FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

71jason

I wonder if Disney is ready for the PR avalanche nightmare to come if they implement some of what is being rumored. Then again the rumors seem to be all over the place with specifics right now so I guess we’ll wait and see…but either way it certainly continues to look more and more like Disney just wants to suck every $ out of guests they can moreso than provide the best experience

They had to do something to halt the death of a 1,000 PR cuts that was occurring at least a half decade prior to COVID. Everyone seems to forget that despite being a decent year economically, 2019 was horrible for Orlando theme parks. The preference cascade had started.

That GAC lawsuit makes clear--lines are the biggest driver of guest satisfaction. Up to 15 minutes is ok, over 20 scores go downhill fast. Lack of new attractions (especially people-eating omnimovers) is the biggest cause of that, but FastPass a strong #2. They admitted this in the lawsuit. FastPass in its existing form needed to go. If anything, this is softening the blow, not totally destroying it but still leaving a pricey alternative for those who want zero lines.

It's ultimately a problem of perception. Many guests saw FastPass as a good thing, but the 15 minutes they saved for one ride turned into an extra 30 minute wait elsewhere. Universal became a much better park when they ditched their pastiche of old school FastPass for the current paid system in the early 00s. Long term, I imagine this will do the same for Disney.

Naplesgolfer

They had to do something to halt the death of a 1,000 PR cuts that was occurring at least a half decade prior to COVID. Everyone seems to forget that despite being a decent year economically, 2019 was horrible for Orlando theme parks. The preference cascade had started.

That GAC lawsuit makes clear--lines are the biggest driver of guest satisfaction. Up to 15 minutes is ok, over 20 scores go downhill fast. Lack of new attractions (especially people-eating omnimovers) is the biggest cause of that, but FastPass a strong #2. They admitted this in the lawsuit. FastPass in its existing form needed to go. If anything, this is softening the blow, not totally destroying it but still leaving a pricey alternative for those who want zero lines.

It's ultimately a problem of perception. Many guests saw FastPass as a good thing, but the 15 minutes they saved for one ride turned into an extra 30 minute wait elsewhere. Universal became a much better park when they ditched their pastiche of old school FastPass for the current paid system in the early 00s. Long term, I imagine this will do the same for Disney.
IMHO Universals satisfaction advantage comes from their superior guest to ride ratio. Islands of Adventure has 14 rides and 13million guests. Epcot has about the same attendance and 8 rides. Animal kingdom is similar . Magic kingdom has 18 rides but over 20 million guests. Disney just need more to do and no system of line access they come up with can really solve this.

Last edited:

PirateFrank

explaining Fastpass+'s failure in 20 words or less. Bravo!

Clapping Applause GIF

StarshipDisney

I have stayed at Portofino Bay hotel at Universal several times and their Pass system was always included at no extra charge. Does Disney plan to do this for their Deluxe resorts? Not only is Portofino Bay much cheaper then a Disney deluxe resort, if Disney thinks I am going to shell out $1100+ per night and then pay the discussed $300/person/day for FP then Disney has simply lost me as a customer. Perhaps there are enough people out there to keep Disney afloat with this outrageous business model...but even though I CAN afford it...I will not be THAT dumb.

I love Disney, but there is a limit to my Disney madness.

Naplesgolfer

I have stayed at Portofino Bay hotel at Universal several times and their Pass system was always included at no extra charge. Does Disney plan to do this for their Deluxe resorts? Not only is Portofino Bay much cheaper then a Disney deluxe resort, if Disney thinks I am going to shell out $1100+ per night and then pay the discussed $300/person/day for FP then Disney has simply lost me as a customer. Perhaps there are enough people out there to keep Disney afloat with this outrageous business model...but even though I CAN afford it...I will not be THAT dumb.

Disney has too many Deluxe rooms to offer a every ride express pass even if they wanted to do this. Universal offers this on only 2500 rooms.

Disstevefan1

We did a one night stay at Portofino, it was great because you room card was the express pass and we got two days of express passes one on check in day and one on check out day!

I hope WDW does something like this for their deluxe resort guests and DVCers, but Disney will do what Disney will do... Let’s see what happens..

mattpeto

Disney has too many Deluxe rooms to offer a every ride express pass even if they wanted to do this. Universal offers this on only 2500 rooms.

Agreed. Again, I think Disney offering this benefit to Deluxe guests for free has no chance since Deluxes = DVC. While it would incentivize Blue Card sales, it feels it wouldn't make sense long-term (as offerings for new DVC's will vary). Plus, not sure why they would throw back a perk to previous Blue Card owners, when they could end up profiting from it instead?

What I could see is the option be an smaller upcharge for resort guests to help promote why you should stay at a Disney resort, but the are clearly not into Bubble Perks right now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That GAC lawsuit makes clear--lines are the biggest driver of guest satisfaction. Up to 15 minutes is ok, over 20 scores go downhill fast. Lack of new attractions (especially people-eating omnimovers) is the biggest cause of that, but FastPass a strong #2. They admitted this in the lawsuit.
Tangent... have you seen the specific evidence entered in the case, or just heard people talking about it? I'd like to find the source content.

MattM

I wonder if Disney is ready for the PR avalanche nightmare to come if they implement some of what is being rumored. Then again the rumors seem to be all over the place with specifics right now so I guess we’ll wait and see…but either way it certainly continues to look more and more like Disney just wants to suck every $ out of guests they can moreso than provide the best experience
Seems like this is always said and the nightmare never happens. I recall a, ahem, "spirited" discussion about how RFID wristbands were going to be the end of the company and well....here we are.

CosmicRays

The problem now is there are 3 people waiting to pay even more than that.

Markiewong

Disneyland Paris was already asking $150 for low season and $180 for high season for an unlimited fastpass. And they cover only 9 attractions. I don't see how $300 is outside of the realm of possibilities. The prices are on top of your entrance fee.

They were sold in three formats: a single entrance, in packs of three, single access to all or unlimited. I can imagine WDW taking a similar approach.
1622563029976.png

DisneyCane

Disneyland Paris was already asking $150 for low season and $180 for high season for an unlimited fastpass. And they cover only 9 attractions. I don't see how $300 is outside of the realm of possibilities. The prices are on top of your entrance fee.

They were sold in three formats: a single entrance, in packs of three, single access to all or unlimited. I can imagine WDW taking a similar approach.
View attachment 561243
It HAS to be priced very expensive or it would become useless and not worth any amount, no matter how low. If you price it low enough for a significant percentage of guests to buy it then the FP line will be longer than standby unless you limit the inventory. Since obviously the inventory will have to be limited, pricing it low makes no sense because then Disney is leaving a lot of money on the table. They need to price it high enough that the price limits the inventory.

Some combination of raise all prices, cap the park capacity, charge A LOT for a FP+ replacement and possibly implement virtual queues at select attractions will lead to a better experience with shorter waits on average and more revenue for Disney. It's just no longer going to be a park for the masses like Walt envisioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom