Expedition Everest effects status watch

HolleBolleGijs

Forgive me if this had been said already, but I don't really feel like going back and rereading nearly 80 pages worth of posts.

I can't find any information about the structure of the Yeti and how it was built into the mountain, but this is what a Disney aficionado told me. So this may or may not be true.

The Yeti, the mountain, and the track are three completely separate structures, and in order to access the yeti to fix him, they would have to dismantle sections of the tracks and the mountain. Plus, he's difficult to fix, simply due to the sheer weight of him and the force he exerts when he moves, which was the root of the issue in the first place.

Bottom line is, a repair like this would probably take quite a while, and would be very costly. And when you consider the lack of other exciting attractions in the park, I'm sure AK attendance would drop drastically if EE were closed for an extended period of time.

However, I could totally see a repair happening after the Avatar stuff is completed, since then closing EE won't be as big a deal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Forgive me if this had been said already, but I don't really feel like going back and rereading nearly 80 pages worth of posts.

I can't find any information about the structure of the Yeti and how it was built into the mountain, but this is what a Disney aficionado told me. So this may or may not be true.

The Yeti, the mountain, and the track are three completely separate structures, and in order to access the yeti to fix him, they would have to dismantle sections of the tracks and the mountain. Plus, he's difficult to fix, simply due to the sheer weight of him and the force he exerts when he moves, which was the root of the issue in the first place.

Bottom line is, a repair like this would probably take quite a while, and would be very costly. And when you consider the lack of other exciting attractions in the park, I'm sure AK attendance would drop drastically if EE were closed for an extended period of time.

However, I could totally see a repair happening after the Avatar stuff is completed, since then closing EE won't be as big a deal.
From what I understand the actually Yeti himself was installed after the mountain and track were up. Removing him would not be easy, but far from impossible.

What I am unsure of is what he is mounted to. While every bit of info we have states that the mountain, track and Yeti support do not touch each other there is a very good possibility that are intertwined together.

The real rub is Disney has never officially confirmed what is wrong with him. Some say it is the foundation while others point to the animatronic itself. Without that information, any speculation on how hard or how long would be guessing.

Ralphlaw

I imagine if Disney ever officially said there was a structural problem, some panicky people would stay away out of ridiculous fear. The way to keep attendance up is to say nothing, but then have a puzzling disco nothing at the climax of the ride. Again, why can't some better band aid be slapped on?

HolleBolleGijs

From what I understand the actually Yeti himself was installed after the mountain and track were up. Removing him would not be easy, but far from impossible.

What I am unsure of is what he is mounted to. While every bit of info we have states that the mountain, track and Yeti support do not touch each other there is a very good possibility that are intertwined together.

The real rub is Disney has never officially confirmed what is wrong with him. Some say it is the foundation while others point to the animatronic itself. Without that information, any speculation on how hard or how long would be guessing.

Point taken. Whatever's wrong him certainly isn't a quick fix, though, and I still think it would still be stupid for them to close one of the biggest draws of the park for an extended period of time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Point taken. Whatever's wrong him certainly isn't a quick fix, though, and I still think it would still be stupid for them to close one of the biggest draws of the park for an extended period of time.
I see both sides.

From a parks ops standpoint, closing E:E would be a disaster. While I have no problem going to AK and spending an entire day there without going on a single ride, I know that I am in the minority. Closing E:E for 2, 3, 6 months would drive attendance to the basement and generate a mountain of complaints at guest services. When I look at it with my business brain, I see "Wait until after the next expansion"

On the other hand, Disney is suppose to be better than the rest when it comes to quality. The yeti being static is a huge minus to the attraction. IMHO it is the equivalent of RbRC with no music. This makes the Disney side of my brain scream "Bite the bullet and make it right".

HolleBolleGijs

I see both sides.

From a parks ops standpoint, closing E:E would be a disaster. While I have no problem going to AK and spending an entire day there without going on a single ride, I know that I am in the minority. Closing E:E for 2, 3, 6 months would drive attendance to the basement and generate a mountain of complaints at guest services. When I look at it with my business brain, I see "Wait until after the next expansion"

On the other hand, Disney is suppose to be better than the rest when it comes to quality. The yeti being static is a huge minus to the attraction. IMHO it is the equivalent of RbRC with no music. This makes the Disney side of my brain scream "Bite the bullet and make it right".

I completely understand both sides of the argument. I just feel like it would be smarter from a business perspective to wait. I personally think Disco Yeti is a good alternative; it's not like we're talking about TSMM without functioning games or Soarin' without the motion simulation. Even though it might have been intended as something of a quick fix, I think it works just fine as an alternative. That's of course just my opinion.

Ralphlaw

Because a fix isn't coming soon, I think Disney should bite the bullet and make a better band aid than $20 disco lights. I'm surprised they can't do some better lighting, wind effects, and a growl for goodness sake. After seeing the awesome lighting effects on the castle for the "Magic, Memories and You" show, how can they leave disco yeti as a highlight of their biggest new ride in a decade? That's like leaving port-a-potties in one park while the other parks all have real bathrooms.

jbeechuk

I rode it a few days ago. You go by the Yeti so fast, with the strobe lighting.....seems like he is moving anyway. I don't know. 79 pages over this.

G00fyDad

Yes, yes it does...at least to me. It's not like the cars stop in there for 30 seconds.

No. No it doesn't... at least to everyone else. It looks like a strobe light on a statue. And as @unkadug stated, your response is precisely why they will never fix anything. "It looks okay to me." Don't get me wrong, I am part of the problem myself. I love to go to WDW and I continue to go to WDW instead of boycotting to show them that they are doing something wrong in their parks. I know that there is a great deal wrong with the parks and that TDO needs to get their s**t together and fix it all. However, if we (my family) stop going it will not even register to TDO's wallet. If I knew for a fact that many, many others would stop going in order to send a wake up call to TDO then I would stop going myself. But that isn't going to happen, and TDO knows it. So, I figure that I will continue to go until it gets bad enough for my family to decide that it is not worth the money any longer (getting close right now) and we stop going then. That, or hopefully TDO starts doing their job and skips a strobe light in lieu of real future fixes.

Ralphlaw

I think disco yeti is just confusing. You can't really see it, and I would hazard to guess that many riders don't even know that it's a giant monster in that disco room. Seriously three lights that flash in lateral sequence, with a growl and a gust of wind on the fur, could give a far superior appearance of movement of something huge and scary.

Quite seriously, if Disney paid me $20,000. I could hire a few electricians and make it happen, I guarantee it. Working at night. And still make a healthy profit. Disney could make it even better than that without re-inventing the wheel. Just look at the lighting in "Magic, Memories and You." Feel the air jets that feel like bugs in the "It's tough to be a bug" show. Note the air gusts from the "Philharmagic" show when the champagne corks are popping. And think of the freaky room with the star effects in "Buzz Lightyear,"

The tech already exists. It should be easy to install. But they don't do it. Not to ride the old cliché', but there's absolutely no way that Walt would allow disco yeti to be the centerpiece of his park. I fear that an uninspired bureaucracy with an ingrained "can't do" attitude is stifling the spirits who would gladly jump in and get something better installed right now. What, are they waiting for the permits?

With true seriousness, I could put something better in place for $20,000, and my skills as a delegator do not even include any carpentry or electrical certifications. Yet I know plenty of great tradesmen who, if given the guidance and green light, could easily enhance the experience to be something far better than the anticlimactic hack job they have on their hands right now.

Mouse_Trap

I saw a Discovery channel programme on the park a few months ago, this featured quite a long section on EE and definitely talked about the three different structure - I think it was one of the imagineers talking about how they built it. I can't remember thought if they showed a shot of the Yeti moving, certainly nothing about the effect being long broken.....

I too wish it was something they would fix, however the vast majority of rides are never going to be aware of what should happen and even if they have ridden years earlier will probably thinks its bad memory.

reptar77

We are just back. Disco Yeti still in effect. It is interesting that the updated in room TV channel that has the Must do's shows a working Yeti. LIARS!!!

RedtoGray

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but on the Disney Christmas Day Parade there was a promo for Animal Kingdom where they showed a fully functional Yeti. Is this a sign or just false advertising? Maybe 2014 will be the Year of the Yeti.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed but on the Disney Christmas Day Parade there was a promo for Animal Kingdom where they showed a fully functional Yeti. Is this a sign or just false advertising? Maybe 2014 will be the Year of the Yeti.
At least they used footage from the right coast.

Nearly 7 years now.

dodoriazarbon

I'm just back from my first visit to the parks in 6 years and I did Everest the once back in 07 so can't remember it - but I did it twice this trip, and the to be honest, the Yeti doesn't bother me at all, despite hearing a lot about the fact is doesn't move. The lighting and speed at which you go by means you aren't exactly sat staring at a motionless figure. Many people probably have their eyes closed anyway! That said I don't know if what it used to be like was some fantastic thing or not. I personally see more places across the parks to throw money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom