Fantasyland Expansion Rumor

kingslyZISSOU

MK just needs a new, huge, 5 million dollar, E-ticket, thrilling, attraction! IMAGINEERS HELP THE ORIGINAL PARK!!!

Warning: No Stich, Pixar, Re-Imagineering, this could give a down wards population of the Disney Nuts!

yeah, thats the problem. Dark rides cost a ridiculous amount of money to build, and maintain.

5 million is probably about how much it would cost to make something like snow whites scary adventure.

The refurb for HM not so long ago had a budget of 30 million.

Spiderman at IOA (I read somewhere) costs around 175 to 200 million.

And why would they spend so much money on a ride for a place that gets millions of visitors already? It's the most visited theme park ever. So if they built a new giant ride now, they wouldn't really make any profit off of it. People will visit reguardless.

They could spend the same amount on making a film, and make a giant return in comparison.

So I don't think they're going to be making a GIANT E ticket in the kingdom for a while, apart from the potential space mt upgrade.

I think little c, and d tickets are more likely. They get people to come back, but at little expense to themselves. Like Monsters Inc for example, everyone rushes out to see it, but it's really kinda cheap. Therefore Profit.

yes it would be awesome to get some new classics, but I think it's going to be a while. unfortunately.

drew_dawg

Ok, maybe 5 million is way cheap but the Imagineers need to relize that they need something to add to MK!! They gave AK: EE, DHS: TSM, Epcot:Nemo, but no real new thing for MK

RSoxNo1

It seems that the Little Mermaid is destained for that "little patch" as for the other rumors (Snow White Coaster), they seem more blue sky. Either way we're probably looking 5 years down the road, right Marni?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The little fish thing? Sooner than you may think all being well. The rest? Blue sky and long term suggestions.

Horizonsfan

The little fish thing? Sooner than you may think all being well. The rest? Blue sky and long term suggestions.

I'm so happy and disappointed all at once. I really didn't care about any of the other new rides besides TLM but, I was sincerely hoping WDW's FL might get a major facade refurb. To think WDW could of had DL's Snow White and Peter Pan facades in addition to enhanced facades for Philharmagic and Pooh. :cry:

Mimi

I'm so happy and disappointed all at once. I really didn't care about any of the other new rides besides TLM but, I was sincerely hoping WDW's FL might get a major facade refurb. To think WDW could of had DL's Snow White and Peter Pan facades in addition to enhanced facades for Philharmagic and Pooh. :cry:

Yeah.. What's up the facades in WDW's Fantasyland anyway? I've never been to any other park but, judging from the pictures and videos I have seen, the other parks seem to have invested a lot more in the outside details/appearance of their fantasyland attractions. (Think Toad)

Don't get me wrong, I love the swiss village, but doesn't it seem like a lot of the area is just... awning? There must be a reason for this. The rest of the park is impecable; the attention to detail... incredible; but fantasyland???

Am I alone on this?

kingslyZISSOU

You know that bit of grass behind Poohs Playfull spot?? :D

yeah, I guessed. I think it's going to be a clone. It might be cool if we got that massive indoor mermaid thing disneysea has, or that omni thats set to hit cali. I would really be into Mt promethiums though.

PS, I really want to work for WDI

Animaniac93-98

Yeah.. What's up the facades in WDW's Fantasyland anyway? I've never been to any other park but, judging from the pictures and videos I have seen, the other parks seem to have invested a lot more in the outside details/appearance of their fantasyland attractions. (Think Toad)

Don't get me wrong, I love the swiss village, but doesn't it seem like a lot of the area is just... awning? There must be a reason for this. The rest of the park is impecable; the attention to detail... incredible; but fantasyland???

Am I alone on this?

WDWs Fantasyland was a vast improvement over the original Disneyland design (which had plenty of awnings of it's own). The only major differences were a lack of Mattahorn (couldn't be built so close to the castle) and Small World facade (too much rain would ruin it, and even this was built later). WDWs Fantasyland had wider walkways, longer and more complex versions of Peter Pan, Snow White and Mr. Toad and not to mention 20K and the Mickey Mouse Revue.

The other Fantasylands were built after this, including Tokyo which had more awnings mixed with the 1983 DL Fantasyland work, so naturally there would be improvements. MK has always been a popular park, so there was never a desire to spend all that money on just re-theming an already popular section of the park.

I guess I'm alone in liking the original look of Mks Fantasyland (with Skyway, 20K) and thinking Tokyo has the best overall (a mix of everything including MKs Haunted Mansion).

Horizonsfan

WDWs Fantasyland was a vast improvement over the original Disneyland design (which had plenty of awnings of it's own). The only major differences were a lack of Mattahorn (couldn't be built so close to the castle) and Small World facade (too much rain would ruin it, and even this was built later). WDWs Fantasyland had wider walkways, longer and more complex versions of Peter Pan, Snow White and Mr. Toad and not to mention 20K and the Mickey Mouse Revue.

Yes, at the time MK opened FL's design was fine but, over the years they could of (still can) improved it. They improved Dumbo and the interior of Snow White. Why not the exteriors of all the attractions.

Plus, I have trouble believing that IASW couldn't have an outdoor DL-style facade. I would guess that since IASW show building would fit inside the park at MK, WDI figured that the IASW facade wasn't integral to the ride (just like how they didn't think WDW would need POTC) and was an easy way to save a few bucks on what was an incredible budget at that time.

The other Fantasylands were built after this, including Tokyo which had more awnings mixed with the 1983 DL Fantasyland work, so naturally there would be improvements. MK has always been a popular park, so there was never a desire to spend all that money on just re-theming an already popular section of the park.

Other than being tight budgeted, there's no reason why WDW couldn't of redone SWSA's facade in '94 and Philharmagic's facade in 2003. Plus, PPF got a sign enhancement in '97.

I guess I'm alone in liking the original look of Mks Fantasyland (with Skyway, 20K) and thinking Tokyo has the best overall (a mix of everything including MKs Haunted Mansion).

You're probably not alone but in the minority. Overall, I think most would say it's between DL & DLP. Tokyo's is definitely better than MK's (IMO) but, still it would be hard to argue that aesthetically it is the best.

Animaniac93-98

You're probably not alone but in the minority. Overall, I think most would say it's between DL & DLP. Tokyo's is definitely better than MK's (IMO) but, still it would be hard to argue that aesthetically it is the best.

There's no denying DLP has the best looking Fantasyland, but my personal favorite is Tokyo, only problem is that the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour doesn't exist anymore.

As for redesigning facades, Disney of course could have, but they've shown that they just don't really want to up until now. I'd would however, welcome a redesign, especially if they made The Little Mermaid facade blend in with Ariel's grotto, incorporate elements of Eric's castle, some of TDS's Mermaid Lagoon and some kinetic water work, it could look really nice.

princess17

I really really love fantasyland the way it is, but I also like the idea of the little mermaid ride. I wonder if it will look how it did in the DVD special features? That was cool....and a Beauty and the beast ride would be great too, but like some of you are wondering, where would these go?

The haunted mansion is in Liberty square, not fantasyland so if they were building something over in that direction, wouldn't it be in liberty square? The speculation is that they will be expanding fantasyland and these rides wouldn't fit in over in that area anyway.

RSoxNo1

I think the mentioning of Haunted Mansion has more to do with the size of the show building, and the fact that it expands past the old skyway station. If they were to build something in that area, they would still have to hide the Haunted Mansion (and to a lesser extent "it's a small world") show building.

With that said, it seems that the Little Mermaid Attraction is happening. I'd be interested to see how that will blend in with the European theming of the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland, as well as DCA's San Francisco pier.

Mimi

With that said, it seems that the Little Mermaid Attraction is happening. I'd be interested to see how that will blend in with the European theming of the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland, as well as DCA's San Francisco pier.

I believe the story takes place in Europe... and the ocean of course.

Animaniac93-98

I believe the story takes place in Europe... and the ocean of course.

Yes, but for DCA it will be themed as a Victorian aquarium/exhibit to blend in with the other Old Time looking buildings of that section of the park. Concept art for it is somewhere on this internet I think.

nemofinder22

Yes, but for DCA it will be themed as a Victorian aquarium/exhibit to blend in with the other Old Time looking buildings of that section of the park. Concept art for it is somewhere on this internet I think.

It sure is, here ya go :)
user126_pic409_1211446847.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom