News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

WildcatDen

When you look back at Serpico's intel... did it seemed designed to advance or thwart the career of a particular exec?
There were some that were more critical in nature versus new attraction or ride tip related. I do not recall anyone being singled out but there were a good amount of "this will happen if management trusts the right people". Actual names were not given.

Rodan75

I'll bet the guest room of my house that Sony caves to Big Bob's Big Demands.

I hate to say this. I agree with Mike. Sony has more to lose here than Marvel. They will cave.

I was expecting a bigger tie up. With Sony agreeing to provide Spider-Man TV projects to Disney Plus in addition to the Holland movies. (Which for the record could still happen, negotiations appear stalled not definitively over)

pwnbeaver

That doesn't matter. How can they continue the character when his whole arc is centered around losing iron Man who was his father figure.

The fact that people can't imagine this Spider-Man without a connection to Iron Man is a failure of the filmmakers. Spider-Man in an A+++++ property that stood on his own while barely touching the Avengers for fifty years in the comics.

If Sony puts their heads together and gives talented filmmakers a chance to do their vision, this will be good for the character in the long run. Into the Spider-Verse is a fantastic film.

Filby61

And @photomatt has begun banning people on MC who disagree with his actions. After claiming MC doesn't ban people for having criticized the site or powers that be.

Upthread I posted that I thought Photomatt meant well, but his communication issues were "digging himself into a hole... and then digging the hole deeper by doubling down on defense. He seems to have two modes of writing -- ambiguous and defensive."

Sorry to say, it looks like I'll have to rethink my statement. His modes of writing now appear to have increased to four -- ambiguous, defensive, hyper-defensive, and bullying.

Case in point: his reply to Nesboy43, a mild-mannered MC member for 9 years, whose prior posts on this topic make it clear that he supports Al and in no way supports Snyder's story. Photomatt reacted as if Nesboy was defending Snyder, then proceeded to berate and threaten him... and then locked the thread.

Mind you, this is on a forum where PhotoMatt has posted lengthy rules prohibiting personal attacks, and has made name-calling a bannable offense.

Nesboy43 said:
So far my biggest issue with the whole thing is not the claims, as they haven't been proved as of yet (at least as far as I'm aware), but that MC staff acted the way they did by revealing personal information and making threats (and now they go in this thread calling someone a derogatory name). To me this doesn't bode well for what used to be a family oriented site. This also doesn't bode well for anyone that values privacy.

If there is no accountability for these actions then I certainly will not be visiting the site anymore. Not that it needs my views or will miss me, but I personally would just feel my information isn't safe.

PhotoMatt said:
Synder is a douchebag. I said it again, and I will keep saying it. If you want to defend him, fine, but you're not going to use MiceChat to do it.

You are entitled to have "issues with the whole thing", but you don't know all the facts, so your issues are with partial information or misinformation.

I violated no one's privacy. I did not reveal TP2000's address or any private information found on this site. I did not even reveal public information, unlike others who did in the very same thread. I said two things. I said he did not contact Dustysage, and I said he was lying. I retracted my post for legitimate reasons. Not one of those reasons was because my information was wrong. Period. I made sure to have my facts straight before I posted anything, and if you can't accept that it's your problem, not mine.

Anybody who has spent time on this forum knows that I have absolutely no problem with legitimate criticism. There are threads dedicated on ways to improve the forums, and no one has ever been banned for criticizing me legitimately. Your criticism is not legitimate, and it has no place here. You have no right to criticize ANYONE on the way they acted because not only do you not have all the information, but you weren't affected personally.

Finally, here's a real threat: if you EVER accuse me of falsely making threats again, consider yourself to have banned yourself. I am NOT going to put up with your BS. There, that's a threat, unlike my post on that other forum.

No one is making you stay. If you are unhappy, leave.

ETA: This statement - "I did not reveal TP2000's address or any private information found on this site" could be argued as being incorrect. It has been brought to my attention that I said, "You are registered on MiceChat under the name..." The argument is one of semantics.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I can see why Sony said no. The economy of scale means that it takes quite a bit of money for these movies just to break even (like $600 million) and then the remaining profit is divided up among theatre chains and the studio. Yes they also get money from DVD/Blu-ray/UHD sales, but those have been on a decline overall for years and not something big to rely on. Getting an even smaller fraction of the ticket revenue would mean not a lot for them in the end.

Disney already makes way more money from constant merch sales than Sony does putting out these movies every other year. It was pretty bold of Disney to ask for that much of a cut, but maybe they set the bar high so that if it gets negotiated down they will still end up with more than what they started with.

pwnbeaver

Upthread I posted that I thought Photomatt meant well, but his communication issues were "digging himself into a hole... and then digging the hole deeper by doubling down on defense. He seems to have two modes of writing -- ambiguous and defensive."

That post is absolutely bonkers. Anyone who was in that thread would call what he did a threat, now he's trying to use semantics to pretend he did absolutely nothing wrong?

Matt, please, I would respect you a lot if you would just say "sorry, I goofed" and move on instead of trying to erase history. All you're doing is making the Medium article look more and more correct. It's better to say nothing after a short statement than keep pressing the issue and turning people on your site.

ImperfectPixie

Sorry to say, it looks like I'll have to rethink my statement that he means well. His modes of writing now appear to have increased to four -- ambiguous, defensive, hyper-defensive, and bullying.

Case in point: his reply to Nesboy43, a mild-mannered MC member for 9 years, whose prior posts on this topic make it clear that he supports Al and in no way supports Snyder's story. Photomatt reacted as if Nesboy was defending Snyder, then proceeded to berate him, and then closed the thread.

Mind you, this is on a forum where PhotoMatt has posted lengthy rules prohibiting personal attacks, and has made name-calling a bannable offense.
Someone has allowed emotions to infiltrate his mod style...not a good look IMO. In my group, we give rule-breakers one politely worded warning. If they violate again, they get the boot.

Filby61

...Matt, please, I would respect you a lot if you would just say "sorry, I goofed" and move on instead of trying to erase history. All you're doing is making the Medium article look more and more correct. It's better to say nothing after a short statement than keep pressing the issue and turning people on your site.

Which is to say, "the first rule when you've dug yourself into a hole is to stop digging."

ImperfectPixie

It's like a hysterical cycle of denial, threats, bans, thread closures, etc. Previous to this I had no knowledge of the staff behind MC, but I'm surprised the owners are letting him continue to post as it is not a good look for the site and will unquestionably impact the future traffic to the site.
It really is, and I would be surprised if traffic wasn't affected once the brew-ha-ha calms down a bit. Our biggest rule above all others is to be respectful...and we can't expect that of our members if we aren't respectful ourselves.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
If people are gonna talk the Spiderman stuff, there's a thread right here

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
When I first came to this site back in 2005 I was immediately met with resistance from members such as Enderkairi and Corrus who right away attempted to outshout any criticism I had over how the parks were being managed and the flaws with Disney’s leadership. I was banned on multiple accounts because of dogpilling from Disney employees masquerading as regular “fans” and their followers. It wasn’t really until the early 2010s when WDW1974 and others migrated over to this site did the culture finally change here.

Sites like Laughingplace continued on after that spewing Disney’s propaganda

Were you Thrawn?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom