Extreme Makeover: Connor's Undercover Report

TAC

I was talking to a friend of mine that knows the general contractor for the job. The GC said he would NEVER do another house in Philadelphia ever again. Why you ask? Well, in other parts of the country, it was easy to get the construction permits, and the municipal office realized that time was of the essence.

In Philadelphia, he had to "grease palms" to get anything done in a timely manner.

Uponastar

TAC said:
I was talking to a friend of mine that knows the general contractor for the job. The GC said he would NEVER do another house in Philadelphia ever again. Why you ask? Well, in other parts of the country, it was easy to get the construction permits, and the municipal office realized that time was of the essence.

In Philadelphia, he had to "grease palms" to get anything done in a timely manner.

The permit mess is a huge problem for anyone trying to do any work in the city.
However, just this past week, someone I know who needed a permit said that they have revised the system and it is now a much easier affair.
If this is indeed true, perhaps the revisions are a result of the EMHE business.
Don't know.

On a side note, I went by to see the finished house yesterday.
Pretty nice!
I was amazed at the amount of equipment and trailers still on the block.
Took a lot of organization to pull this off!

Uponastar

TiggerBW said:
Great Job Connor!

Thanks for sharing Rainfully! I wanted to see the finished product! I missed it on the news tonight. :( IT looks great! (but from what I gather, totally out of place! ha ha) oh well! :wave:

Not as out of place as I would have expected.
It is different, of course, from the rest of the block itself, but not shockingly so. And the area as a whole has various styles of homes. It's not a bad fit.

TAC

It is a shame what honest citizens have to (or had to?) go through in order to get a construction permit in the city. I don't know if it is the same in other cities, but from what the GC said, it is not.

Add to the city corruption that has been going on for umteen years, it's no wonder that a) people are moving out of the city b) conventions are not returning to the Convention Center.

Could you tell us where the house is?

Uponastar said:
The permit mess is a huge problem for anyone trying to do any work in the city.
However, just this past week, someone I know who needed a permit said that they have revised the system and it is now a much easier affair.
If this is indeed true, perhaps the revisions are a result of the EMHE business.
Don't know.

On a side note, I went by to see the finished house yesterday.
Pretty nice!
I was amazed at the amount of equipment and trailers still on the block.
Took a lot of organization to pull this off!

Uponastar

TAC said:
It is a shame what honest citizens have to (or had to?) go through in order to get a construction permit in the city. I don't know if it is the same in other cities, but from what the GC said, it is not.

Add to the city corruption that has been going on for umteen years, it's no wonder that a) people are moving out of the city b) conventions are not returning to the Convention Center.

Could you tell us where the house is?

The house is on Haldeman between President and Red Lion.
As of yesterday, you still couldn't drive down that block of Haldeman.
We parked on Red Lion and walked over.

TiggerBW

Uponastar said:
Not as out of place as I would have expected.
It is different, of course, from the rest of the block itself, but not shockingly so. And the area as a whole has various styles of homes. It's not a bad fit.

That's good! I heard wrong then! :) I can't wait to watch the episode!

TAC - interesting info!

Uponastar

TiggerBW said:
That's good! I heard wrong then! :) I can't wait to watch the episode!

TAC - interesting info!

The only thing I'd like to add is I think the house would fit in better on the block if they used a lighter colored siding. The darker color does cause it to stand out more than necessary. Especially since it's a dark siding with a bright white trim.

Connor002

Original Poster
TAC said:

Why am I not surprised...

Connor002

Original Poster
Just a few last photos from the night before the unveiling...

Some of the leftover materials and some odds and ends:

With the backside of the house in view...

A photo of the backside, taking just moments before my tripping due to not watching where I was going...

The mysterious tent of mystery, at night!

These two shots are as different as night and day!

:lookaroun

Darn you, fence, darn you!

Is that guy trying to moon me?

Hey look, it's... oh, wait, it's just some guy. Forget it. Nothing to see here, folks.

Connor002

Original Poster
And a few last things, "borrowed" from 6ABC.com: (regrettably, a bit small)
wpvi03222006extrememakeoverhouse200.jpg

(Taken from Chopper 6 before)

032406_nw_demo200.jpg

(Demolition)

extreme-makeover.jpg

(I think this was actually just a stock photo)

032806-pyfamilyhome-200.jpg

wpvi03282006extrememakeovernoon200.jpg

header_subpage.jpg

wpvi03232006extrememakoverbanner-a.gif

wpvi03222006extrememakeoverfamily200.jpg

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Connor002 said:

This man (with the mic in his face) looks drunk and confused. :lol: :lookaroun

I say we play the caption game with this pic.

I'll go first:

"That them there house sprouted up over night. Its the devils work, I tell you what!"

Safari Giraffe

DMC-12 said:
This man (with the mic in his face) looks drunk and confused. :lol: :lookaroun

I say we play the caption game with this pic.

I'll go first:

"That them there house sprouted up over night. Its the devils work, I tell you what!"

That is really funny and seems to fit just right.:lol:

Connor002

Original Poster
The Py family officially moved in Thursday, and after some last filming work, most of the equipment was removed. Streets are now open, and life is back to normal. The episode should are soon, given a about month for editing and production. I hope you enjoyed my little update, and thanks for listening.

Th-th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!

:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom