Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

wserratore1963

Most, if not all, of the people that find a problem with the expansion is that it does not have enough to hold the interest of the over 10 crowd. Not that it has no thrill rides. I think it's a very valid point.
Thanks for the clarification. I do understand the concern; however I think most of FL has always been for the under 10 crowd. Outside of the few classic attractions and Philharmagic what is there now for the over 10 crowd?

The way I see the new FL is that it will keep the under 10 busy for an entire day; making multiple days in MK a must. It also allows mom & dad a chance to chill and let the kids run around etc with knights, fairies, story telling & playgrounds.

I think it will be visually appealing and a nice edition. I was just there last month and the place needs a facelift.

I look forward to it.

SirGoofy

Thanks for the clarification. I do understand the concern; however I think most of FL has always been for the under 10 crowd. Outside of the few classic attractions and Philharmagic what is there now for the over 10 crowd?

Eh...yes and no. While the rides that are there now aren't necessarily not aimed at the under 10 kids, they are easily enjoyed by everyone.

The way I see the new FL is that it will keep the under 10 busy for an entire day; making multiple days in MK a must. It also allows mom & dad a chance to chill and let the kids run around etc with knights, fairies, story telling & playgrounds.

But see, that's not what Disney is supposed to be.

As Walt said, "Your dead if you aim only for kids."

I think it will be visually appealing and a nice edition. I was just there last month and the place needs a facelift.

I look forward to it.

I agree it will look great. And I'm also looking forward to it, even if I have problems with it.

wserratore1963

I think this is exactly what Disney is trying to solve.

The current meet 'n greets are a dead end. Little children waiting in a boring queue for an hour to spend ten seconds with their favourite character. So daddy gets to take his snapshot.

The new 'attractions' are not a poor man's rides, but 'NextGen' meet 'n greets. Instead of a line, kids get to amuse themselves with colouring books or learning a play. Then they have some quality time with a character. The parents get to take their photographs.

The new princess meet/greets solve the same problems, in the same manner, as the new dumbos do: that of the smallest guests standing in the longest lines for the shortest experiences.

Presuming that only 'action' pictures are allowed, and no individual posing for pictures, Disney could solve a major problem in the park experience for younger kids.

Seen in this light, I think the 'princess meet/greet + dueling dumbo' expansion shows a Disney heart, shows attention to customer worries, more than that it is exemplary of Disney failing to deliver good rides.

It also shows that, apart from TLM and some excellent theming, the expansion is not really massively interesting for those above the age of six.
:shrug:

agreed

wserratore1963

I edited the picture to be an infinite loop if you don't mind:

1z733mg.gif

1z733mg.gif
look great

wserratore1963

:sohappy::D:sohappy:
i grew up in orlando and i've been to the mk 30 or 40+ times dating back to the first october they were open...yes i was a child and i'm not telling my age (much). we still tend to call the mk "disney" and i remember having to have those stupid little booklets and only getting to ride your favorite rides once...we still loved the park. i remember epcot as the most boring place on earth when the big ball was the only ride and with it's changes we now, of course, love the park. i remember the first year extra magic hours started [before it was all over the website] and no one was in the park...best time there EVER...and it all changes with time. all of it is more crowded now and we have multiple parks instead of just the mk...and we've all learned to love the changes they've put in over time. but all in all i think it just comes down to the fact that the popularity of the mk has out grown it's size and it's time to add on...we all moan and grumble but always adjust and we end up falling in love with [most of] what they do and long for a little pixie dust when we've been away to long. my advice is to take lots of pictures now so you can drive your grandkids crazy about how it used to be...just a thought because it's a long way from concept to open for business.

wserratore1963

Eh...yes and no. While the rides that are there now aren't necessarily not aimed at the under 10 kids, they are easily enjoyed by everyone.

But see, that's not what Disney is supposed to be.

As Walt said, "Your dead if you aim only for kids."

I agree it will look great. And I'm also looking forward to it, even if I have problems with it.
I appreciate your insight.

I am just a fan; albeit one that has grown up in the Park. I first Visited in Feb 72' when I was 8 and have been attending over & over many, many times. My children are now 12 & 10 they have gone every year of their lives. We enjoy it together; I reminese about old day etc - they tell me I'm crazy and now is so much better etc.

I showed my boys all the plans, videos & pics - they think it's "sick" and can't wait to go so it when it's done.

I maybe in the minority here - but I think this will give the place a big boost and get people who are not as enthusiastic as I am back to the park. Which as a large shareholder and DVC Owner would be great to see again. Sure it's great to zip through the park on a quite day; but too many quite days will lead to permanent quite days.

I love this site; it's great to see all the opinions expressed, debated etc. We all love the company or some aspect of it and that's what's keeps us all comming back.

Thanks again for insight; I do appreciate it

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I maybe in the minority here - but I think this will give the place a big boost and get people who are not as enthusiastic as I am back to the park. Which as a large shareholder and DVC Owner would be great to see again. Sure it's great to zip through the park on a quite day; but too many quite days will lead to permanent quite days.

I love this site; it's great to see all the opinions expressed, debated etc. We all love the company or some aspect of it and that's what's keeps us all comming back.

I don't think you are in the minority at all. We've been running a poll on this at http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=489198, and the majority are very positive.

We have some very negative members here, who also happen to be the most vocal. So don't take the fact that a few members constantly complain about every move that Disney make as a sign of what the majority think.

SirGoofy

I appreciate your insight.

I am just a fan; albeit one that has grown up in the Park. I first Visited in Feb 72' when I was 8 and have been attending over & over many, many times. My children are now 12 & 10 they have gone every year of their lives. We enjoy it together; I reminese about old day etc - they tell me I'm crazy and now is so much better etc.

I showed my boys all the plans, videos & pics - they think it's "sick" and can't wait to go so it when it's done.

Yup, grew up with these parks in my life since I was 2 years old, and now I work for them!

The expansion is definitely needed, no doubt about it. MK has been bursting at the seams for the past few years, and hopefully this will alleviate that problem.

I appreciate your insight as well. It's nice to be able to talk about the pros and cons with someone with out the name calling that has been happening around here lately.:wave:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It's nice to be able to talk about the pros and cons with someone with out the name calling that has been happening around here lately.:wave:

I couldn't agree more. Too much fighting lately. Its nice to have a discussion about pros and cons of the expansion without people resorting to personal insults.

RSoxNo1

If Eric Jacobson is telling the truth then Peter Pan and It's a small world will be closed down for a time. Also Winnie The Pooh and Mad Tea Party will have to go down at some point as well.

I really don't see Pan and iasw going down anytime soon, especially if Jungle goes down.

On youtube find the Parks & Resorts Press Conferance video where they are all sitting in a room taking questions from the media. One of the questions was about if the old Fantasyland rides would recieve updates and changes and Eric Jacobson answers saying "yes as a matter of fact Peter Pan and I believe It's a small world will be going down this year for upgrades"

What time estimate have you heard for Jungle going down? Immediatly after Space or next year sometime?

My hunch tells me that Petey and IASW will close sometime in November and probably reopen Jan/Feb time frame and Jungle will go down in March and reopen in the summer.

I think it's reasonable to expect refurbishments to the other Fantasyland attractions in the next few years, but I don't think they would be forced to close as a result of the expansion. The construction will be away from the existing fantasyland attractions - any closures of Fantasyland attractions not part of the expansion will be for additional updates (RFID, facade work, etc).

IlikeDW

You know what would have been terrific?

Instead of Pixie Hollow being the meet and greet and the humongous play area, why not have made it Neverland/Peter and the Lost Boy's home? THAT would have been spectacular.

Yes an all new peter/tink dark ride in Neverland (which could have a smaller pixie hollow and then re-theme peter pans flight to a pinnochio or mary poppins or petes dragon or ..... ride.

Lucky

How long have you been working there? Do you always remember the strollers being as much a nightmare. Maybe I was not paying attention, but I swear the sheer number of them is more and more each year. What did people do before? It is amazing. I always feel bad for the cast members who need to arrange them constantly.
Yeah, America is getting softer. Babies used to walk around under their own power, carrying their diapers, bottles etc. in backpacks, but now we push them around in strollers.

HMF

If Eric Jacobson is telling the truth then Peter Pan and It's a small world will be closed down for a time.
You would trust someone who said "We are not going to "change" Pirates of the Caribbean" and then does it anyway. Anyone else thinking what I am thinking about IASW'? Welcome' product placement.

Exprcoofto

Add a drop to IASW. Yes, there, I said it.

My redo idea of IASW included a drop. Mostly because I thought it would be cool to bring the loading up top, then go down to the actual show.

I'm going to be interested in what Eric Jacobson meant by upgrades to PPF and IASW.

panther726

My redo idea of IASW included a drop. Mostly because I thought it would be cool to bring the loading up top, then go down to the actual show.

I'm going to be interested in what Eric Jacobson meant by upgrades to PPF and IASW.

An upgrade to IASW? They are finally going to tear it down!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom