Expedition Everest mountain range mist/cloud effect working!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
One thing we don't talk about enough is how Disney needs to finish the mountain on the backside of the attraction (facing the parking lot), I think it's one of the only times that Disney has displayed "bad show". It bothers me.

The backside is setup as a villagescape, with village buildings etc. Ideally it would have been mountainr ange all around, but I think for the rare times you see this side, the work they did in setting up the village is enough.

dxwwf3

Glad to hear the mist is slowly coming back. I can see how this would add to the surprise of many first timers because it does block visibility of where you're going next.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I thought the tunnel mist was causing excessive moisture on the tracks and resulted in triggering emergency stops, so they consciously turned it off?

Yeah that seems to be the common theory. However, there are other attractions that feature mist seemingly without serious problems, so I am sure something can be sorted out. This is WDI we are talking about here. :)

teebin

I thought the tunnel mist was causing excessive moisture on the tracks and resulted in triggering emergency stops, so they consciously turned it off?

It was something like that. They were using misters much like the ones used on cooling fans that produce droplets of water. Mist nozzles come in various configurations and some can create actual vapor which isn't wet at all. The vapor curtain on POTC for example. I wonder why they don't just switch it to a fine vapor system in the tunnel as this would evaporate long before settling on the tracks.

hauntdmansion79

The backside is setup as a villagescape, with village buildings etc. Ideally it would have been mountainr ange all around, but I think for the rare times you see this side, the work they did in setting up the village is enough.

So the back side of the mountain doesn't look like the pictures posted below anymore? I didn't take a picture while I was there but I distinctly remember from the parking lot clearly seeing some of the show building on the side of Everest. Does anyone have an updated picture of the village buildings you are speaking of?

backside_1_web.jpg

backside_2_web.jpg

Glad to hear the mist is slowly coming back. I can see how this would add to the surprise of many first timers because it does block visibility of where you're going next.
This isn't the mist they are talking about. They are talking about the mist around the peek. The mist in the first small tunnel leading to the ripped up tracks is still turned off at the moment.

wild01ride

That's exciting to hear that this attraction is finally being tuned to work all at once.
I am one of the lucky ones who has been fortunate enough to catch the Yeti in A-mode many, many times (I think 100% for me).

I'm definitely glad to hear about the water fall. I occassionally watch "The making of Expedition Everest" (or whatever it was called on the Discovery Channel) and seeing an extensive waterfall coming off of the mountain and falling a substantial distance to a lower part of the mountain. I've wondered every time "where the heck is that waterfall" because I sure haven't seen it with my own eyes!

Thanks for the great pics, Steve!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So the back side of the mountain doesn't look like the pictures posted below anymore? I didn't take a picture while I was there but I distinctly remember from the parking lot clearly seeing some of the show building on the side of Everest. Does anyone have an updated picture of the village buildings you are speaking of?

backside_1_web.jpg

backside_2_web.jpg

This isn't the mist they are talking about. They are talking about the mist around the peek. The mist in the first small tunnel leading to the ripped up tracks is still turned off at the moment.

No it doesnt look like that. When did oyu take that? Right at the soft openings? The villagescape was added right around the official opening, so it hasnt been bare for a long time now. Let me see if I can hunt a pic down for you.

EpcotServo

WOW! I chalked that one up for dead since I never even got to see it operation. What's strange is that I think that's a brand new box-type thing. The old ones are in that crack facing the other way. Also, I wonder if the night version is working on it? At night it's supposed to flash with lightning. I heard it looked pretty cool...

I really hope I get to see it before they turn it off!
:D

(Hey Steve, mind if I use one of the pictures for my Everest site?)

AndyMagic

Can someone clarify this for me because I'm a little confused. Is this mist only seen from far away as it is at the "summit" of the mountain and not on the actual ride itself? Does it just add something to the outside without adding anything to the ride? If so, that's a little sad but it's good to see they are working on the little things.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So just to clarify, this mist is only seen from far away as it is at the "summit" of the mountain and not on the actual ride itself? So basically it just adds something to the outside without adding anything to the ride? That's a little sad but it's good to see they are working on the little things.

No it adds something to both the view of the mountain, and onride. When riding you can see it from the tea garden section, on the ascent up the lift, and at the top of the mountain.

AndyMagic

No it adds something to both the view of the mountain, and onride. When riding you can see it from the tea garden section, on the ascent up the lift, and at the top of the mountain.

Gotcha. Thanks. If they get the mist in the tunnel working it should all work together quite nicely. I wonder why they don't just use a dry ice effect like they use on The Mummy ride so that it doesn't screw around with the sensors on the ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep agreed, it could be better. However, at this point, so much of the show isnt working, I'd just be glad just to see everything that is there working.
Here`s hoping the parks 10th gift will be to get all the mountains effects working - and all of Dinosaurs too! And to keep `em working!

To all of you going on Tuesday; I wish I was with ya. Shoot lots of video and have a great time :wave:

EpcotServo

Gotcha. Thanks. If they get the mist in the tunnel working it should all work together quite nicely. I wonder why they don't just use a dry ice effect like they use on The Mummy ride so that it doesn't screw around with the sensors on the ride.

The sensor story is a popular myth...the real reason was that it was rusting some of the random metal bars around them, (Like the artifacts from the Tabarms.) much faster than they had expected them too. There was really no issue with it rusting, they just panicked and shut it off.

The sensors were never an issue.

askmike1

No it doesnt look like that. When did oyu take that? Right at the soft openings? The villagescape was added right around the official opening, so it hasnt been bare for a long time now. Let me see if I can hunt a pic down for you.
I've seen many pictures of the bare backside (especially right before and after the mountain's opening) but haven't seen any of a villagescape. Does anyone here have pics (or links to pics)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom