News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

the_rich

Which Sony was fitting 100% of the bill so Disney could literally do whatever they wanted. Its not like Sony can make up profit for their BIGGEST IP merch wise etc. The films are the only way they make money. So I do not blame them for this.
Feige gave them their heighest grossing movie ever. It wasn't like Disney said you finance and we get 50% of the profits. It was a 50/50 financing split. After Amazing Spiderman 2 the character was sunk. Marvel saved it.

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
Not to take this too far off topic, but Sony just ended the Spider Man partnership, taking Spider Man out of the MCU. What a rough three day stretch for Disney.
This is literally the worst. I guess the fan community is having a rough couple of days. I wonder how or if they will address any of it at the Expo.

Viget

The first part of 5 and all of 6 is the stuff I am struggling to wrap my head around and believing. Why go after MC and TP if they supposedly share the same enemy as the Snyders. Also, why does Kalgoridis seemingly get a pass?

<speculation>
Because you're missing the cynically obvious explanation: Micechat and TP aren't taking their own initiative here as "concerned fans." They're being told what to do by their corporate overlords. And the edict is blame Chapek for all of TWDC's woes. I could see how this would off Spirit and his brother, especially if they knew or had a very educated understanding of what Iger and Zenia have been up to lately. Wouldn't be surprised if similar sources are behind the accounting shenanigans article... again it looks bad on Chapek, since he's head of Parks/Resorts/Consumer goods/whatever.

Now, I'm not positing the above conjecture as fact. But it certainly passes the Occam's razor test.

Strange times, indeed. I tend to think there are many other shoes to fall. My question is, are these the first shots fired in an all-out media war? I feel like it's not coincidental that this all goes down around D23, and immediately after the Viacom/CBS Shari Redstone consolidation power play. </speculation>

the_rich

Tom Holland stays I think. But, the movies will be horrible as in the past. Maybe they will get DC's movie people to shoot it all in CGI hahaha.
I can't see how he stays. Too much involvement with the mcu. It would take some serious narrative twisting to keep him.

HmmmmmMMMmm

Disney has already lost a lot of their core Star Wars fans. This will lose some of the core of their Marvel fans. Bad bad bad moves. Rise of Skywalker is going to open up a lot of eyes if SWGE already hasn't opened them. They ruined their Space Movie Golden Goose, I can see this same regime ruining their Superhero Movie Golden Goose next.

rudyjr13

Disney has already lost a lot of their core Star Wars fans. This will lose some of the core of their Marvel fans. Bad bad bad moves.

After reading the Deadline article in addition to the Buzzfeed article, the slant there is more that Sony is to blame. It’s very complimentary to Feige. They said Sony thinks they can win without Michael Jordan.

I don’t know who to blame here (maybe both companies) but in my opinion it’s more of a Disney/MCU story (they lost) than a Sony winning story.

DCLcruiser

I can't see how he stays. Too much involvement with the mcu. It would take some serious narrative twisting to keep him.
The old MCU is over. Phase 4 is mostly obscure characters.

That doesn't matter. How can they continue the character when his whole arc is centered around losing iron Man who was his father figure.
A lot of the old MCU characters are dead... So they can do whatever they want. Plus, the Spider-verse storyline is all Sony, and matches with the current comics.

HmmmmmMMMmm

I think the issue is that Disney made a deal and then tried to change the deal once things took off. Which starts to look to a long term play: they played softball until Spiderman became tied into the MCU in the eyes of the public (and became beloved for his role in the MCU in the eyes of the public). Once that happened, Disney tried to get more out of the deal and started playing hardball because they knew that Sony wasn't in much of a position to say no without messing up the public's perception of the character. It starts to look very... planned.

the_rich

I think the issue is that Disney made a deal and then tried to change the deal once things took off. Which starts to look to a long term play: they played softball until Spiderman became tied into the MCU in the eyes of the public (and became beloved for his role in the MCU in the eyes of the public). Once that happened, Disney tried to get more out of the deal and started playing hardball because they knew that Sony wasn't in much of a position to say no without messing up the public's perception of the character. It starts to look very... planned.
Planned or not, this looks worse for Sony than Disney.

ImperfectPixie

The irony for me was that he was using Disney as a stepping stone to his real goal: to be President of the United States. And while he's at it, make a boat load of money in the meantime. Also, I think that Spirit loved Disney from reading his post over the years. Of course this is just my opinion.
This is why I think the Mucha/Iger team-up in the Medium article makes sense he's long been known to have political aspirations, and with her background in politics, she's the perfect person to help him after he helped her rise to among the top executives of Disney.

MaximumEd

It’s super big-time corporate money. Of course it’s all planned. Sometimes you gamble and win and other times you lose, but it’s all calculated 7 ways to Sunday by a whole team of people much smarter than me. Well, they certainly look smarter when they win, at least.

the_rich

Iron Man isn't going to be in future Spider Man movies...
Obviously Downey wouldn't be, his presence would have tho. This Spiderman is defined by his connection to iron Man. He had an arc to complete and now it can't be. I mean it shows him basically becoming the new tony Stark. The scene in the airplane of making his suit was plainly obvious. There is no.way they can continue with him in any coherent way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom