Expedition Everest's Devil's Advocate

wannab@dis

After this... I AM finished with discussions with you. :D

Merlin said:
at least debate me
This isn't a debate. It's an argument where you attempt to claim nobody's opinion matters except yours. It is exactly like every other 'debate' you get into on the boards. That's easy to see for anyone that have seen your posts over the last couple of years.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I expected to never ride it but for it add huge crowds to AK and I'd probably get a cute Yeti plush out of the deal.

So far, it's lived up to all my expectations :) I love my Yeti plush.

wannab@dis

mousermerf said:
I expected to never ride it but for it add huge crowds to AK and I'd probably get a cute Yeti plush out of the deal.

So far, it's lived up to all my expectations :) I love my Yeti plush.
:lol: At least you have your plush.

Will you ever ride a coaster or thrill ride? :(

Pongo

Merlin said:
Like others, I'm just expressing my honest opinion too. My opinion is ruffling feathers though, because it differs from a few others and it probably strikes a nerve with those who know I'm right (and are probably afraid their loyalties to Disney would be in question if they admitted it to themselves and to others).

There are other people in this thread that have said that EE wasn't what they expected and that they didn't particulary enjoy it. But the difference between them and you is that you are telling people that your experience was THE experience. You are TELLING PEOPLE that it is not good instead of letting them experience it for themselves.

Merlin said:
Tell me where I've claimed what the "majority of people think of the attraction."

Okay...

Merlin said:
I think what would make many on this discussion board cry would be admitting their beloved Everest, and attraction they looked forward to for years, did not remotely live up to their expectations.

Merlin said:
I think that opinion is striking a nerve with you and others because you probably realize I have a point. Instead of admitting that, you'll just say that I'm trying to pick fights and win battles. Neither of those is something I'm trying to do.

Merlin said:
They just can't admit to themselves that the attraction they've been looking forward to all these years is really a big letdown. So they do and say everything they can to convince themselves that it is NOT a letdown.

Merlin said:
He probably feels he's being disloyal to Disney if he admits out loud that Everest really is a disappointment. Of course, there's no shame in admitting that. It doesn't make a person any less of a Disney fan. It just means you're accepting that Disney missed the ball on this one.

Merlin said:
But in the case of Everest, it really is a tremendous disappointment, so people who read and believe posts like these are going to feel even more let down.

I'm tired of typing the quote codes. I hope that will suffice.

You are a hypocrite. Psychological studies do not make your opinion right.

Oh, and Everest definitely lived up to my expectations. And then some.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

:wave:

peter11435

Merlin said:
Tell me where I've claimed what the "majority of people think of the attraction." You can't, because I've never made that claim. If you're going to debate me, at least debate me based on things I've actually stated and on points that I've actually made.

Wow. You have repeatedly tried numerous times to say how people feel about this attraction. Maybe I see the problem now, you have no idea what you are typing.

Merlin said:
But how do you know that "nearly every train...."? Are you there 24/7? All you have to base your perception on is the small sliver of time that you've actually been there.

No, I have not been there all of the time. However I have ridden about two dozen times and have seen about twice that many trains come in. I highly doubt every train I saw was full of smiling people and applause if that was not a very common occurrence.

Merlin said:
Everest isn't impressive enough to prompt trainload after trainload of people to think to applaud on their own.

See now your applying your own opinions to other again.

Merlin said:
What exactly is the "battle" that you think I'm trying to win? I'm expressing my opinion, just as everyone else is doing on these boards.

You are not simply expressing your opinion. You are trying to apply your opinion to others while at the same time saying that people who say they like the ride are only unwilling to say they are unimpressed with it. That is not expressing your opinion of the ride; it is shooting down other people opinions and making false accusations.

SpongeScott

Merlin said:
That's the packaged response to anyone who says an attraction didn't meet their expectations isn't it? I've lost count of how many times I've read this line (usually paraphrased as something along the lines of, "Good, one less person in line ahead of me when I go".) An original response would be refreshing. :lol:
Original? OK.....

You are a self-centered egotist who won't allow for anyone to hold to an opinion here unless it agrees with you. You can't fathom the thought that someone could actually use their own cognitive reasoning and make up their own minds about EE because you are too shallow and insecure in yourself to allow for an opposing view. And you have an obsession with bashing this attraction, for whatever reason. You don't like it? Great! That's your opinion. Be man enough to admit that others just possibly do with no strings attached.

Like wannab, I'll not respond and stoop to the level of arguing with an idiot.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Pongo said:
There are other people in this thread that have said that EE wasn't what they expected and that they didn't particulary enjoy it. But the difference between them and you is that you are telling people that your experience was THE experience. You are TELLING PEOPLE that it is not good instead of letting them experience it for themselves.

Okay...

I'm tired of typing the quote codes. I hope that will suffice.

You are a hypocrite. Psychological studies do not make your opinion right.

Oh, and Everest definitely lived up to my expectations. And then some.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

It's a shame you went to the trouble to post all those quotes from me. No where in any of them am I claiming "what the majority of people think of the attraction." That was what I asked for evidence of because that was the claim that was inaccurately attributed to me.

Pongo

Merlin said:
It's a shame you went to the trouble to post all those quotes from me. No where in any of them am I claiming "what the majority of people think of the attraction." That was what I asked for evidence of because that was the claim that was inaccurately attributed to me.

:brick:

Merlin said:
They just can't admit to themselves that the attraction they've been looking forward to all these years is really a big letdown.

How is that NOT claiming that everyone thinks Everest is terrible, but won't admit it to themselves?

Merlin said:
I think what would make many on this discussion board cry would be admitting their beloved Everest, and attraction they looked forward to for years, did not remotely live up to their expectations.

Again. Assuming we all hate it but won't admit it to ourselves. I'm not crying, BTW.

Seriosuly.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Merlin,

I've read most of your posts on the subject of EE. You seem to have come to a determination that the individuals who discussed the full extent of rumours and speculation prior to the ride being available have created an unattainable expectation of excellence and, when in you're scenario the ride doesn't live up to that expectation, they create a delusion in their own mind to rationalize their unstated disappointment. This because to say otherwise might betray their status as self-professed Disney affectionados.

As I recall, prior to riding EE, you spent most of your time deriding the ride based on your interpretation of the various rather poor quality on-ride videos that were available from a variety of sources, even arguing the ride's quality with people who had physically experienced it. Perhaps you should look in the mirror my friend... Perhaps it is you who created such unrealistic expectations of extensive faults with the ride and its presentation before actually experiencing it that you've deluded yourself after the actual experience to rationalize your own unstated enjoyment of the ride? Presumably to avoid betraying your status as the voice of reason in a sea of mindless automaton fans?

Your logic sounds almost as ludicrous when it is directed at you, doesn't it?

peter11435

Merlin said:
My claim was not inaccurately attributed to you. I am not going to waste my time searching and posting quotes as I and everyone else on this forum (including yourself I'm sure) know exactly what I was talking about.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
Wow. You have repeatedly tried numerous times to say how people feel about this attraction. Maybe I see the problem now, you have no idea what you are typing.

Saying that I am "repeatedly" doing something "numerous times" is not only redundant, but it's also not providing evidence of your claim. So I'll ask again, where in any of these forums have I done that? If you can't produce evidence, then please retract your accusation that I've done that.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
wannab@dis said:
:lol: At least you have your plush.

Will you ever ride a coaster or thrill ride? :(

Merf's list-o-thrills...

Scorpion at Busch Gardens - my first coaster, where i banged my head and was knocked unconcious and don't remember much of anything except fear as i dropped, blacking out after a painful thump, then waking up as i was being lifted out of the vehicle.

Stanley Falls Log Flume at Busch - Hated every second. Hate hate hate. I tried to hide in a ball in the boat as a kid. I thought you could hide from drops.

Monto at Busch Gardens - a few years later, and I have peer pressure to help me along, I disliked the sensations but thought it was a neat experience. Inverted coasters aren't so bad.

Tidal Wave at Busch - Turns out Monto gave me a slight migraine (stress), so i'm buzzed on pain killers. It's not so bad, but i'll never do it sober.

JP at IOA - Scary drops in the dark aren't fun. Done it like twice though.

Dudley Dooright at IOA - Scariest flume ever! I begged the animatronics to save me, and i almost got out of a moving vehicles to avoid the final drop. Twas miserable.

Ice Dragon at IOA - Made me queasy, and i was out of it for the rest of the day.

Dinosaur at AK - Most evil dark ride ever! I hit my head, i got gunk splattered on me, and i got a nastey headache.

So, i've not had good experiences... B&M is the only coaster company i trust not to kill me, and all flume rides are evil. I used to be excited about the Norway ride because i'm Norwegian but my sheer terror of Dudley has turned me off to it. Anytime i've ridden POTC i always brace myself for the absolute worst before that little drop, after which i wonder why i was so freaked out.

peter11435

Merlin said:
If you can't produce evidence, then please retract your accusation that I've done that.

I won't retract by accusation because it is 100% accurate. As Pongo pointed out saying things like "They just can't admit to themselves that the attraction they've been looking forward to all these years is really a big letdown" is a prime example of you trying to say what the majority of people think of the attraction.

Oh and I am very sorry I accidentally said some redundant in my post. I hope it didn't incontinence you much.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
My claim was not inaccurately attributed to you. I am not going to waste my time searching and posting quotes as I and everyone else on this forum (including yourself I'm sure) know exactly what I was talking about.

Translation = I, Peter, made it up because I didn't think my claim would be challenged. Now that I have been backed into a corner and cannot support my claim, I'll just pretend I'm "too mature" to discuss it any further and that I "don't have time" to look up the evidence.

Here's a suggestion: The next time you accuse another member of saying something they didn't say, why not be man enough to make the time to look up the evidence first.

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
I won't retract by accusation because it is 100% accurate. As Pongo pointed out saying things like "They just can't admit to themselves that the attraction they've been looking forward to all these years is really a big letdown" is you trying to say what the majority of people think of the attraction.

No it isn't. That was his misinterpretation of what I said, and I think you are just jumping on his bandwagon. The "they" I'm referring to are the handful of members reviewing the attraction positively on this thread. In fact, earlier in this thread, I even referred to them as a "handful". How is a "handful" the "majority"?

peter11435

Merlin said:
Here's a suggestion: The next time you accuse another member of saying something they didn't say, why not be man enough to make the time to look up the evidence first.

You did say it, and Pongo and I have both provided evidence of that. I don't have to support my claim when you are the only one who can't see it as true.

Pongo

Merlin said:
Translation = I, Peter, made it up because I didn't think my claim would be challenged. Now that I have been backed into a corner and cannot support my claim, I'll just pretend I'm "too mature" to discuss it any further and that I "don't have time" to look up the evidence.

Why not be man enough to look back at this post and realize how much of a HYPOCRITE you're being.

Seriously. How can you say something like that and then tell us you AREN'T trying to express what other people are thinking.

Checkmate.

Merlin

Account Suspended
mousermerf said:
Merf's list-o-thrills...

Scorpion at Busch Gardens - my first coaster, where i banged my head and was knocked unconcious and don't remember much of anything except fear as i dropped, blacking out after a painful thump, then waking up as i was being lifted out of the vehicle.

Stanley Falls Log Flume at Busch - Hated every second. Hate hate hate. I tried to hide in a ball in the boat as a kid. I thought you could hide from drops.

Monto at Busch Gardens - a few years later, and I have peer pressure to help me along, I disliked the sensations but thought it was a neat experience. Inverted coasters aren't so bad.

Tidal Wave at Busch - Turns out Monto gave me a slight migraine (stress), so i'm buzzed on pain killers. It's not so bad, but i'll never do it sober.

JP at IOA - Scary drops in the dark aren't fun. Done it like twice though.

Dudley Dooright at IOA - Scariest flume ever! I begged the animatronics to save me, and i almost got out of a moving vehicles to avoid the final drop. Twas miserable.

Ice Dragon at IOA - Made me queasy, and i was out of it for the rest of the day.

Dinosaur at AK - Most evil dark ride ever! I hit my head, i got gunk splattered on me, and i got a nastey headache.

So, i've not had good experiences... B&M is the only coaster company i trust not to kill me, and all flume rides are evil. I used to be excited about the Norway ride because i'm Norwegian but my sheer terror of Dudley has turned me off to it. Anytime i've ridden POTC i always brace myself for the absolute worst before that little drop, after which i wonder why i was so freaked out.

Merf,

It if sets your mind at ease, I don't think you have to worry about Everest causing you any of the types of sensations described above. What you are likely to experience, however, is an overwhelming sense of boredom. :lol:

Pongo

Merlin said:
Merf,

It if sets your mind at ease, I don't think you have to worry about Everest causing you any of the types of sensations described above. What you are likely to experience, however, is an overwhelming sense of boredom. :lol:

Are you doing this just to spite us all now?

...Because it's very immature.

peter11435

Merlin said:
But in the case of Everest, it really is a tremendous disappointment, so people who read and believe posts like these are going to feel even more let down.

Merlin said:
What you are likely to experience, however, is an overwhelming sense of boredom.

Both of these quotes are examples of you applying your opinions to others. I would find more but unfortunatly many of your best were in a thread that is now deleted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom