Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

DisneyMusician2

More rides!!!! Sick of meet and greets I understand Disneys reason to build them.Cheap to build and run.

I hear ya, but you can't bulldoze Toontown and not put back in meet and greet areas. No ride brings a light to my son's eyes like seeing Mickey.

It is the look of FL that is the real improvement here. For me, that's the thing to keep in mind.

sbkline

This is my first time looking in this thread, so I'm not about to read through over 50 pages to see if the following question has already been addressed, but do I understand correctly that all of these new additions are going in the big empty spot where 20K used to be? And the only thing in the original FantasyLand that will be disappearing is the current Dumbo ride since it is being replaced with the new version, is that correct? And is there going to be a train station in the new FantasyLand as well?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is my first time looking in this thread, so I'm not about to read through over 50 pages to see if the following question has already been addressed, but do I understand correctly that all of these new additions are going in the big empty spot where 20K used to be? And the only thing in the original FantasyLand that will be disappearing is the current Dumbo ride since it is being replaced with the new version, is that correct? And is there going to be a train station in the new FantasyLand as well?

Check out http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Fantasyland.htm for the FAQ. :)

Atomicmickey

When I look at the New Fantasyland, I see Epcot's World Showcase. In a different world.

WS is not about rides, though there are some experiences (AA, the films, Maelstrom).
It's about a place to be. To eat, to enjoy. I see the new FL as
being just like that. All I know is that, princess meet-n-greets aren't my thing,
but I do want to walk through that world.

I also get the impression that the meet-n-greets are "something more"--more
along the lines of a theatrical/participatory experience, with effects, etc. In other
words, family attractions that will be immersive and enjoyable for all. That's just my impression
though, maybe they are just lineups for a pic with a princess. They look like more than that, to me.
Something "next-generation" in terms of a park experience does not have to involve a KUKA arm.

These reasons are why I'm excited about Fantasyland, even though I don't
give a rip about Princesses.

Walter Yensid

More rides!!!! Sick of meet and greets I understand Disneys reason to build them.Cheap to build and run.

I think it has been said enough on here, but I will reiterate, these are not your run-of-the-mill meet-and-greets. These are unique experiences that allow children to interact with their favorite characters in a very personal and special way. It is one thing to wait in line, get a photo, and walk away. Just imagine how much more lasting and memorable it is for a child if you get to hand a birthday card to Aurora that you created or get to act in a play with Belle or dance with Cinderella. Quite honestly, this personal time with the characters is really only something the kids get at a Character Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner and that is extremely brief. I think this new concept of 'personal character experiences' is a such a great step. Plain meet-and-greets would be disappointing, but these are surely not. Watch the video again and I think it is clear.

On top of it, if Disney keeps this original design and concept, I will be just happy with the theming, extra space, a new E-ticket, and the best FL in the world. Walt was all about telling a story with his parks...this is the best example of it that we have seen. The whole idea of walking out of the castle into the castle courtyard and then walking outside the castle walls into an enchanted forest where all the characters live is truly Disney story-telling. I know my daughter is going to love it, but so will my wife, myself, and all parents.

Plus, I do think Pixie Hollow might end up giving us more than just the tree. They were pretty vague about that part of the expansion (considering it opens later). I think they are still working on that part and with that much land over there, who knows...

DisneyMusician2

I think it has been said enough on here, but I will reiterate, these are not your run-of-the-mill meet-and-greets. These are unique experiences that allow children to interact with their favorite characters in a very personal and special way. It is one thing to wait in line, get a photo, and walk away. Just imagine how much more lasting and memorable it is for a child if you get to hand a birthday card to Aurora that you created or get to act in a play with Belle or dance with Cinderella. Quite honestly, this personal time with the characters is really only something the kids get at a Character Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner and that is extremely brief. I think this new concept of 'personal character experiences' is a such a great step. Plain meet-and-greets would be disappointing, but these are surely not. Watch the video again and I think it is clear.

On top of it, if Disney keeps this original design and concept, I will be just happy with the theming, extra space, a new E-ticket, and the best FL in the world. Walt was all about telling a story with his parks...this is the best example of it that we have seen. The whole idea of walking out of the castle into the castle courtyard and then walking outside the castle walls into an enchanted forest where all the characters live is truly Disney story-telling. I know my daughter is going to love it, but so will my wife, myself, and all parents.

Plus, I do think Pixie Hollow might end up giving us more than just the tree. They were pretty vague about that part of the expansion (considering it opens later). I think they are still working on that part and with that much land over there, who knows...

Meet-and-greets are much more personal and entertaining in DL for some reason, and I am hoping that these new meet and greets are along those lines, where the characters are seemingly wandering everywhere and you have but to walk up and interact with them.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I think these personal character interactions reek of upsell oppertunity. As Jt said days ago, perhaps when Im a grandfather Ill appreciate how wonderful all this really is and be happy to visit someone dressed up as a fictional character to have my photo taken, but in the minimum of 5 - 6 years till then Ill make do with Star Tours.

The Conundrum

Adding a brand-new e-ticket with a complete expansion and exterior re-theming of the land isn't enough?

More TS in Mk, which desperately needed one is bad?

Meet and greets for kids in FL that don't look like crud like Toontown Fair does are a bad idea?

I just don't see it. At some point, you've just got to be happy that this much effort is going into a highly detailed area of the park that truly needed it.

And a second Dumbo is a big deal to parents like me with small children:)

When they redid Disneyland's Fantasyland in 1982 not only did they add new facades and better theming throughout the land and moved around the attractions but they added a new dark ride Pinnochio and went back and redid and expanded EVERY dark ride in the land. Disneyland's Fantasyland is backed to the brim with rides yet WDW's has room for twice as many yet they have less than half of what DL has.

Don't get me wrong Little Mermaid looks great (will write more about it in my report) and im thrilled with Dumbo but to waste all that land on meet and greets aimed at little girls just seems like a waste.

Why didn't they add the Alice in Wonderland dark ride, why not Casey Jr. Circus train, how abotu Storybook land or a new Mr.toad?

I feel they have really squandard the opprotunity they had. BTW none of the existing theming will be changed except for toon town. So its not going to be like Tomorrowland'94 where they changed the facads and theming through the whole land. They are not updating the effects in the existing attractions nor making the rides any longer.

Aside from Mermaid, Dumbo, and the B&B restaurant the entire expansion, a HUGE plot of land, is dedicated to meet and greets for princesses and pixies. Essentially this project is a wash since we are not really gaining anything from it.

DisneyMusician2

When they redid Disneyland's Fantasyland in 1982 not only did they add new facades and better theming throughout the land and moved around the attractions but they added a new dark ride Pinnochio and went back and redid and expanded EVERY dark ride in the land. Disneyland's Fantasyland is backed to the brim with rides yet WDW's has room for twice as many yet they have less than half of what DL has.

Don't get me wrong Little Mermaid looks great (will write more about it in my report) and im thrilled with Dumbo but to waste all that land on meet and greets aimed at little girls just seems like a waste.

Why didn't they add the Alice in Wonderland dark ride, why not Casey Jr. Circus train, how abotu Storybook land or a new Mr.toad?

I feel they have really squandard the opprotunity they had. BTW none of the existing theming will be changed except for toon town. So its not going to be like Tomorrowland'94 where they changed the facads and theming through the whole land. They are not updating the effects in the existing attractions nor making the rides any longer.

Aside from Mermaid, Dumbo, and the B&B restaurant the entire expansion, a HUGE plot of land, is dedicated to meet and greets for princesses and pixies.

I'll admit the Alice ride would be an incredible addition. I loved Mr. Toad, but putting him back at this point would just be looking backward. If you were going to go through that much effort, put something brand new in.

My point is that you still need the meet-and-greets for kids, and I understand that. I just hope that they are different and unique, something even adults could get excited about seeing in the parks.

I suppose only time will tell to see how this is executed.

But I think this is a step in the right direction, and I welcome it.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Just got done plowing through 55 pages of posts about this new FL. I am just as torn about it as I was when the announcement came down. The concept art is just stunning. If it looks anything like that, then I am on board regardless of the fact that it does seem geared toward little girls. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have a little girl.

On the positive side, this is all additions. We are not losing anything of significance. The landscaping and theming look awesome, the TLM looks really cool, and who wouldn't be excited to dine in the be our guest dining room? The idea of the area decorated in an old world style for christmas is also very exciting. One overlooked positive is the re-theming of Winnie the Pooh. I think having the hundred acre leading into that ride is going to be so cool. Winnie the Pooh is not just for girls btw, every little kid loves it, plus most adults have great memories attached to him.

Now the downside, 1 ride. There is a ton of money being poured into this expansion, and it seems as though other parks will now have to wait years and years for anything major. I just don't think this should have been #1 priority. Animal Kingdom needs Beastly/mysterious island more then this. And DHS backlot is an absolute joke, that should be completely redone into a new themed area. I am glad we are finally getting star tours 2, that should help that park, and I suppose its something.

I guess my conclusion is, I love the new area, it is gorgeous. I think TLM, Be our Guest, and the new Dumbo area are all very good additions. But this would not have been my first choice for a major expansion.

TheBeatles

Disneyland's Fantasyland is backed to the brim with rides yet WDW's has room for twice as many yet they have less than half of what DL has.

Sad, but true.

Some people are saying they can't wait to see how immersive these new environments are, but I don't think the reward will be worth it. Imagine if the Haunted Mansion facade was built with no ride, but it had a chance to get your picture with the hitchhiking ghosts.

Erika

I have a brief something to say to the people who say that the new FL is bias to girls.

When I was, like, 5, I went to Storytime with Belle with my Mom. I LOVED the movies, and BatB was one of my favorites. Well, I was chosen by BELLE to play... Gaston. Well, he was pretty nasty, and I wasn't sure I liked how much Belle liked me then. I did my part, and then (because I felt bad about being Gaston) I gave her a hug. She was very sweet and very nice. I wanted to say something else to her, but I was nervous, but she said that she was going to do a Meet n Greet session right after she said "hi" to Beast (well, now the prince). So after she came back out I waited on the long line to meet her. And then I got real nervous... what would I say? I finally squeaked out "You're my favorite princess." and she was absolutely struck with my cuteness. She said something like "Well, you're my favorite prince" or something and then she kissed me on the cheek. I was ecstatic! Belle liked me after all, and I had the lipstick mark on my cheek all day to prove it!

But that's not all... when we went to dinner with Cinderella in her castle. I was SO embarrassed when I realized I still had a lip-mark on my cheek from Belle! So I sat on her lap and she asked me: "Who kissed you?" I had to say: "Belle." She said, "You know her? She's one of my best friends." I said: "Sorry, Belle's my favorite..." but then quickly followed up with "But I like you too! You're very pretty, and so is your castle!" Struck with my cuteness, Cindy said: "Thank you! Honesty is a very important quality in a prince. Remember to keep being good!" Then she kissed me on the other cheek. AHHHH!!!!! A DREAM COME TRUE!!!! I wouldn't tell my mom what she said, but soon enough she saw the other kiss mark. The kisses stayed on my cheeks for about 3 days after the meetings, and they always stayed with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's an extremely sweet story, and might I add, I daresay my husband enjoys meeting the princesses every bit as much as my daughter does. :lookaroun :lol:

I am still making my way through the thread, but this expansion is great news. And it gives my family plenty of time to save up for a trip :drevil:

Walter Yensid

Just got done plowing through 55 pages of posts about this new FL. I am just as torn about it as I was when the announcement came down. The concept art is just stunning. If it looks anything like that, then I am on board regardless of the fact that it does seem geared toward little girls. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have a little girl.

On the positive side, this is all additions. We are not losing anything of significance. The landscaping and theming look awesome, the TLM looks really cool, and who wouldn't be excited to dine in the be our guest dining room? The idea of the area decorated in an old world style for christmas is also very exciting. One overlooked positive is the re-theming of Winnie the Pooh. I think having the hundred acre leading into that ride is going to be so cool. Winnie the Pooh is not just for girls btw, every little kid loves it, plus most adults have great memories attached to him.

Now the downside, 1 ride. There is a ton of money being poured into this expansion, and it seems as though other parks will now have to wait years and years for anything major. I just don't think this should have been #1 priority. Animal Kingdom needs Beastly/mysterious island more then this. And DHS backlot is an absolute joke, that should be completely redone into a new themed area. I am glad we are finally getting star tours 2, that should help that park, and I suppose its something.

I guess my conclusion is, I love the new area, it is gorgeous. I think TLM, Be our Guest, and the new Dumbo area are all very good additions. But this would not have been my first choice for a major expansion.

I agree that this will definitely affect any major investments into the other parks...I would assume anyway. Disney has a pretty clean Balance Sheet, but with Pixar purchase, Marvel, this, Star Tours, and DCA, that is a lot in five plus years. However, I do feel we will get a new Soarin' when it is complete and all the other parks get it. I mean, it is not much of a cost other than the film.

But, depending on how successful it becomes, I wonder if Carsland will end up in DHS one day...many, many days from today. But, I have no doubts that they expect Pixar's section of DHS to be much more than just one street. I have a feeling it will take over the Backlot Tour and wouldn't that just be the perfect location for Carsland. Plenty of land, connected to Pixar Place, and hey, it even has the start of the mountains with Catastrophe.

Anyway, I would imagine this will put a delay in other park investments. But, we all know that we will always want more and other parks need the love, but I do feel this FL expansion was most needed. MK had not received anything for a long time and that FL was certainly the most needy and least impressive (at least from a theming standpoint).

SirGoofy

But, depending on how successful it becomes, I wonder if Carsland will end up in DHS one day...many, many days from today. But, I have no doubts that they expect Pixar's section of DHS to be much more than just one street. I have a feeling it will take over the Backlot Tour and wouldn't that just be the perfect location for Carsland. Plenty of land, connected to Pixar Place, and hey, it even has the start of the mountains with Catastrophe.

If Carsland comes, apparently it will be without Radiator Springs Racers, which makes it a waste to bring it here.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If Carsland comes, apparently it will be without Radiator Springs Racers, which makes it a waste to bring it here.

I don't believe thats the case. That whole plot of land has been looked at specifically for the Racers from what I've been told.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom