Expedition Everest effects status watch

Goofy6294

Sorry if this has already been posted, I haven't read the entire thread.

I remember a WDWToday podcast a while back where Mike Scopa said he was provided with an explanation that the structure supporting the Yeti was found to be insufficient due to the amount of movement of the AA and the fact that its completed weight was more than estimated in the plans. To fix this would require dismantling part of the mountain to replace existing footings with larger ones. I tried finding which episode this was but didn't have any luck.

Anybody else remember this or was I dreaming?

Sorry if this has already been posted, I haven't read the entire thread.

I remember a WDWToday podcast a while back where Mike Scopa said he was provided with an explanation that the structure supporting the Yeti was found to be insufficient due to the amount of movement of the AA and the fact that its completed weight was more than estimated in the plans. To fix this would require dismantling part of the mountain to replace existing footings with larger ones. I tried finding which episode this was but didn't have any luck.

Anybody else remember this or was I dreaming?

I actually remember reading something along those lines a couple of years ago.

elfshadowreaper

There's the structural stability speculation and there's also a lubrication issue theory. I'm not sure if anyone has gone on record declaring the problem to be one thing or another. We just know they aren't really motivated to fix it yet.

fractal

My "Yeti report" from our trip last week.

We went to AK on three different occasions and I rode EE a total of 9 times.

The first 2 days both of the waterfalls were working. On the third day, only waterfall #1 was working. No "bird on the stick" at any time.

The Yeti -

Much improved over the last trip in 2009. In 2009 the Yeti seemed to be just standing there and the lighting was just enough to see his face for a split second - if you knew where to look at precisely the right time.

Last week was a much better "show" ( but nowhere near A mode ).

As you enter the last "tunnel" and look to you upper right, you immediately see a glimpse of the Yeti through a flash of light. Then all go dark again until you are almost at the Yeti - another flash of light and now you see the Yeti leaned over, arm extended and mouth open. The fans do give the sense of motion as his hair is moving. You hear the roar and see the open mouth, which also adds to the illusion of motion.

Again - not close to A-mode but a vast improvement over the last trip in 2009. The thing that concerns me is that it may be a good enough improvement to avoid a complete fix. As I overhead the reaction of "first-timers" it was alot of; "wow, cool", "did you see the Yeti at the end?" "that was awesome".

Still a fun ride but nowhere near its potential.

mbroschak

The first EE train in 2006

I was fortunate enough to be on the very first train of EE in Jan 2006 for the public (there had been cast member previews prior to this) where I got a pic with "Big" Al Weiss (any of you that have been to Castaway Key will get the "Big" part) and was in the middle section of the very fist train to pull out of the station on the very first day of soft opening. I got to see the Yeti several times that day in its full glory and will never forget it and it makes me sad that they can't bring it back.
What's the latest box office total for Cars 2? $503,000,000 and they can't fix the yeti? I've only got one thing to say, f**k all the shareholders who could care less about magic, the incredible talent at Disney that brings us escapism and a utopia that all of us spend thousands of our hard earned dollars every year trying to get a personal taste of.
I say thank you to people like John Lasseter and Joe Rhode amongst several others who keep Walt's dream alive. Without these amazing people, I can guarantee that the Disney parks would be nothing more than a glorified version of the amusement parks Walt used to take his daughters to when he was thinking up Disneyland...

awilliams4

I am also one that is very disappointed with the current state and the length of the current state of the Yeti.

However, I believe that it will be fixed. I suspect however it will be several years and it will require an expansion at AK 1st and then a long overdue scheduled rehab of EE.

Mansion Butler

My last trip to DAK I spent a lot of time on EE, and encountered something that I found fascinating: a lot of guests seem to actually enjoy the "wait, did I see that or not?" aspect of the disco yeti.

I'm talking several different guests all talking about it, happily. I'm sure they'd think otherwise had they seen it in its original glory, but I think outside of us most people are fine with the state of EE, or in fact actually like that it prompts them to get off the ride and tell their family they saw it, while the family looks at them like they're crazy.

Mansion Butler

Hey guys, guess what!

Both waterfalls are working today. Oooooooohh!

Also, I'm pretty sure the Yeti is in a different position from a couple weeks ago, but I wouldn't swear by it.

Kramerica

Wow, I didn't even know the yeti wasn't working at full capacity until reading this thread. I would think that disney would be on this ASAP. But then again, the last few years I've been to Disney everyy time I ride test track, after the abs test right before the ice chamber the display sHowing a replay of what you just did has had the "no input connected" error showing. You'd think this would be a very easy fix and it's been there for years.

BlackCauldron

Rode last week and the yeti was in "where did he go" mode. There were stobes and fans . . . . and no yeti. Thought I blinked and missed him so I rode again - three more time in a row in fact - no yeti. Looked like a shadow behind a dark tarp.

JustInTime

Rode last week 4 times.

No steam.
No Bird.
Only 1 waterfall was on.
Yeti is most definitely changing poses from time to time. But he was there.

Fable McCloud

What is it about EE that has so many problems?

I feel as if we don't normally notice these minor things on the other attractions (well, I do on HM but that's just me).

Why is it that EE is never fully operational?

Skipper Dan

Just a theory...

Okay y'all, hear me out. I just thought about this.

It's proven in the past, that every time Rohde visits DAK, the turn the Yeti on... right? Okay, if he is more than likely going to be spending a lot of time at DAK for the next few years, what does this mean? Is he even aware that the Yeti's malfunctioned? If not, then what will they do? 'Oh yeah, Joe... um, by the way, the Yeti's been broken since about, pretty much 2006. But don't worry! We got it covered. You've got to see the strobes!' Something tells me that wouldn't go down very well. So anyway, if he isn't aware of the problems, and he finds out - although I've always figured he knows - will he attempt to get it fixed? Or find a fix? Give Everest some attention while he's there?

Thoughts? :cool:

thelookingglass

I'm sorry but why is this thread still stickied? The yeti is obviously not going to be fixed anytime soon, and every other effect is intermittent. So, who cares??? You could make one of these threads for every single ride because they all have intermittent problems right now.

Skipper Dan

I'm sorry but why is this thread still stickied? The yeti is obviously not going to be fixed anytime soon, and every other effect is intermittent. So, who cares??? You could make one of these threads for every single ride because they all have intermittent problems right now.

Um, did you even read my post? :lookaroun

Disaddict

Okay y'all, hear me out. I just thought about this.

It's proven in the past, that every time Rohde visits DAK, the turn the Yeti on... right? Okay, if he is more than likely going to be spending a lot of time at DAK for the next few years, what does this mean? Is he even aware that the Yeti's malfunctioned? If not, then what will they do? 'Oh yeah, Joe... um, by the way, the Yeti's been broken since about, pretty much 2006. But don't worry! We got it covered. You've got to see the strobes!' Something tells me that wouldn't go down very well. So anyway, if he isn't aware of the problems, and he finds out - although I've always figured he knows - will he attempt to get it fixed? Or find a fix? Give Everest some attention while he's there?

Thoughts? :cool:

I think he is a well educated man and he knows that the Yeti is down. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the man that is most responsible for the existence of AK doesn't know that the Yeti is broken. LOL :ROFLOL: Let me tell you what, with all of the griping done here on this board alone (not to mention all of the other forums) I think that would be enough for him to notice. ;) I notice when I walk into my office at home or at work and find a pencil that has been moved on my desk. And I'm not that observant. LOL I love the idea though that there are teams of people talking in hushed tones when Mr. Rhode is on his way to the park "Yeah, Yeah. Code Rhode! Code Rhode! Rhode's on his way! Light the big guy up!" and then "Yeah, Mr. Rhode has left the building! Cancel Code Rhode!" LOL

Folks, the Yeti isn't going to be fixed anytime soon. They would have to dismantle a ton of the mountain to get him out and then fix him. Then once they put him back in they would have to pray he never broke again and fell on a guest. He was breaking his moorings. Could you imagine if he broke fully free and landed on a moving coaster?

Skipper Dan

I think he is a well educated man and he knows that the Yeti is down. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the man that is most responsible for the existence of AK doesn't know that the Yeti is broken. LOL :ROFLOL: Let me tell you what, with all of the griping done here on this board alone (not to mention all of the other forums) I think that would be enough for him to notice. ;) I notice when I walk into my office at home or at work and find a pencil that has been moved on my desk. And I'm not that observant. LOL I love the idea though that there are teams of people talking in hushed tones when Mr. Rhode is on his way to the park "Yeah, Yeah. Code Rhode! Code Rhode! Rhode's on his way! Light the big guy up!" and then "Yeah, Mr. Rhode has left the building! Cancel Code Rhode!" LOL

Folks, the Yeti isn't going to be fixed anytime soon. They would have to dismantle a ton of the mountain to get him out and then fix him. Then once they put him back in they would have to pray he never broke again and fell on a guest. He was breaking his moorings. Could you imagine if he broke fully free and landed on a moving coaster?

So snarky. :animwink:

But I think WDI is full of intelligent people, intelligent enough to know not to build a permanent structure to where they would have to inconveniently dismantle a section of it to fix an Audio Animatronic. :wave:

Disaddict

So snarky.

Just a bit. Thanks for noticing. I do try. ;)

But I think WDI is full of intelligent people, intelligent enough to know not to build a permanent structure to where they would have to inconveniently dismantle a section of it to fix an Audio Animatronic. :wave:

Okay. Your idea says that a man is so stupid that he cannot even tell when his minimum wage CM are trying to pull a good ol' fast one on him. And I am saying that, yes, even the most intelligent people in the world might not have seen that a audio animatronic would break causing them this much headache. And furthermore, if in the future it did break then poor little billy might have to use his imagination. At least the Yeti is still there and not completely removed with nothing but a yell in his place.

Let's face it. If they actually found a real Yeti and put it in the attraction chained up then people would still gripe that they could see the chains. :rolleyes:

Disaddict

lol, it isn't my 'idea'! I read all of what I said on here, over time! I gathered my hypothesis. :cool:

Then I apologize. I thought that was something you came up with. From what I can tell about Rhodes is he is a smart and albeit eccentric man but no ones fool. He looks like the type of man that would cut you with a bone knife if you tried to play him. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom