Expedition Everest effects status watch

G00fyDad

yet here he is, moving just fine on an official video from 2009, 3 years after it went into permanent B-mode.

Now that I think about it, has there ever been an official company acknowledgement that the robot is broken?

I never said a video doesn't exist other than the modern marvels one. I just simply said I haven't seen him moving in a video since that episode.

I saw the yeti in all it's glory some years ago, and it was fantastic. I don't understand why Disney wouldn't take the time to fix it. Don't they want it to work like it's supposed to after they shelled out all that $$$ for it? If that is why, then wouldn't the profit from it outweigh the cost of fixing it?

I'm sorry, I'm just particularly frustrated about the Yeti today and I'm ranting a bit :/

Bairstow

I saw the yeti in all it's glory some years ago, and it was fantastic. I don't understand why Disney wouldn't take the time to fix it. Don't they want it to work like it's supposed to after they shelled out all that $$$ for it? If that is why, then wouldn't the profit from it outweigh the cost of fixing it?

I'm sorry, I'm just particularly frustrated about the Yeti today and I'm ranting a bit :/

I don't think it's cost.
It's the lack of major rides/attractions at Animal Kingdom. There's really only 4, so taking any one of them offline, let alone the newest one, for a multi-month refurbishment would be a guest-relations disaster.

Ralphlaw

No official acknowledgment has ever come down as far as I know. And, yes, it would take a multi-month closure to bring it back. The Yeti foundation was not built strong enough. Again, poor engineering, and poor engineering compounded by the fact that there's no way to fix it easily. No way to pipe in more concrete, or drive more footings, or install extra braces. Wiser designers would have said:

"Gee, this thing is cutting edge. Ya know, maybe we should make it easier for upgrades in case we're not as smart as we think we are."

Nope, humility thrown out the window, and a sad yeti discos, an inconsolable Joe Rhode cries in his beer, and the park's crowning jewel draws "Huh's?" instead of "Aaaaaaaaah's!!!"

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

But at this point we all know that it isn't that its too hard to fix, its that they don't want to shut down the park's biggest (and one of the only) draws to do it, right?

BiffyClyro

But at this point we all know that it isn't that its too hard to fix, its that they don't want to shut down the park's biggest (and one of the only) draws to do it, right?
Yeah I kind of agree, it's just so disappointing that it doesn't work because it made the ride so much better.

It's such a shame as well, because it NEVER really consistently worked. They had this problem since opening, it's not like it was ware and tear. They surely must have known it was unreliable when they put it in.

G00fyDad

I was told once that it is not the concrete that is the problem. The problem was in the sled that the Yeti was pushed out on. It was breaking, and not the concrete. To fix it would take too long for Disney to shut down one of the E-Tickets in AK. My theory is that they will eventually fix the yeti, but only after they open Avatarland to give the guests somewhere else to spend time in AK.

Me too. It was amazing.

Bairstow

That doesn't mean the footage of the Yeti was from 2009

True, but it's still a little sneaky of Disney to continue to use that old footage of the yeti taken when it was in working order when they knew full well that it was broken, had been broken for 3 years, and wasn't scheduled to be repaired for several more years. Any guest watching this ad and who was unfamiliar with the situation would probably assume Disney wasn't using intentionally-outdated footage and that the attractions shown were working as advertised, so it was less than fully honest on Disney's part.

George

Liker of Things
I hope there are plans to eventually fix the Yeti, but I find the waiting for Avland rumor hard to believe. We'd be talking about a decade of down time!

Ralphlaw

What's amazing to me is that the strobe disco light is the best they can do. Yeah, the Yeti is broken and won't be fixed anytime soon. So what happened at the meeting:

Joe Rhode: What should we do about my broken Yeti?
Idiot #1: I know, let's put a disco light on it.
Joe Rhode: That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.
Imagineer: Maybe we could do some clever lighting, wind and sound effects to give it the appearance of moving.
Idiot #2: No, I agree with Idiot #1, let's put a disco light on it.
Beancounter: What's the cheapest thing to do?
Everyone: DISCO LIGHT.
Beancounter: Motion carried. Go to Ace Hardware for the disco equipment. Here's $20. Bring back the change.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I think the strobe light "B mode" was installed prior to Everest opening. Of course, that was assuming it would be used sparingly. It is baffling that they couldn't at least install some better lighting effects at this point.

SJN1279

Everest needs a killer soundtrack as much or more than a functioning Yeti. They should shut the mountain down, and add both to make it the attraction it could be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom