Expedition Everest's Devil's Advocate

Merlin

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
Both of these quotes are examples of you applying your opinions to others. I would find more but unfortunatly many of your best were in a thread that is now deleted.

Well that works out rather conveniently for YOU doesn't it? :animwink:

Nevertheless, these still are not examples of me claiming what the "majority" of people think. That's what I was accused of.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Pongo said:
Why not be man enough to look back at this post and realize how much of a HYPOCRITE you're being.

Seriously. How can you say something like that and then tell us you AREN'T trying to express what other people are thinking.

I AM expressing what I wholeheartedly believe other people are thinking (and refuse to admit it to themselves). But that's beside the point. I was accused of trying to state what the MAJORITY of people think. This is not an example of that. In fact, no examples exist because I've never tried to express what the majority of people think. That's what I was accused of and now you, nor anyone else, can produce evidence of that claim.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Pongo said:
Why not be man enough to look back at this post and realize how much of a HYPOCRITE you're being.

Another empty accusation with no merit whatsoever. How do you define what a "hypocrite" is? And where is your evidence that I've been one?

Pongo

Merlin said:
I AM expressing what I wholeheartedly believe other people are thinking (and refuse to admit it to themselves). But that's beside the point. I was accused of trying to state what the MAJORITY of people think. This is not an example of that. In fact, no examples exist because I've never tried to express what the majority of people think. That's what I was accused of and now you, nor anyone else, can produce evidence of that claim.

What does it really matter if it's one person or the whole world.

Either way, you have no right to assume what I or anyone else thinks.

Pongo

Merlin said:
Another empty accusation with no merit whatsoever. How do you define what a "hypocrite" is? And where is your evidence that I've been one?

:brick: :brick: :brick:

There is no getting through to you.

You are saying you are not assuming what people think and then go off telling Peter what is (read: isn't) going through his head.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Pongo said:
What does it really matter if it's one person or the whole world.

Now you're changing your tune though. You said I was speaking for the majority. That's the accusation I've been defending myself against. Now that you can't back it up, you're changing your complaint.

Pongo said:
Either way, you have no right to assume what I or anyone else thinks.

Sure I do. My assumption might not be correct (though I believe it is), but I have every right to assume it, as do you.

Pongo

Merlin said:
Now you're changing your tune though. You said I was speaking for the majority. That's the accusation I've been defending myself against. Now that you can't back it up, you're changing your complaint.

Now you're just finding petty things to argue about. I am not "changing my tune". Assuming you know what the majority thinks is one in the same with assuming what one person thinks. They're both wrong.

Merlin said:
Sure I do. My assumption might not be correct (though I believe it is), but I have every right to assume it, as do you.

I'm going the way of Peter, wannab, and objr. You are impossible to reason with. The above statement confirms this. Steve, please delete this thread.

Good night :wave:

Edited due to strange wording.

AEfx

Merlin said:
This is an example of someone who clearly is hoping dearly that he'll one day LOVE Everest. He probably feels he's being disloyal to Disney if he admits out loud that Everest really is a disappointment. Of course, there's no shame in admitting that. It doesn't make a person any less of a Disney fan. It just means you're accepting that Disney missed the ball on this one.
Uh, Merlin, way to mischaracterize someone who somewhat agrees with you.

I'm not hoping dearly for anything. I'm expressing my opinion, much like you are. Unfortunately, your posts seem to demonstrate a clear lack of the understanding of opinion versus fact. I have no problem being critical of Disney attractions based on MY OWN tastes, but unlike yourself I do not presume that everyone elses tastes are the same.

E:E is not the type of ride I expected, as I also experienced with ToT when I initially rode it. However, after the first ride I was able to let go of those expectations, just like happened with ToT, and I've found myself begining to look forward to my next trip (a few months away) to experience it again now that I understand what the attraction is about.

Do I agree that if you spent years building this thing up into your mind that your expectations were blown? Sure - just like anything else. Ask George Lucas about that. Fortunately, I am able to step past those expectations - it isn't much of a dark ride, so now I will enjoy what of the dark ride is there, and for the fun coaster with cool views it also is.

It has nothing to do with being desperate, or being a fanboy of Disney (in fact I've been accused of being quite the opposite...neither of which is entirely correct) - it's simply that now that I understand what I'm experiencing, I can experience it for what it is, not what my imagination made it out to be.

You've spent this whole thread telling people what they think - the quote above clearly shows that. You need to examine these control issues - why are you not content sharing your opinion without insisting you know other people's opinions better than themselves?

AEfx

Shaman

On a somewhat related matter, did they ever finish exterior lighting on Everest? If so does anyone have pictures of Everest at night?

:D

:lookaroun

peter11435

Examples of Merlin trying to say what the majority of people think.

Merlin said:
guests will find it unsatisfying to only see a glimpse of the Yeti.

Merlin said:
People aren't going to get off this ride and say, "Oh I get it. It's supposed to just be a tease. We were just supposed to get a glimpse because that's how it would be in real life". Instead, most are going to say things like, "I thought you were supposed to see that snow creature on this ride. Instead, they showed us that cartoon right after we went backwards and then we went flying past a statue of it with a moving arm that looked like it was supposed to be grabbing us. What a rip!"

Merlin said:
Knowing the high expectations guests have these days regarding their entertainment, trust me....most will feel let down and disappointed.

Merlin said:
Unfortunately, people don't want a "tease" these days in their entertainment. And they don't care that the mystique is lost. In fact, they're not going on the ride just to come away puzzled and wondering what they just saw. They're riding to get the "encounter" that Disney promises them they'll have.

Merlin said:
Guests in general are going to feel jipped because of the incredibly brief sighting of the Yeti.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom