Expedition Everest effects status watch

Seabasealpha1

i hate to say this, because I am in love with the ideas for the new night time entertainment, but maybe instead of starting to construct that project they should worry about refurbs to the attractions already in place, i.e. EE, which needs an extensive one.
I think one of the afterthought ideas behind all the new night show stuff, new entertainment, AVATAR, and general upgrades is that they can take enough pressure off of EE and have enough E-ticket rides in the rest of the park open so that they can afford to shut EE down to do the work...

Though, I've argued that the park stayed open without Everest for a pretty good stretch and still made some profit...but hey...it would be pretty much a Matterhorn-style re-do on steroids...

Lowery 1997

I think one of the afterthought ideas behind all the new night show stuff, new entertainment, AVATAR, and general upgrades is that they can take enough pressure off of EE and have enough E-ticket rides in the rest of the park open so that they can afford to shut EE down to do the work...

Though, I've argued that the park stayed open without Everest for a pretty good stretch and still made some profit...but hey...it would be pretty much a Matterhorn-style re-do on steroids...

Sped2424

Status update, yeti is still down, eagle still down. The ride still has a drop in it and goes backwards. There is also a projection effect that is still up and running. Glad this thread as stickied here so I could report this!

JohnD

Yep. Rode it three times Monday. I noticed the Yeti in strobe. Since my first ride EVER was 9/30, I don't know what to look for that's different.

Tom Morrow

From what I've heard the bird is permanently removed and will never come back, I could be wrong though.

It was such a bad and minor effect though that it doesn't even matter IMO.

HakunaMatata89

you would think, this far along they would just come out and make it publicly known they have no plan/goal to ever fix the yeti.

im sure some people would appreciate that for closure purposes.

G00fyDad

you would think, this far along they would just come out and make it publicly known they have no plan/goal to ever fix the yeti.

im sure some people would appreciate that for closure purposes.

I think its a foregone conclusion by now. Believe it or not, the fact that the Yeti once moved is known only to a select few. Regardless of what Modern Marvels shows people just don't know that it ever really jumped out and swung an arm. Disney is not going to announce that the Yeti will never be fixed if most people don't know that its broke.

Ralphlaw

My wife and son had lunch with an Imagineer a year ago, and indeed he said they are waiting for Avatarland to open before shutting down EE to fix the yeti. The sub-structure for the Yeti wasn't built strongly enough. Apparently it would be a major overhaul to repair this.

My opinion, the engineering was slipshod overall. With all the effects that are missing, it was either poorly engineered or done with Kmart parts. Good engineers build things right. Very good engineers build things that work, but build in redundancies in case something goes wrong. Truly great engineers build things that work with the redundancies AND are easily fixable if something still goes wrong. What we have is an attraction with lots of sizzle but such poor engineering that redundancies weren't built in and the fixes are undoable without a major overhaul.

My Dad would never buy a car that required you to remove the air cleaner and carburetor just to check the spark plugs. That's because, no matter how good the car is, eventually the spark plugs will need replacing. Sadly, that's what they built with EE. A cutting edge multi-multi million dollar audio animatronic with no way to fix it.

RunnerFool

I'm sure most people don't know he's supposed to move. It's kind of like in acting how they say "if you mess up, nobody will know!"
They just expect nobody to know..

Ralphlaw

I'm sure most people don't know he's supposed to move. It's kind of like in acting how they say "if you mess up, nobody will know!"
They just expect nobody to know..

I must respectfully disagree. I have seen mediocre stage performances with mistakes, and then talked to the performers afterward. Once they tell me how much better it is with the right lines, I can see why I was originally underwhelmed.

People like EE right now, but imagine how much more they'd love it if the Yeti still worked. Would they ride it more often? Would they stay overnight to spend more time at Animal Kingdom? Would they stay 5 days at the resort instead of 4? Would they arrive earlier to ride multiple times, and then pay for more food at the park because they didn't grab breakfast beforehand? And, would more merch of yeti stuff sell in the giftshop if the Yeti was truly amazing?

A mediocre Yeti hurts in ways that are perhaps hard to pin down, yet it hurts. The preshow is all about the Yeti, with footprints and artwork to get you in the mood to be scared. Yes, scared, not discoed. That's why they don't have footage of John Travolta and Saturday Night Fever in the preshow. They preshow the yeti bigtime, and you don't even see it. The whole ride is built to climax to the Yeti, and millions of dollars were spent to make it happen. Without a fully functioning Yeti, EE is not a 10, but more of an 8 or 9. I've seen it both ways, and the overall experience is 10% to 20% better with the Yeti, just like a live performance is measurably better with actors who nail their lines instead of flubbing through them.

Bairstow

I haven't seen him moving since that old Modern Marvels episode.

yet here he is, moving just fine on an official video from 2009, 3 years after it went into permanent B-mode.

Now that I think about it, has there ever been an official company acknowledgement that the robot is broken?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom