Farwell Conan

Future Guy

I'm sure Conan's new show, wherever and whenever it is, will become the proud institution that the Tonight Show once was.

And I'm sure that the only guests Leno will be able to get will be Jerry Seinfeld and Kim Jong Il.

Hrudey3032

I love Leno but felt that Conan didn't get the same chances that Leno did. Had Jay just said no to the move and allowed Coco a chance he could have said face. Sadly he looks like a bitter when in all honesty he got the shaft in 2004 from NBC. Like Carson, Jay deserved to go out on his terms but NBC freaked and blinked early.( I think Jay has some blame in this whole thing but can understand that he feels like Conan was running his show when he didn't truly want to leave) I truly hope Conan rises again on FOX as I think it is perfect for him and his demographic and that he brings Andy and Max along for the ride.
NBC has become the laughing stock of the TV industry and until Jeff Zucker leaves and NBC finds a new voice then they will stay mired in 4th place.

Hrudey3032

I'm sure Conan's new show, wherever and whenever it is, will become the proud institution that the Tonight Show once was.

And I'm sure that the only guests Leno will be able to get will be Jerry Seinfeld and Kim Jong Il.

While I think some backlash will happen at first like Dave and Jay's battle in early 90's the celebs will still come out in full force as they have no allegiences for the most part except their next big movie.

dandaman

Very surprised I managed, but I've watched every single night of Coco's show since it began in June. Heart was a little heavy seeing him come close to tearing up.

...Never though I'd say this, but c'mon, FOX! :eek:

P.S. About 8 of my friends freaked when he had the fake Smithsonian sloth fossil wash away an original Picasso at a "cost" of $65 mil. :lol:

davidpw97

I've never been a huge Conan fan but I have been watching the last few weeks because of all the drama. It's been a pretty amazing week of shows. All the late night hosts have been on top of their game this week.
Now if only I can find out how to tick my boss off enough that he offers me 30 million dollars to quit.

I was in NYC for an afternoon in 1998 and went to a taping of Late Night with Conan O'brien. Here's a pic of the cue card I got after the show. It's not dated but it's from July 15, 1998.
4297030117_da1ea619e5_m.jpg

lilclerk

I was in NYC for an afternoon in 1998 and went to a taping of Late Night with Conan O'brien. Here's a pic of the cue card I got after the show. It's not dated but it's from July 15, 1998.

I actually remember that episode :lol: I used to tape Late Night and watch it when I got home from school. Good days. I've been a huge fan of Conan for years (clearly) and hope he comes back with something great!

EPCOT Explorer

Sad to see him go, Jay should have just gone instead, wasn't he set to retire?

However...He wasn't THAT good. :lol: They way some people are reacting would have you think that he's God's gift to Late Night.

(That would be Craig Ferguson. :D)

Testtrack321

Sad to see him go, Jay should have just gone instead, wasn't he set to retire?

However...He wasn't THAT good. :lol: They way some people are reacting would have you think that he's God's gift to Late Night.

(That would be Craig Ferguson. :D)

I love Craig too, but Conan has a more absurdist view on culture and comedy, and he has more gravitas.

I don't let Jay Leno off the hook. Everyone knows a late night show requires a good lead in, and another bit comedy show wasn't it, yet Jay took it. Conan's ratings dropped 25% after Jay debuted, and Conan still wasn't allowed the several YEARS it took Jay to be #1. Jay is safe, formulaic, and passive. Conan requires more out of the viewer, and god bless him for that. I have no respect for that child anymore. And lets not get onto Zuker, with his bad decisions and selling off the long term future of the Tonight Show for a short term bump.

Also, Jimmy Fallon did a great remembrance bit with lots of little touches.

I'm stopping watching all NBC programming due to this.

diddy_mouse

I started watching Conan when I was in college and loved the show! I can't wait to see him back on the air.

Funny story: While at school I had my boyfriend (now husband) steal a picture of Conan interviewing himself from one of the locked ad boxes. :lol: I still have it and it's framed and hanging in our media room.

harveyt0206

Thought last nights show was perfect. Conan hit all right notes: funny, absurd (hello rare sloth fossil) and poignant.

Will not be watching any reincarnation of the Tonight Show, unless NBC reconsiders and gives it back to Conan WITH a strong lead in.

Jasonflz

:( While I am not someone who watches late night tv, I caught Conan's final run and I was sad to see him go. It was nice for Tom Hanks and Will Ferrell to show up. (and Steve Carell's performance bit was hilarious)

GenerationX

Late Night King: Steve Allen --> Johnny Carson --> David Letterman --> Conan O'Brien. When Conan gets another show and Dave retires, Conan will be the standard bearer.

On a separate note, Conan wrote the funniest Simpson's episode of all-time (and that's saying something): New Kid on the Block. He also wrote two others that are definitely in the top tier of Simpsons episodes: Marge vs. the Monorail and Homer Goes to College. Too many great lines to mention.

DiPSU224

I'm a huge Conan fan and I've been watching him since the late 90's. When he took his show to Toronto a few years back, my husband won us tickets in a raffle. I waited 8 hours in negative degree temperatures for the chance to get into the taping. My legs were numb and I couldn't stop shivering until the taping was well over, but I had never been so excited for it. If anyone remembers, it was the show where he taped himself as a Mountie stopping cars at the border.
If it weren't for The Office being my favorite show, I would never watch NBC again. So sorry to see him go. Hope better things await him. I know I'll be watching.

EPCOT Explorer

Late Night King: Steve Allen --> Johnny Carson --> David Letterman --> Conan O'Brien. When Conan gets another show and Dave retires, Conan will be the standard bearer.

On a separate note, Conan wrote the funniest Simpson's episode of all-time (and that's saying something): New Kid on the Block. He also wrote two others that are definitely in the top tier of Simpsons episodes: Marge vs. the Monorail and Homer Goes to College. Too many great lines to mention.

He wrote those!? Well, I have a new respect for CoCo, then. :D

Mikester71

Have always loved Conan since the beginning and thought it was incredibly classy of him to thank NBC on his final show for giving him his start on TV. Got choked up a little myself seeing him get choked up. :(

He has too much talent not to be on TV and will be back in some medium by the end of the year for sure! :sohappy:

Erika

Have always loved Conan since the beginning and thought it was incredibly classy of him to thank NBC on his final show for giving him his start on TV. Got choked up a little myself seeing him get choked up. :(

He has too much talent not to be on TV and will be back in some medium by the end of the year for sure! :sohappy:

Agreed!

Saw this on the web and thought it was interesting.

From 1992:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/23/a...-nbc-on-tonight-cliffhanger.html?pagewanted=1

And yet Mr. Leno said he had not received any assurances from NBC executives in New York that he would not be dropped in favor of Mr. Letterman by Jan. 15. That is the deadline NBC is facing to match a CBS offer to give Mr. Letterman about $16 million to star in a nightly talk show at 11:30, the same time as the "Tonight" show.

"I am disappointed," Mr. Leno said. "I feel like a guy who has bought a car from somebody, painted it, fixed it up and made it look nice and then the guy comes back and says he promised to sell the car to his brother-in-law." Go Elsewhere? 'Of Course'

Mr. Leno said he would "obviously leave NBC immediately" if the network decided to give the "Tonight" show to Mr. Letterman. He said he would absolutely refuse to do a show in the 12:30 A.M. spot now occupied by Mr. Letterman's show, "Late Night," and would indeed consider creating the same problem for NBC that Mr. Letterman's proposed deal with CBS caused.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom