Expedition Everest effects status watch

enoe01

I am heading to WDW this weekend for a quick trip. I will try t slide into AK and check the status of the Yeti. I will be sending update to my twitter account.:sohappy:

natatomic

There were lights on not just the strobe. He swooped His arm also.

While you are correct on the lighting (I mentioned a couple of pages back that they are currently using A-mode lighting) I have to think that you possibly imagined the arm swooping because the Yeti is pretty much permanently in B2 mode for the time being and has been for quite some time. :)

stevieg639

Did anyone else see this? I'd be very interested to know what the Yeti is up to today if anyone has been on since the above post.

As of May 17, 2010, the lighting is different with more than just the strobes however there was no arm swooping. The steam was present and I did see the bird but no yeti movement. Still a great coaster but the Yeti and extra effects make it a truly unique experience that we expect from Disney.

PurpleRose

I was there on the 10th. The bird on the stick was working. The lights were on the Yeti, no strobe. He was motionless. My husband even missed him. No mist or waterfall either.

IWant2GoNow

Not perfect but at least it's a start. From Screamscape:

"
icon_STOP.gif
Park News - (5/21/10) Big news sent our way from Animal Kingdom by way of tree mail… it seems starting today riders on Expedition Everest will encounter something other than a Yeti at the finale. They’re encounter a large screen cover set up to block all view of the Yeti figure. Despite the fact that Memorial Day Weekend is coming soon, apparently this screen will be up in place until around mid-June while they attempt a minor rehab of the Yeti figure.
I’m told that the plan is to try and restore some movement to the arm and head as a sort of half-way fix to restore it to closed to the full blown “A” show mode that hasn’t been seen in months. Apparently the only way the Yeti will ever get restored to full operational status is whenever the time comes to close down the ride complete for an extensive rehab that could take up to 6 months. Obviously WDW management has been in no hurry to do such a thing as the impact on the park would be huge."

KaneMarko

Thank goodness! We are going down to the World in December and it'll be great to see the yeti somewhat working (assuming he isn't broke again by then). Haven't seen him work since 06.

disneysroyal411

Not perfect but at least it's a start. From Screamscape:

"
icon_STOP.gif
Park News - (5/21/10) Big news sent our way from Animal Kingdom by way of tree mail… it seems starting today riders on Expedition Everest will encounter something other than a Yeti at the finale. They’re encounter a large screen cover set up to block all view of the Yeti figure. Despite the fact that Memorial Day Weekend is coming soon, apparently this screen will be up in place until around mid-June while they attempt a minor rehab of the Yeti figure.
I’m told that the plan is to try and restore some movement to the arm and head as a sort of half-way fix to restore it to closed to the full blown “A” show mode that hasn’t been seen in months. Apparently the only way the Yeti will ever get restored to full operational status is whenever the time comes to close down the ride complete for an extensive rehab that could take up to 6 months. Obviously WDW management has been in no hurry to do such a thing as the impact on the park would be huge."
Was just about to post this, lol. I know it's great, their might be movement when I'm there!!! So excited, I'll be there in July, report to you guys about after the 10th of then(that's when we drive back, yes drive, we like it)

IWant2GoNow

From screamscape.com, Lance has reported that the "screen" that was to be put in was an overnight trial run to see what it would look like. The Yeti is still very much in B (boring) Mode and the "fix" that was talked about will be for sometime in the "near future".

All in all... I don't like the sounds of it. Stop toying with us and fix the thing already! :fork:

Ralphlaw

I spoke to an EE CM who happened to be visiting another park this weekend, who said that the basic problem is that the foundation beneath the Yeti was not built strong enough. If the Yeti moves, it could eventually cause the Yeti's structure to collapse--onto the coaster. To undertake the work to strengthen the foundation would close the ride for six months. Also said the Yeti can still be fired up, but it takes the energy of a jet engine to get it going.

I am not an engineer, but some strengthening presumably could be done without a drastic shutdown, unless they are talking about driving piles deep underground to provide firmer footing. Basic above ground supports could probably be done without little or no shutdown, so I'm thinking that the problem lies underground.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I had the most horrible flight back to Milwaukee on Airtran on Sunday. Sat in the plane by the gate, in attrocious heat, for about an hour waiting for the pilots. And the flight attendants acted like this was business as usual. I'm surprised Disney Magical Express will still partner with such a lousy airline, but that's another story.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I spoke to an EE CM who happened to be visiting another park this weekend, who said that the basic problem is that the foundation beneath the Yeti was not built strong enough. If the Yeti moves, it could eventually cause the Yeti's structure to collapse--onto the coaster. To undertake the work to strengthen the foundation would close the ride for six months. Also said the Yeti can still be fired up, but it takes the energy of a jet engine to get it going.

I am not an engineer, but some strengthening presumably could be done without a drastic shutdown, unless they are talking about driving piles deep underground to provide firmer footing. Basic above ground supports could probably be done without little or no shutdown, so I'm thinking that the problem lies underground.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I had the most horrible flight back to Milwaukee on Airtran on Sunday. Sat in the plane by the gate, in attrocious heat, for about an hour waiting for the pilots. And the flight attendants acted like this was business as usual. I'm surprised Disney Magical Express will still partner with such a lousy airline, but that's another story.
I am an engineer and if the foundation is under designed then a 6 month shutdown is not beyond the realm of possibilities but there are too many unknown variables to know for sure. Seemingly simple issues become very complicated when you are working inside the confines of an existing structure. Given that the yeti briefly appeared in A mode for a short time after several months of 3rd shift work only to go back to B mode, I think it is safe to assume that the easier fixes have been tried and were not successful.

Ralphlaw

I am an engineer and if the foundation is under designed then a 6 month shutdown is not beyond the realm of possibilities but there are too many unknown variables to know for sure. Seemingly simple issues become very complicated when you are working inside the confines of an existing structure. Given that the yeti briefly appeared in A mode for a short time after several months of 3rd shift work only to go back to B mode, I think it is safe to assume that the easier fixes have been tried and were not successful.

Understood. It's always easier to build it right the first time than to fix a problem later. Joe Rhode must cry in his beer every night.

cheezbat

I pray we see a fix to this soon. I know it's THE big attraction at AK, and downtime would be nightmarish for the park, but the Yeti is such an important part of the attraction. It really is a shame they're having to go through all of this. Too bad it wasn't thought out better during the initial building stages.

I pray we see a fix to this soon. I know it's THE big attraction at AK, and downtime would be nightmarish for the park, but the Yeti is such an important part of the attraction. It really is a shame they're having to go through all of this. Too bad it wasn't thought out better during the initial building stages.

I agree with you, yet look how long Space Mountain was down for their renovations. Granted, MK has a lot more "E" ticket rides than AK does, but AK survived well enough before EE, they should do OK while taking it down to fix all these little things. Again, and I hate to keep drawing comparisons to Harry Potter Land, but looking at the YouTube videos of Hogwarts Castle Queue look simply amazing... Disney better start plussing their stuff back to "Day 1 quality".

Just my 2-cents.

Judy :)

Silentkink

We are leaving for Disney in 15 days and will gladly report back when we ride it. Hopefully it will be working like it was on day 1 when we were able to ride it. Like I said I will report back here when I get back to our Hotel, but right after I get off the ride I will update my twitter to give news on the ride. If you want my twitter is twitter.com/silentkink.

disneysroyal411

I will be on my way to Disney in exactly a week and will be more then glad to post my thoughts on the Yeti and his state. I will also be posting updates from the parks and my thoughts on the rides for the week I am there, the 3-10.
Twitter account in my Signature.

JML42691

Update:

Rode it several times today:

Steam at load, the first waterfall, the bird, and projection were working.

Notable features that are still not working or removed are the second waterfall, fog coming off the top peak (although I believe that that was that one-day thing only), and mist in the summit caves (wish they still had that). The light leaking under the track was also very strong today.

The yeti appeared in what seemed like a new mode to me. The cave was mostly dark, although he was lit up with some theatrical lights (not a ton, a couple of strong red light and some dimly lit warm or amber lights at most) and there were two strobe lights that I noticed. He was repositioned to a more lively look but I did not notice any motion in his arm or body.

With the updated look he is much more noticeable and lively than just a single flashing strobe, but more work needs to be done to him, even if just adding some slight motion, although ideally I'd love to see him back up 100%.

One last note: It seems like they've done a lot of control on the foliage near the ride in the last year, which I don't like, I preferred it in it's more natural looking state. The bamboo at the first bend (right after load before the 1st lift hill) was really thin and the retaining wall and the storage/maintenance building stuck out like a soar thumb.

floridabill

Rode it several times today:

Steam at load, the first waterfall, the bird, and projection were working.

Notable features that are still not working or removed are the second waterfall, fog coming off the top peak (although I believe that that was that one-day thing only), and mist in the summit caves (wish they still had that). The light leaking under the track was also very strong today.

The yeti appeared in what seemed like a new mode to me. The cave was mostly dark, although he was lit up with some theatrical lights (not a ton, a couple of strong red light and some dimly lit warm or amber lights at most) and there were two strobe lights that I noticed. He was repositioned to a more lively look but I did not notice any motion in his arm or body.

With the updated look he is much more noticeable and lively than just a single flashing strobe, but more work needs to be done to him, even if just adding some slight motion, although ideally I'd love to see him back up 100%.

One last note: It seems like they've done a lot of control on the foliage near the ride in the last year, which I don't like, I preferred it in it's more natural looking state. The bamboo at the first bend (right after load before the 1st lift hill) was really thin and the retaining wall and the storage/maintenance building stuck out like a soar thumb.

maybe the foliage was so thin due to the bad winter?:shrug: maybe they had to rip allot out cause I don't remember it ever being thin. animal kingdom isn't suppose to be trimmed and neat.

tink729

I just got back from my trip, and the bird at the end of the track was definitely there, but I did not see the steam or the waterfall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom