Expedition Everest effects status watch

schwartziel

Talked to a CM at the EE line during my trip at the end of last month. He pretty much said what everyone else has already said but I will restate it anyway - The force to get the yeti to move is the same amount of force as a boeing jet taking off. He flat out said that maintenance didnt do its job and there is now a 2 inch rip (in the foundation). He said that to fix it would mean shutting down the ride for an extended period of time and they are scared to shut down the ride in fear of what it may do to attendance in the park. He then said that they are planning on it being a slow, long process to get everything back to normal. He did say though that (good news!) they hoped to return some motion to the head and arms in a years time. He then told me I actually came at a good time because in June the yeti just had a light on him and looked weird stationary and they had a strobe light going on him in July which is alot better. When then went on to talk about how amazing A mode is and how upset we were that the yeti isnt getting fixed. But like he told me - many people dont even know the yeti is in B mode so disney is not worried about fixing him quickly.

PhilharMagician

Talked to a CM at the EE line during my trip at the end of last month. He pretty much said what everyone else has already said but I will restate it anyway - The force to get the yeti to move is the same amount of force as a boeing jet taking off. He flat out said that maintenance didnt do its job and there is now a 2 inch rip (in the foundation). He said that to fix it would mean shutting down the ride for an extended period of time and they are scared to shut down the ride in fear of what it may do to attendance in the park. He then said that they are planning on it being a slow, long process to get everything back to normal. He did say though that (good news!) they hoped to return some motion to the head and arms in a years time. He then told me I actually came at a good time because in June the yeti just had a light on him and looked weird stationary and they had a strobe light going on him in July which is alot better. When then went on to talk about how amazing A mode is and how upset we were that the yeti isnt getting fixed. But like he told me - many people dont even know the yeti is in B mode so disney is not worried about fixing him quickly.

As I have said many times before. PLEASE STOP AT GUEST RELATIONS ON YOUR WAY OUT EVERY TIME YOU ARE AT AK AND LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH THE YETI BEING BROKEN!!

I truely believe that Disney has had complaints few and far between on the yeti. It has been having problems for 2 years and many people have never even seen it operate in "A" mode to complain about.

SeaCastle

Today (8/13), no biird, static Yeti. Some steam at load. A prominent waterfall was working, but the area by the track was wet, and a Disney Parks maiintenance CM was standing nearby.

No flames by Kali logger area, but Kilimanjaro Safaris had all of the misters and water features by the springs working.

Phineas

I was there 8/10. The bird was there, no mist, and no waterfall. And of course, the yeti was paralyzed. I count myself lucky to have seen it operate properly. Others have made passing comparisons to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and said that Disney needs to consistently "plus" their attractions. And while Disney will forever be my theme park of choice, I can't help but agree that Harry Potter is a direct competitor when it comes to malfunctioning features of certain Disney attractions, most notably EE. But again, if one were to compare other areas of Universal to Harry Potter, they'd see that Universal has pretty much let things age without much maintaining or updating them accordingly. It's just so un-Disney to let these issues go unfixed.

elfshadowreaper

On 8/17 the waterfall on the main incline was working. I only saw that waterfall, so I'm not sure about the other. The bird worked a little. He just popped up and went back down as the train approached the broken track. Yeti was strobed and not moving. Still never seen him in his A mode glory.

citizen85

Perhaps a good way to bring some attention to this bane on everyone's existence would be for someone to add a section regarding the malfunctioning Yeti and other effects to the Expedition Everest Wikipedia page. Will it change the world? Nope. But it might be worth the five or ten minutes it would take.

NutsForFlorida

This sucks. I've never been on this ride. So, when I go in November to ride it for the very first time, I'm going to get some "B"ogus Mode. I hope it's still worth riding in "B"ogus Mode.

mp2bill

This sucks. I've never been on this ride. So, when I go in November to ride it for the very first time, I'm going to get some "B"ogus Mode. I hope it's still worth riding in "B"ogus Mode.

Yeah, especially if you've never been on it before, you won't know what you're missing.

KaneMarko

It's still well worth it to ride EE even with the yeti in "B"ogus mode. However, when that thing was working it was truly a spectacle to see. Here's hoping one day that the yeti gets fixed.

Batphobic

when I was there in Dec '09 the light flashed on the yeti so quick as we were zooming by I was left saying, "um... I think I saw it..." I took a video and you can't make him out in the video at all.

It's still well worth it to ride EE even with the yeti in "B"ogus mode. However, when that thing was working it was truly a spectacle to see. Here's hoping one day that the yeti gets fixed.

I'd love to see EVERYTHING on that ride get fixed! I remember the fog screen, the owl, and, of course, the amazing Yeti... it's really a shame that even the "simple" effects (the fog and owl) aren't running most of the time. I understand why they might have to hold off on the Yeti (being a massive, amazing piece of work) but a fog screen? :confused: The owl going up and down? :confused:

It's a shame, really.

Spike-in-Berlin

I'd love to see EVERYTHING on that ride get fixed! I remember the fog screen, the owl, and, of course, the amazing Yeti... it's really a shame that even the "simple" effects (the fog and owl) aren't running most of the time. I understand why they might have to hold off on the Yeti (being a massive, amazing piece of work) but a fog screen? :confused: The owl going up and down? :confused:
It's a shame, really.

Yep. And don't forget about the cloud effect, that's also gone for some time already. I never saw EE with all effects working. When I did EE between August 28th and September 5th I saw the bird at the broken tracks and one waterfall was running- Yeti was in strobe-light mode (Disco Yeti), no movement at all and there was no mist in the ice caves at all.

R W B

When I went to WDW in Feb of '06 EE wasn't fully operating yet. That trip we were there from Sun-Fri and EE was only open Wed and Fri. My nephew and I ended up riding it 4 times on that Fri and it was alot of fun, a very good ride. This past July when my girlfriend and I went and rode it I noticed it did not seem as intense, didn't get the same feeling. Now I know why. I hope they find the time to fix it and get it right.

daviddwilson

On my spring break trip one of the waterfall was barely working.
The steam from the train and plastic bird seem to work every other, or every few rides for me. As for the waterfall, I can only remember seeing it running ONCE...and that was for the Annual Pass Preview in January 2006. Same goes for the cold mist in the cave before you reach the broken track. Where the heck did that cold mist go!? The only time it worked was for the COLD January morning of the Annual Pass Preview! I want it on the humid, stale, EVIL HOT Florida summer days

me_stitch

Premium Member
I go back in Sept. '11 so I'm hoping by then it will be fixed. I was there in '08 and everything seemed to be working then.

Expedition Everest Update

Sad. A great concept of a great ride and now it has been a shell of what it was is just plain sad. When will this ride be up to it's old shining standard? Not good PR.

Fable McCloud

I've tried to catch up on things but I'm still lost. I went to WDW in October 2008 and the Yeti was (if I remember correctly) a projected image, but I think the actual figure of the Yeti was still in the ride somewhere.

So I'm going to WDW in late Feb/early March...what am I going to see on Expedition Everest? A projection, or the animatronic figure?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom