Fantasyland Philosophy

Figment632

Eddie Sotto pretty muched sumed this whole expansion for me!

Eddie Sotto
Just dropping in (been on the road) to say that I agree with those who value the proposed Fantasyland "placemaking" efforts in MK. I did not go to D23 or any of that stuff, but looked at the art online.

I have always loved the little "Storybookland Canal Boat" ride at Disneyland where you can visit all of these different villages and Castles in the miniature countryside. What they are showing in the art for MK "beyond the castle walls" is making that idea real to an extent and that's great. MK needs those hilltop forced perspective castles in the distance and the magical sense that Fantasyland is somewhat limitless. The little castle atop the "Queen of Hearts" TDL Restaurant actually looks believable so I'm converted into thinking you almost can force anything if the math is done right. MK Fantasyland is very literal in its architecture, borrowing more from Castles of the real world, and needs the DLP fantasy aspect injected asap. Putting the newer, more fanciful design "beyond the wall" allows both styles to exist and actually will make a nice contrast IMHO. I could see them repeating this in other parks where it makes sense.

Of course, it's a "Princess Collection" version of Toontown where the Character "meet and greet" IS the attraction, but that's valid. They wouldn't do it if there was not the demand for it. I do wonder if there is enough in F'land for young boys to do, but that's always been an issue. Not exactly a Harry Potter competitor in a direct sense, but maybe it's not meant to, just an essential that is overdue. It's about time there was a payoff behind that amazing Castle. It's time for the MK to actually have some more magic back there, and this looks like it will add that. It looks thematically VERY rich and will be something everyone will want to explore. The Mermaid Ride should be great as well. Just my two cents.

Bravo WDI.

Animaniac93-98

I'm worried about wait times as well, but I'm more worried about waiting an hour for each of them.

I assume the Belle attraction will just be an indoor (and that's a good thing!) version of the current storytime show so it'll have the same capacity. The Cinderella show will have two theaters so it hopefully won't have capacity issues, but Aurora's meet and greet sounds like the worst of the 3 because it's only 1 space and there is no set time for making the cards, or if there is some kid's gonna complain about how he or she did not get sufficient time to finish his/her card.

Figment632

I assume the Belle attraction will just be an indoor (and that's a good thing!) version of the current storytime show so it'll have the same capacity. The Cinderella show will have two theaters so it hopefully won't have capacity issues, but Aurora's meet and greet sounds like the worst of the 3 because it's only 1 space and there is no set time for making the cards, or if there is some kid's gonna complain about how he or she did not get sufficient time to finish his/her card.

:brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::brick:

The Conundrum

OP im pretty sure what he was refering to was that rides like the Carousel, Mad Hatter, and Dumbo always have the biggest lines and kids love them so he wants to improve them and do things like the Dumbo nextgen queue so that the waits wont be so unbearable.

He was not at all talking about the meet/greets

The Conundrum

Also, there would be alot more to enjoy if Disney didnt REMOVE the skyway, the watercrafts of the rivers of america, 20k under the sea, etc. Not only would kids enjoy these attractions but adults as well!

I can only laugh that Disney takes away rides and then 20 years later offers meet and greets "for the kids" to try and make up for it. What a joke and im not falling for it.

All I know is kids LOVE fantasyland in Disneyland because everywhere you turn there are RIDES, RIDES, RIDES! for not just kids but everyone! From Matterhorn to Mr.Toad! From Alice in Wonderland to Casey Jr! We got something for everyone and the business model works. Not only that but they are updated every few years (Wonderland was recently upgraded with some new special effects) so they are constantly fresh.

Biff215

To be honest, I've never thought Disneyworld is an appropriate place for toddlers. Long lines, unforgivable climate, lots of walking about.

If a child needs a stroller, it had better not be brought to Disney.

Alas, I realize this is no longer feasible. Disney, in the public imagination, is a place where you bring your toddler. The actual experience for toddlers for the past fifty years has been mostly underwhelming. Not all that much fun for the very, very young.

Currently, the park is being rebuild to make it conform to the public image of it: Toddlerland. Alladdin spinners, playgrounds, and the new FL childcare activity centres.

Pity. WDW becomes less interesting to adults, and loses the street credibility for slightly older children. If I were a twelve year old boy, and my family were to drive me to the Magic Toddlerkingdom, I'd lie about it to my friends.

Wow, you would really hate me then. We've had our daughter to WDW twice by her first birthday. While she may not have lasting memories of these trips, the time spent as a family was certainly well worth it! And even though we couldn't ride many of the attractions we used to without kids, we found plenty that all three of us could enjoy, even without the new FL which is a welcome addition for me either way.

I just think it's a shame that some people think every attraction needs to be built to their personal liking.

And street cred...seriously???

fw1987

I have 4 boys and here is my take:

I will take a detailed, themed, emersive overhaul like this any time over simply adding rides that would appeal to my boys.

Now my hope is that they will have built a platform that they can build off of for years to come, and that the additions up next will appeal to more than the princess crowd.

This is a home run. If within 5 years they add a few dark rides and more appeal to the broader audience, this will be a grand slam.

Cheers.

Bluewaves

Alright lets be honest here, what are they replacing, crappy toon town, it looks like a parking lot with some tents, not a tree in sight its hotter than a certain place all the time and crowded to ungodly levels, what are we getting a new e-ticket, thank god, an upgraded Dumbo, woohoo, and hey some meet and greets that we already had just cleaned up a whole heck of a lot.

I would say major improvement and to top it off a new place to eat because getting reservations in the MK is near impossible, plain and simple. Not to mention the busiest theme park in the world should have some more options to eat than it has already.

So stop your whining, its better than what we have now and you should be very thankful for that because they always could have just said what we have now works and just not spend any money on it.

panther726

:rolleyes:

But those rides are some of Disney's best. There's no fanboy who would say the opposite.

Exactly. One of my favorite rides at WDW is Muppetvision, that isn't E ticket. I'm just saying, some people would complain if they announced that FL would be receiving a C or D ticket instead of an E.

hack2112

Alright lets be honest here, what are they replacing, crappy toon town, it looks like a parking lot with some tents, not a tree in sight its hotter than a certain place all the time and crowded to ungodly levels, what are we getting a new e-ticket, thank god, an upgraded Dumbo, woohoo, and hey some meet and greets that we already had just cleaned up a whole heck of a lot.

I would say major improvement and to top it off a new place to eat because getting reservations in the MK is near impossible, plain and simple. Not to mention the busiest theme park in the world should have some more options to eat than it has already.

So stop your whining, its better than what we have now and you should be very thankful for that because they always could have just said what we have now works and just not spend any money on it.

But it's our job as the consumer to not be complacent, but to keep asking for more. For the next big idea. And though TLM is going to be a stellar attraction, and will prove the omnimover will never go out of style, right now I am looking at US for what they've been working with Potter, and the next generation of the Spiderman ride vehicle (Transformers). The fact that TDO is not willing to put the money into SM to at least make it comparable to DL's is rather sad.

Slowjack

Also, there would be alot more to enjoy if Disney didnt REMOVE the skyway, the watercrafts of the rivers of america, 20k under the sea, etc. Not only would kids enjoy these attractions but adults as well!

I can only laugh that Disney takes away rides and then 20 years later offers meet and greets "for the kids" to try and make up for it. What a joke and im not falling for it.
That's a good point. They have pulled out a number of family-friendly attractions over the years.

I don't really have a problem with the addition of the "plussed" meet-and-greets, but I can't say they'll add anything to the MK experience for me. I don't want to be the parents in the concept art sitting on the bench watching the children play. Not that I don't enjoy watching my daughter play, but I don't need to go to Florida to do that.

The Conundrum

That's a good point. They have pulled out a number of family-friendly attractions over the years.

I don't really have a problem with the addition of the "plussed" meet-and-greets, but I can't say they'll add anything to the MK experience for me. I don't want to be the parents in the concept art sitting on the bench watching the children play. Not that I don't enjoy watching my daughter play, but I don't need to go to Florida to do that.

Even worse is the rumor that the Dumbo "interactive queue" is actually just a play area for kids while the adults sit on the bleachers (this can actually be seen in the concept art)

trr1

Even worse is the rumor that the Dumbo "interactive queue" is actually just a play area for kids while the adults sit on the bleachers (this can actually be seen in the concept art)
but who said that as an adult you Have to sit on the bleachers
you can play the games also

IlikeDW

I seriously doubt it. Honestly. I mean maybe one or two people, but an extra C or D to go along with Mermaid would be perfect.

hoping for a nice D ticket in Phase 2, there is way too much room back there for just a character experience and a playground. I just hope it starts as soon as phase 1 is over and not years later.

The Conundrum

hoping for a nice D ticket in Phase 2, there is way too much room back there for just a character experience and a playground. I just hope it starts as soon as phase 1 is over and not years later.

Well the concept art shows the tinker bell ride building but I think it's a mistake to build a dark ride based around a direct to video series that Disney will most likely abandone in a few years.

Why can't they dig into there concept art archives and finally build a mary poppins/headless horsemen/ or sleeping beauty ride? Why not create an ORIGINAL attraction (like the rumored shadowlands/bald mountain? How about that fantasia dark ride that was proposed for DAK? How about a ride for Rapunzel or Frog Princess? or a clone of a Disneyland classic??

But again Princess meet & greets = increased sales and Pixie Hollow = marketing promotion for disney's direct to video series. It's BS that the marketers and MBA's STILL have such a stranglehold on the company. Let the imagineers come up with ideas on there own and then see what should be greenlit based on available funds and needs like the old days!

_Scar

Well the concept art shows the tinker bell ride building but I think it's a mistake to build a dark ride based around a direct to video series that Disney will most likely abandone in a few years.

Why can't they dig into there concept art archives and finally build a mary poppins/headless horsemen/ or sleeping beauty ride? Why not create an ORIGINAL attraction (like the rumored shadowlands/bald mountain? How about that fantasia dark ride that was proposed for DAK? How about a ride for Rapunzel or Frog Princess? or a clone of a Disneyland classic??

But again Princess meet & greets = increased sales and Pixie Hollow = marketing promotion for disney's direct to video series. It's BS that the marketers and MBA's STILL have such a stranglehold on the company. Let the imagineers come up with ideas on there own and then see what should be greenlit based on available funds and needs like the old days!

5 more years of Tinkerbell releases. :zipit: I honestly hope they take another Disney classic like Pinocchio or Hercules and give them a little land and a ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom