget. I really hope they start on something in between TSL and SWL.

Captain Neo

And when under Iger's administration has anything opened on time? And you do realize that it could open Dec 31 2018 and STILL be opening in 2018...

Uhhh Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, Cars Land, New Fantasyland, The Little Mermaid, World of Color, Toy Story Midway Mania, and just about everything else opened when scheduled? What exactly hasn't opened on time??

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Walt Disney. What a doofus! Yes, I know what became of his plans are a whole different discussion. But I guess you know more than Walt.

Key difference is Walt actually INTENDED to do the things he talked about, Those shows were not about hyping experiences which don't currently exist to boost the stock price.

According to @WDW1974 there was a huge WDW refresh project planned starting 2008 (yes I know financial crisis and all) Iger chose to kill it and use the money to boost the stock instead, UNI chose to use the depressed environment to build new attractions inexpensively (HPL anyone?).

We have two diametrically opposed philosophies in play in Orlando 1 - Invest in the STOCK, 2 - Invest in the BUSINESS. Anyone care to guess which Disney is doing?

JohnD

Key difference is Walt actually INTENDED to do the things he talked about, Those shows were not about hyping experiences which don't currently exist to boost the stock price.

According to @WDW1974 there was a huge WDW refresh project planned starting 2008 (yes I know financial crisis and all) Iger chose to kill it and use the money to boost the stock instead, UNI chose to use the depressed environment to build new attractions inexpensively (HPL anyone?).

We have two diametrically opposed philosophies in play in Orlando 1 - Invest in the STOCK, 2 - Invest in the BUSINESS. Anyone care to guess which Disney is doing?

It's mind boggling. They're totally overhauling HS with Toy Story Land and SW Land but they're not supposed to talk about or promote it on a network that they own. I must be living a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's mind boggling. They're totally overhauling HS with Toy Story Land and SW Land but they're not supposed to talk about or promote it on a network that they own. I must be living a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away.

Yeah so exciting some off the shelf flat carnie rides with overscaled fibreglas statuary and a mythical land for which not a single contract has been let or a permit pulled.

Go to DLP and tell me how AWESOME TSL is, In reality it's awesomely bad. And had Disney REALLY wanted to get the TSL attraction open they've had 18 months where a huge chunk of DHS has been closed to the public. At WDW the WILL to open new attractions is lacking.

JohnD

Yeah so exciting some off the shelf flat carnie rides with overscaled fibreglas statuary and a mythical land for which not a single contract has been let or a permit pulled.

Go to DLP and tell me how AWESOME TSL is, In reality it's awesomely bad. And had Disney REALLY wanted to get the TSL attraction open they've had 18 months where a huge chunk of DHS has been closed to the public. At WDW the WILL to open new attractions is lacking.

Ford, I get that everything with you is the glass is always empty. I'm not a pixie duster, though. I may have criticisms as with anything later on. But give me a break. People like you complain that HS is half (or less than half) of what it used to be. They then come up with plans for the lands in HS. You complain about that. Disney, owning ABC, decides to promote the lands that they are building. You complain about that. If they never promoted it, you would complain about that too, accusing them of hiding what a bad expansion (as you have already opined) they are building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom