It's so comically generic

Watch movie scenes while in the queue
Enter a larger queue with a replica vehicle
Say hi to the stars of the film and board some large group vehicle
Oh no! The bad guys from the film are attacking you because reasons
Don't worry the heroes are here to protect your vehicle
Good work! You were brave and survived, the heroes are impressed
Exit through the gift shop

And then the most generic and cliche' ride experience they could have conjured up outside of making it another stationary theater simulator.

c-one

I can't see how but can at the very least hope they cleaned up the video a little bit. I guess it's technically impressive in the way Kong is, but perhaps because it's meant to be "realistic" with a real-world based setting, comes off as more obviously flat and CGI'ed. The films are cartoony but not THAT kind of cartoony, and it really ruins the vibe. One of a host of problems with the entire concept.

It's like if Universal got the rights to Jurassic Park, but decided to build one of those traveling dinosaur exhibits with the IP instead of the raft ride.

TwilightZone

I can't see how but can at the very least hope they cleaned up the video a little bit. I guess it's technically impressive in the way Kong is, but perhaps because it's meant to be "realistic" with a real-world based setting, comes off as more obviously flat and CGI'ed. The films are cartoony but not THAT kind of cartoony, and it really ruins the vibe. One of a host of problems with the entire concept.

It's like if Universal got the rights to Jurassic Park, but decided to build one of those traveling dinosaur exhibits with the IP instead of the raft ride.
yeah, I've been to it in person and the obviously fake cgi was a huge disappointment, I was expecting to at least see the actors with cgi sets for the ride after seeing the commercials and the pepper's ghost effect. It was even more disappointing after kong, which I personally thought was incredible, and the cgi was realistic enough to not get you out of the moment, unlike fast and the furious. Oh well.

lebeau

Except they won't, because it's a virtual queue :(

I don't know... we spent a lot of time waiting in the "virtual queue" for Race Through New York. Since we had EP, we spent more time waiting in line for that ride than anything else.

matt9112

I don't know... we spent a lot of time waiting in the "virtual queue" for Race Through New York. Since we had EP, we spent more time waiting in line for that ride than anything else.

I had no EP and rode race through new York rather easily went and got a ticket than rode more rides returned (roughly two hours later) and got let in and they called blue immediately (my color) and rode. felt like legacy fast pass and I like that.

FlordIAN

"Your favorite film clips will play on screens throughout the queue." C'mon, that's Six Flags level crap. As a whole this doesn't sound like the worst thing ever but I'm not too excited.
Really?! Really Comcast?! Six Flags can get away with that because they don't really have a major competitor and aren't trying to compete with Disney. But for a division like Universal Parks, that is in direct competition with Disney, it is unacceptable to be cheap, ESPECIALLY when Disney is planning some really huge stuff for their parks. FF: Supercharged won't even make it a year.

JoeCamel

Really?! Really Comcast?! Six Flags can get away with that because they don't really have a major competitor and aren't trying to compete with Disney. But for a division like Universal Parks, that is in direct competition with Disney, it is unacceptable to be cheap, ESPECIALLY when Disney is planning some really huge stuff for their parks. FF: Supercharged won't even make it a year.
I have 5 billion reasons why you are wrong. It will be a steady draw with low GSAT numbers but it will be around far more than a year. So 1/7/19 be prepared to post that you were wrong.

Last edited:

lebeau

I had no EP and rode race through new York rather easily went and got a ticket than rode more rides returned (roughly two hours later) and got let in and they called blue immediately (my color) and rode. felt like legacy fast pass and I like that.

EP lets you skip the return time, but once you get in everyone is essentially equal. We rode twice during our summer trip and both times waited a total of 15-20 minutes. That's not bad and I would rather wait in a lounge than in a line. But the longest wait we had for any other ride using EP was around 5 minutes. So in our experience, the virtual queue was actually disadvantage to EP users. Without EP, sure, it beats waiting in line.

matt9112

EP lets you skip the return time, but once you get in everyone is essentially equal. We rode twice during our summer trip and both times waited a total of 15-20 minutes. That's not bad and I would rather wait in a lounge than in a line. But the longest wait we had for any other ride using EP was around 5 minutes. So in our experience, the virtual queue was actually disadvantage to EP users. Without EP, sure, it beats waiting in line.

I understand EP never needed it the parks are a far cry from Disney. waited 0 minutes once in the lounge. there were tons of people just hanging out in there. so besides a return time that let us ride other rides (like legacy FP) was good and I enjoyed the ride I think the critics are too harsh. it's a nice filler. just like fast And furious will be.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I have 5 billion reasons why you are wrong. It will be a steady draw with low GSAT numbers but it will be around far more than a year. So 1/7/19 be prepared to post that you were wrong.
I'm sure it will technically be a success, but we shouldn't pat Universal on the back just because people will ride it, it's almost definitely one of the laziest rides ever conceived (for a major theme park).

JoeCamel

I'm sure it will technically be a success, but we shouldn't pat Universal on the back just because people will ride it, it's almost definitely one of the laziest rides ever conceived (for a major theme park).
I'm not doing any patting but a hyperbolic "It won't last a year" is just sophmoronic.

ThemeParkJunkee

Okay Fast and Furious fans, just so I actually know who the characters are, which one of the overwhelming number of films in this franchise do you recommend I watch? I will not have time to watch all of them but I don't want to be completely clueless like I was in Hollywood.

JT3000

Okay Fast and Furious fans, just so I actually know who the characters are, which one of the overwhelming number of films in this franchise do you recommend I watch? I will not have time to watch all of them but I don't want to be completely clueless like I was in Hollywood.

Anything since the 5th film will best match the formula you can expect to see on the ride. The first few films didn't have all of the current characters and were more strictly about drag racing than over-the-top action set pieces.

Cameron1529

I would go with movie number one to get the feel of it. I haven't watched them all but the first one is the basics. It's a good flick but don't think it's a master piece.

Totally agree it sets the scene and really leads you into the rest of them. Wouldn't say the graphics or special effects are as up to date as today, but that is half the fun I suppose

celluloid

This is one harsh thing I will be real with. I am very excited for this to be completed and open so the focus can be on the next major project. This and Fallon back to back After at least Kong returned with some practical effects make it hard to get excited about.

WDWTank

I'm not a big fan of special effects. I have never watched a movie and said great special effects. It's part of the story not the story. Movies with cars/motorcycle etc. need to be more realistic in my opinion. Crazy no possible way to do the movie stunts in the real world just don't do it for me. The first FF is fairly doable, they do spice up the action but not to ridiculous levels.

It's like Tom Cruise movies. I simply won't watch them and haven't in a long time. Too much over the top stuff. I liked the first Mummy but the latest one with Tom Cruise, I'll pass. I just picture TC being chased around by unbelievably deadly creatures with TC barely escaping them doing totally impossible things. Throw a love interest in there for Tom, who will have zero chemistry with him and top it off with Tom killing the baddest creature in some just in time way. That how the last Mummy movie went?
The reboot film’s poster looked like an advertisement for Victoria’s Secret.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
This is one harsh thing I will be real with. I am very excited for this to be completed and open so the focus can be on the next major project. This and Fallon back to back After at least Kong returned with some practical effects make it hard to get excited about.
Everyone I talk to about Universal feels the same way. Too many screen rides and they have stopped caring about what the future holds for Universal. Hopefully after F&F they can turn this around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom