Family's Safe Robbed At Disney Resort

StevenT

You made some very valid points there. And by the way welcome to WDWMagic! :D. You are the first person to argue in their favor and I commend you for that. It just seems to me that there are too many discrepencies that just don't make sense. I guess you'd have to know more of the story. The article doesn't say wether Disney admitted to making the key or not. If a key was made, it could have been done by a cast member in on the job. A person working on the inside would be the most likley person to rob the hotel room. They just have to get a room key, and get a new safe key.

beattyfamily

Originally posted by StevenT
You made some very valid points there. And by the way welcome to WDWMagic! :D. You are the first person to argue in their favor and I commend you for that. It just seems to me that there are too many discrepencies that just don't make sense. I guess you'd have to know more of the story. The article doesn't say wether Disney admitted to making the key or not. If a key was made, it could have been done by a cast member in on the job. A person working on the inside would be the most likley person to rob the hotel room. They just have to get a room key, and get a new safe key.

Thanks for the welcome...I've been an on and off lurker here and I am a regular over at the DIS.

I just fixed my post and added 'safe' key. Disney did admit in the story I read that they made a safe key for someone in that room, but it was not the person who checked in.

Anand says desk clerks at the Wilderness Lodge told her someone called from the room claiming to have lost their safe key.

"So, they actually sent an engineer up who made a second key for this person," she explains.

Anand says she could not believe this, since she was so thoroughly screened when she checked into the resort.

"It was such a procedure for me to get checked into my room. How come it was so easy for somebody to get a key to the safe without ID?" she wonders.

civileng68

Account Suspended
good points

You definately make some good points, and welcome as well.

I agree that if Disney employees did make another key then that is just horrible.

However, let's go to something even more disturbing than that, how did someone get in the room?

Travelers cheques are worldwide. They are supplied mostly by american companies, even overseas. American Express has about 90% of the worldwide traver's cheque business. Chances are the traveler's cheques were supplied by an American company which she could probably replace here easier than in her own country.

It just seems to me that for someone to get in that room there had to be family members involved in this, which is another reason why the Disney employee may not have thought anything of providing another key being that the proper people may have been the one's asking.

I dont know and we would need to know more, but I agree that Disney made a mistake, but, there's much more to the story and probably a good excuse for the employee that doesn't make it right but makes it to where maybe we can see why he screwed up so easily.

StevenT

Well that entire quote is filtered through what Miss Anand said. It says nothing of what Disney said about the incident.

beattyfamily

Originally posted by StevenT
Well that entire quote is filtered through what Miss Anand said. It says nothing of what Disney said about the incident.

Yes, that's true but I'm sure it can be easily verified by the people working the front desk at WL and the engineer that made the 2nd key.

iluvstitch

Even if the Indian lady didn't know the serial numbers that were stolen, they can easily call the company who made them. They can tell which serial numbers have been spent.

Another key aspect of travelers checks is that you sign the top and then when they are spent, you have to sign the bottom and the store clerk compares the two signatures and sometimes asks for ID. That's what makes them secure. Technically, whoever stole them, shouldn't be able to use them.

I sell traveler's cheques at work and we have had A LOT of fraud going on with them in the last few months. -Steph

civileng68

Account Suspended

BOOK HER!:lol:

just kidding. I seriously hope that if she's not up to anything that Disney helps her out somehow if they were at fault in any way.

Something's rotten here and it ain't Eisner's mellon.

civileng68

Account Suspended
Originally posted by will_hsv
In the same line of bad news reports from the World.

Has anyone heard anything recently on the Tigger investigation?

Not other than the fact that he likes BOOBIES! :lol:

I think it will die unless this woman's willing put put out mad cash for a lawyer or several lawyers to drag it out. Disney will purposely threaten to make it a big suit, and if she lost, she'd be poor. I think she'll drop it. I doubt Disney will settle.

josh_e_washie

Yes I definately don't like the sound of this story...the first thing I thought of was the rape set-up at Carribean Beach Resort a while back. It seems just perfect: the stalker was at CBR, one of the largest resorts at WDW with woods and walkways, etc., and a robbery of A LOT of money was done at one of the most expensive resorts on WDW property. It seems like it is too good to be true. Now if this took place at like a moderate or even value resort, I might believe it a bit more....but something smells fishy here!!!!!!!!:) :confused:

Laura

Premium Member
Glad I'm not the only one who didn't think that sounded quite right.

Plus, even if the story is true, I don't feel the least bit sorry for anyone who owns a $3K LV handbag!

Disney2002

Originally posted by Laura22

Plus, even if the story is true, I don't feel the least bit sorry for anyone who owns a $3K LV handbag!

Regarding the bag, I looked online and there is only one that actually makes the $3k mark. That being said, who would bring such a thing to WDW. NO PLACE at Disney is that upscale.

Glasgow

I must say that after reading this thread I'm a little disappointed that almost everyone has already convicted this person based on info that came out in a preliminary article.

It's terrible if they are indeed lying, but it would be even worse if this is proven to be a true story. I can't imagine going half way around the world (no pun intended) and having all of my money stolen.

I do agree that there are some sketchy details here .. but the media always tries to make the most of every story as well ..

civileng68

Account Suspended
no no no

Originally posted by Glasgow
I must say that after reading this thread I'm a little disappointed that almost everyone has already convicted this person based on info that came out in a preliminary article.

It's terrible if they are indeed lying, but it would be even worse if this is proven to be a true story. I can't imagine going half way around the world (no pun intended) and having all of my money stolen.

I do agree that there are some sketchy details here .. but the media always tries to make the most of every story as well ..

We're not out right saying she's guilty. I think each person that has put their input has said it sounds sketchy, not just "she's guilty".

I think we're all saying that something's not adding up. Maybe the reporter wrote a bad story that made it sound fishy, or maybe not all details were given, but with the information given, there's ALOT that's not right about this one.

phlydude

I had lost my key last May while staying in the All-Star sports. I was swimming and had the key in my pocket and somewhere in one of the 2 pools I was in, I lost the key out of my pocket.

Once I realized the key was missing, I went diving around the pools looking for the key (it had a big basketball keychain attached, you couldn't miss it on the bottom of the pool) but had no luck. I asked a lifeguard and they told me that the if the key had been found, the front desk would have it.

When I inquired at the desk, the manager came out to assist me. She said a key had been turned in but it didn't have any identification to the room to keep it scure for the guests. So she walked me over with a radio in hand (I assume to call security and be in touch should anything seem fishy) to my room where I had to provide my own access to get in. At that point, she used the key in the lock and made me get my ID to show her that I was truely the person this room was assigned to. She then gave me the key and told me I was lucky because if it wasn't, they would have to DRILL OUT the lock and replace the whole key cylinder. No extra keys could be made.

If you ask me, based on my experience with a nearly lost key, I don't think that a CM provided access to the safe. If a key was made, someone definitely had some locksmith skills.

That of course raises a couple questions:
1 - did a CM tip off someone and let them into the room?
2 - did the guest get a duplicate key made (even though they shouldn't be copied but we all know how money can bend the rules) and set up someone with access to pull it off?

I can't wait to hear about follow-up on this story!!
:veryconfu

Estop54

Maybe Disney's different, but hotels seem to be the most unsecure places around. I was on tour with a Cirque du Soleil show for almost 2 years and stayed in lots of hotels and lost lots of keys. Only a small handfull of times was I asked for an ID to get another key. I've also had safes malfunction in the rooms and they come on up, open it, and just make small talk. No question on who I was. :lookaroun

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Laura22

So it would be OK for someone to steal my things? :(

Seriously, would you feel sorry if she owned a $300 bag, or only if it were a $30 bag?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom