Feb. 21st Star Wars land preview on ABC

Mike S

My assumption was him speaking of acquiring the HP franchise- not just the rights to the theme park. I think anyone with half a brain would know that HP land wouldnt be 30% of what it is now if Disney won that deal- not to mention, like you stated, how SWL and Avatar would be shells of what we are actually going to get. Thank the theme park Gods Uni got HP to teach the mouse a lesson on how it's done.
There was a rumor that Disney's HP pitch was basically TSMM with wands. Yeeeeeeeeeeeah................

jt04

No- but Lucas was clearly more motivated with how his baby would be managed vs how much money he was getting. Don't underestimate his intimate relationship with Pixar and how Disney handled that particular acquisition and how that gave Iger and Disney a significant advantage. Namely- track record.

Iger is a lot of expletives that I would love to call him. But one thing is for certain- his relationships he built through his time with ABC and his ability to negotiate and acquire/merge companies has been his biggest benefit. His legacy could literally end with just rescuing and completing the Pixar sale- but then to compile Marvel and Lucas on top of that makes him remarkable. Can't stand the guy- but that's one thing he excels at more than almost anyone. He is brilliant in that regard. Credit where it's due. As for WDW- well, all you'll get are symbols if I were to express my feelings there.

I think when you see completed Pandora, Disney Springs, TSL and SWL, DHS 2.0 and AK 2.0 and then you realize after a short flight you can experience DCA 2.0, Carsland and the rumored Marvel land (someday?), well, you just might see everything a bit differently.

JohnD

While I completely understand Disney promoting the HS SW Land expansion, anyone else get the feeling that Ford narrating it is because of a contract requirement? I just can't picture him excitedly and willingly doing this.

dstrawn9889

While I completely understand Disney promoting the HS SW Land expansion, anyone else get the feeling that Ford narrating it is because of a contract requirement? I just can't picture him excitedly and willingly doing this.
throw enough money at it, they will smile and dance the jig while conveying information

BrerJon

His legacy could literally end with just rescuing and completing the Pixar sale- but then to compile Marvel and Lucas on top of that makes him remarkable.

In retrospect I don't know if the Pixar deal is all that amazing really. At the time, WDFA was down the tubes and Pixar was producing amazing films every year, but nowadays they're a cheapquel factory producing average films at best, or mediocre originals - Inside Out being the only decent one of the last five years, so if the Disney of 2016 didn't own them it wouldn't be the end of the world.

FrankLapidus

Not really. I thought he was surprisingly enthusastic about returning in all of the promotional work he did for the TFA, he got quite choked up at Comic Con talking about coming back to Star Wars so I do think he is genuinely happy to be involved. He might not share the love for it that the fans do but I've never gotten the impression that he's been forced into or was unhappy doing any of the promotion he's done for the franchise since he agreed to come back to it, he was talking Chewbacca down from the edge of a roof on Jimmy Kimmel last month so I can't imagine him having to be pushed into being involved in this preview.

Capsin4

So any guesses as to the planet we will be visiting? I'm wondering if it will be Maz Kanta's from Ep. VII. Falcon parked out front plus a Cantina like environment.

The description of Takodana on Wookipedia fits perfectly with what little has been said about the themeing officially.

Covered in lush forests and small lakes, Takodana was a popular departure point that offered easy access to trade routes that connected the Inner and Outer Rim. For those heading outwards toward the galactic periphery, the planet was seen as a last taste of civilization, while those heading Corewards saw it a last grasp of frontier living. Travelers found the planet's neutrality and distance from galactic politics appealing, and as a result Takodana became a haven for fugitives, smugglers, and explorers.

doctornick

The description of Takodana on Wookipedia fits perfectly with what little has been said about the themeing officially.

I feel it is likely that the setting for SWL will be someplace that appears in the new trilogy. Takodana certainly seems plausible. When they announced SWL, they referred to the location as "a never-before-seen planet" which sounds to me like a place that would be introduced in the future. They also described it as "a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space" so you are right that Takodana fits.

Capsin4

I feel it is likely that the setting for SWL will be someplace that appears in the new trilogy. Takodana certainly seems plausible. When they announced SWL, they referred to the location as "a never-before-seen planet" which sounds to me like a place that would be introduced in the future. They also described it as "a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space" so you are right that Takodana fits.

I'd even bet Takodana makes another appearance in the Han origin story. It's a great place to start out as a young smuggler.

DarthMileZ

i thought they would most likely expand on the endor scene they already have.. i don't think we've seen the last of that planet within the new trilogy (or further)

i doubt though they will focus on just one planet, it will probably be very mixed..

Maz's castle would be so cool

danlb_2000

Premium Member
i thought they would most likely expand on the endor scene they already have.. i don't think we've seen the last of that planet within the new trilogy (or further)

i doubt though they will focus on just one planet, it will probably be very mixed..

Maz's castle would be so cool

They have already said this land will be set on a "new" planet so it doesn't sound like the land itself will be made up of different planets. What we don't know is if this is a planet for the new trilogy or a planet made up just for the theme parks.

DarthMileZ

Interesting that suprises me, maybe Naboo? quite an exotic setting that would work well, and it was included in the original trilogy rereleases... would be interesting if we see it in the new movies.

WildcatDen

Yeah so exciting some off the shelf flat carnie rides with overscaled fibreglas statuary and a mythical land for which not a single contract has been let or a permit pulled.

Go to DLP and tell me how AWESOME TSL is, In reality it's awesomely bad. And had Disney REALLY wanted to get the TSL attraction open they've had 18 months where a huge chunk of DHS has been closed to the public. At WDW the WILL to open new attractions is lacking.
Broken record you are, New script you need.

Maerj

Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, stated that the land "will introduce you to a Star Wars planet you've never seen before — a gateway planet located on the outer rim, full of places and characters familiar and not so familiar." The land will immerse the guest into the Star Wars Universe.

Maerj

No, they have said it's a planet we have not seen before.

Yeah, I think that the reason they are going with a new, unique planet that we've never seen before is so that fans can't say "Well THIS wasn't on THIS world in the movies!" As long as it has certain elements from the films, making it a new, unique world gives them a lot more leeway. Not a bad idea really. Although I would have preferred an entire SW theme park with multiple worlds but this will be okay.

DarthMileZ

a multiple world would have been cool, like a star wars version of epcot with the death star. i think they missed a trick there :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom