Expedition Everest's Devil's Advocate

btwnguy_22

RnRC was designed and fabricated by Vekoma. Bascially Disney bought an off the shelf design from them and worked the building and cue, etc., around Vekoma's ride. This track layout was Vekoma's "spaghetti bowl" ride, designed to compete with Premier Ride's version which can be seen in the Flight of Fear rides (indoor) at Paramount Parks and in several outdoor versions around the world. Vekoma built most of their early success on offering a cheaper alternative to a popular coaster style.

WDI designed the layout and general execution for EE in conjunction with Vekoma. Vekoma did the track engineering and fabrication. They also developed a new track style for this ride. So technically, Vekoma is still considered the track manufacturer for EE, its just WDI had the input on the layout.

BT

Merlin

Account Suspended
objr said:
...sure it could be better...but that's what the future refurbs are for, right? I mean if it were perfect, it would get boring in ten years...then what?

:lookaroun :D

So instead, Disney saved time by going ahead and just making it boring NOW! :lol:

AEfx

AndyMagic said:
I didn't need Everest to be faster, I needed either a better, more interesting layout or a more interesting dark ride mixed in. EE provided neither and thus, was disappointing.
I too was hoping for more dark ride elements. I knew full well there would only be one AA, but I was expecting the ride to take place primarily in the dark, not simply be a BTM-type experience with a few brief dark-ride moments.

Everest was fun, and it's a great ride - just not exactly what I was expecting. I felt the same way riding ToT initially - I thought it was going to be a nice dark ride that had the drop at the end (a la Splash Mountain), and not just two brief scenes and then the drop. It took me awhile before I could truly appriciate ToT for what it is, and I'm sure the same will happen with E:E.

That's just me and my dark-ride loving Disney-expectations, though. I'm sure the vast majority of the public is awed, and it will prove to be massively popular for a very long time.

AEfx

Merlin

Account Suspended
WDW_Sam said:
I'm just going to try to go there with an open mind. Sometimes if you expect too much, you can't appreciate it.

Sam

If you rely on what some have said about it on these boards, you'll likely expect too much. Keep in mind there are some who will say it's "awesome" or "amazing" no matter how disappointing it is. They just can't admit to themselves that the attraction they've been looking forward to all these years is really a big letdown. So they do and say everything they can to convince themselves that it is NOT a letdown. There's actually a pyschological term for it. It's called "cognitive dissonance". Luckily, I factored that in when I rode it the first time, so I didn't have unrealistic expectations. I actually did the same thing with Mission: Space when it first opened and I ended up being pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, I was still let down with Expedition Everest.

Shaman

Merlin said:
If you rely on what some have said about it on these boards, you'll likely expect too much. Keep in mind there are some who will say it's "awesome" or "amazing" no matter how disappointing it is. They just can't admit to themselves that the attraction they've been looking forward to all these years is really a big letdown. So they do and say everything they can to convince themselves that it is NOT a letdown. There's actually a pyschological term for it. It's called "cognitive dissonance". Luckily, I factored that in when I rode it the first time, so I didn't have unrealistic expectations. I actually did the same thing with Mission: Space when it first opened and I ended up being pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, I was still let down with Expedition Everest.

o·pin·ion (…-p¹n“y…n) n. 1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

:wave:

Merlin

Account Suspended
objr said:
o·pin·ion (…-p¹n“y…n) n. 1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

:wave:

Straight out of dictionary.com.

Unfortunately, the "held with confidence" part of this definition is not something I think really applies to a lot of the opinions expressed on these boards about Everest. :lol: Then again, cognitive dissonance is a state of mind that causes many people to wholeheartedly convince themselves.

Merlin

Account Suspended
WDW_Sam said:
I'm just going to try to go there with an open mind. Sometimes if you expect too much, you can't appreciate it.

Sam

Sam, here is a really good example of a "red flag" that should let you know that even the hardcore Disney fans aren't entirely convinced that Everest is really all that great....

AEfx said:
Everest was fun, and it's a great ride - just not exactly what I was expecting. I felt the same way riding ToT initially - I thought it was going to be a nice dark ride that had the drop at the end (a la Splash Mountain), and not just two brief scenes and then the drop. It took me awhile before I could truly appriciate ToT for what it is, and I'm sure the same will happen with E:E.AEfx

This is an example of someone who clearly is hoping dearly that he'll one day LOVE Everest. He probably feels he's being disloyal to Disney if he admits out loud that Everest really is a disappointment. Of course, there's no shame in admitting that. It doesn't make a person any less of a Disney fan. It just means you're accepting that Disney missed the ball on this one.

Shaman

Merlin said:
Straight out of dictionary.com.

Unfortunately, the "held with confidence" part of this definition is not something I think really applies to a lot of the opinions expressed on these boards about Everest. :lol: Then again, cognitive dissonance is a state of mind that causes many people to wholeheartedly convince themselves.

Who cares? If people like it, they like it...and will probably continue to experience the attraction. If they hate Everest, they hate it....and won't be seen anywhere near it...

Why are some people who hate the attraction trying to convince those that enjoyed Everest that it's worthless?

I mean, it's cool to say, "I didn't like it," but to say "Everyone who likes it is living in a dream world, because Everest is awful"....that's kind of childish.

Makes you wonder who really is living with this "cognitive dissonance"...

Merlin

Account Suspended
objr said:
Why are some people who hate the attraction trying to convince those that enjoyed Everest that it's worthless?

By the same token, why are people being misleading to members who haven't ridden it yet and telling them that's its a great attraction? It's okay to say you personally loved it, but many members are making some claims that border on the ridiculous. For example, some members would have you believe that after every single ride, regardless of the day or time, "hundreds" of guests are coming off the ride and going on and on about how "awesome" and "amazing" it is. That description alone is definitely making Everest out to seem substantially more impressive than it is in reality. I think there's lots of people who will read those descriptions and take it literally. Those people are being set up for a major letdown. I personally think that's a wrong and unfair thing to do to people.

Shaman

Merlin said:
By the same token, why are people being misleading to members who haven't ridden it yet and telling them that's its a great attraction? It's okay to say you personally loved it, but many members are making some claims that border on the ridiculous. For example, some members would have you believe that after every single ride, regardless of the day or time, "hundreds" of guests are coming off the ride and going on and on about how "awesome" and "amazing" it is. That description alone is definitely making Everest out to seem substantially more impressive than it is in reality. I think there's lots of people who will read those descriptions and take it literally. Those people are being set up for a major letdown. I personally think that's a wrong and unfair thing to do to people.

How is that similar to saying "you people who like Everest are crazy"?

I can tell you, that I have indeed seen those reactions from people exiting the ride; in fact two times I rode, people clapped as they entered the unload area...and since this is the first time I mention this (because I have never seen reason why it needs to be mentioned), I will also add the various times I have seen a WHOLE train of people exit and run back in line. Maybe they were just killing time....you'll have to be the judge.

Merlin

Account Suspended
objr said:
How is that similar to saying "you people who like Everest are crazy"?

Huh? :veryconfu You've quoted me twice now as having said this. When have I EVER said this?

objr said:
I can tell you, that I have indeed seen those reactions from people exiting the ride; in fact two times I rode, people clapped as they entered the unload area...and since this is the first time I mention this (because I have never seen reason why it needs to be mentioned),

I have no doubt you've seen those reactions from people. But there aren't really that many attractions in existence anywhere that haven't evoked that reaction at least sometimes. I've heard the same reactions from people exiting Mummy, Jaws, Hulk, Spiderman,...heck even the Flying Unicorn! What I think borders on the ridiculous, though, and also loses all credibility, is when members make claims like, "I've ridden Everest over 20 times now and EVERY SINGLE TIME I've ridden, I've heard 'HUNDREDS' of comments from guests about how awesome it was...and 'not one single guest' has been dissapointed with it." Before I rode Everest, and I read these types of posts, I found the claims highly suspect. But there are people on these boards who are going to believe these claims and take them literally. There's no way that ANY attraction could live up to that kind of hype. But in the case of Everest, it really is a tremendous disappointment, so people who read and believe posts like these are going to feel even more let down.

objr said:
I will also add the various times I have seen a WHOLE train of people exit and run back in line. Maybe they were just killing time....you'll have to be the judge.

Or maybe they were in a theme park that has no other thrill rides to choose from. :rolleyes:

Shaman

Merlin said:
Huh? :veryconfu You've quoted me twice now as having said this. When have I EVER said this?

Signature Merlin post....:lol:

I suppose citing a psychological term when speaking about others doesn't imply anything....silly me...

Shaman

Merlin said:
I have no doubt you've seen those reactions from people. But there aren't really that many attractions in existence anywhere that haven't evoked that reaction at least sometimes. I've heard the same reactions from people exiting Mummy, Jaws, Hulk, Spiderman,...heck even the Flying Unicorn! What I think borders on the ridiculous, though, and also loses all credibility, is when members make claims like, "I've ridden Everest over 20 times now and EVERY SINGLE TIME I've ridden, I've heard 'HUNDREDS' of comments from guests about how awesome it was...and 'not one single guest' has been dissapointed with it." Before I rode Everest, and I read these types of posts, I found the claims highly suspect. But there are people on these boards who are going to believe these claims and take them literally. There's no way that ANY attraction could live up to that kind of hype. But in the case of Everest, it really is a tremendous disappointment, so people who read and believe posts like these are going to feel even more let down.

Maybe I'm weird, but if I don't like an attraction...I don't go anywhere near it...ever again. But whatever...

In the end you'll convince people (as I'm sure you already have), whether that will have anything to do with Everest, remains to be seen.

Merlin

Account Suspended
objr said:
Signature Merlin post....:lol:

How is that my "signature post" when it's not something I've ever come close to saying or even implying? Aren't you putting words in my mouth...an act which seems to get people on these boards kind of worked up when it happens to them?

objr said:
I suppose citing a psychological term when speaking about others doesn't imply anything....silly me...

Well here's your educational lesson of the day: Not every "psychological term" automatically refers to someone being "crazy". And cognitive dissonance is by no means an example of any type of insane or crazy psychological condition. In fact, if you go back and re-read my post where I first mentioned it, I don't really see how you could have read into it that that was what I was saying. Put simply, cognitive dissonance is a where a person is conflicted between two simultaneous beliefs or attitudes that contradict one another. The mind seeks cognitive consonance and therefore tries to bring the two beliefs into harmony, usually by trying to justify one of them. I've never said anyone on these boards is "crazy" for liking Everest. However, in reading the way people describe why they DO like Everest, it seems obvious that deep down, they are really disappointed with it, but they are trying to convince themselves that they're actually impressed with it. For example, when people say things like, "It's 'great storytelling' that you only get a brief glimpse of the Yeti". That, to me, is laughable. I don't believe for a second that a single person making that claim would be at all disappointed if you got to see the Yeti more times or for a longer period of time.

Shaman

Merlin said:
How is that my "signature post" when it's not something I've ever come close to saying or even implying? Aren't you putting words in my mouth...an act which seems to get people on these boards kind of worked up when it happens to them?

Well here's your educational lesson of the day: Not every "psychological term" automatically refers to someone being "crazy". And cognitive dissonance is by no means an example of any type of insane or crazy psychological condition. In fact, if you go back and re-read my post where I first mentioned it, I don't really see how you could have read into it that that was what I was saying. Put simply, cognitive dissonance is a where a person is conflicted between two simultaneous beliefs or attitudes that contradict one another. The mind seeks cognitive consonance and therefore tries to bring the two beliefs into harmony, usually by trying to justify one of them. I've never said anyone on these boards is "crazy" for liking Everest. However, in reading the way people describe why they DO like Everest, it seems obvious that deep down, they are really disappointed with it, but they are trying to convince themselves that they're actually impressed with it. For example, when people say things like, "It's 'great storytelling' that you only get a brief glimpse of the Yeti". That, to me, is laughable. I don't believe for a second that a single person making that claim would be at all disappointed if you got to see the Yeti more times or for a longer period of time.

I think our posts speak for themselves. I have nothing else to say.

:kiss:

Merlin

Account Suspended
objr said:
Maybe I'm weird, but if I don't like an attraction...I don't go anywhere near it...ever again. But whatever...

Well for me, I suppose it would depend on the degree to which I dislike an attraction. There have certainly been attractions that have initially disappointed me, but when I gave it another chance, it grew on me. Splash Mt at DL was that way for me. When I first rode it, I didn't think it lived up to my expectations of what I thought it was going to be. I certainly didn't "hate" it though. As an earlier poster mentioned in this thread, that was his initial reaction to ToT. But the difference is that poster seemed to be hoping that he'd "learn to love" Expedition Everest. This, to me, sounds like a person who is conflicted. He seems to feel like he is somehow being disloyal to Disney if he doesn't "learn to love" Everest. Again, there's no shame in just admitting, "Gosh, it disappointed me, but I'll still ride it when I go there." But instead, people try to make it out into MUCH MUCH MUCH more than what it actually is.

As far as Everest is concerned. I would ride it again if I happened to be at AK. But it wouldn't be the thing that would draw me to that park, and I certainly don't think Everest alone justifies the admission price to AK.

Merlin

Account Suspended
objr said:
I think our posts speak for themselves. I have nothing else to say.

In your case, though, it doesn't seem that MY posts do speak for themselves, because you've pretty much misinterpreted everything I've said. Unless you're doing it on purpose just to be argumentative. After all, accusing me of calling people "crazy" definitely is something I'd consider an act intended to keep a conflict going. :rolleyes:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
peter11435 said:
My experience exactly. I have been on Everest 22 times now and have spent hours outside the attraction. I have yet to hear a single negative comment and have heard tons of positive comments.

Exactly. I'll be the first to tell you about all the problems with Stitch's Great Escape or about the Innoventions sign that hasn't been lit in 6 months. But most of the time Disney gets it right and with EE they have again.

Seriously, someone needs to call 7101 about that.. any Innoventions CMs on these boards?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Merlin said:
...That, to me, is laughable. I don't believe for a second that a single person making that claim would be at all disappointed if you got to see the Yeti more times or for a longer period of time.

Well, believe it or not, I would be disappointed if you directly saw more of the Yeti. I, along with my 10-year-old son, rode 18 times, 10 in "B" mode and 8 in "A". I found the entire experience most satisfying. IMHO longer exposure to the Yeti in the final scene or additional direct sightings prior to that scene would reduce the efficacy of the final scene. Sadly, you are not fortunate enough to have the same appreciation for the artistry of the overall show of EE. That doesn't for a moment suggest to me that I'm blinded by Disney fanaticism, rather that you are not accepting that others' tastes do not jive with yours. Pity, that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom