Expedition Everest broken track effect removed?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm afraid I don't understand how the track in it's current condition is even a tiny bit scarier then the old track. If the fear is that you would go shooting off the track, wouldn't you have done that anyway, even with the old track in place. Educate me! It all seems the same to me.

And one of the few times that I agree that all affects that were deemed important enough to have in the opening of EE should still be working. The Yeti, I can understand and allow that it is a huge problem and not something that is fixed with crazy glue and string, but, the bird and the tracks need to be back soon. Otherwise they are closing the attraction down one affect at a time. Before you know it, it will be a walk through attraction.

The problem is you are trying to apply logic to the fear. Things like this cause a gut reaction that isn't based in facts.

NormC

So just to clarify. It's good show when you pull up to broken tracks but it's also bad show when you pull up to broken tracks?
No it is bad show to pull up to empty space where the broken tracks were and good show to pull up to the broken tracks placed there by design as part of the story. Missing tracks and broken tracks are not the same here.

Buried20KLeague

The highlighted part, I believe is a big factor in the slowness of repair, if not the forgetting about it completely. But the "sheep" reference that might very well apply in a lot of theme park fans, really isn't applicable to this ride. It is a good ride, with or without the Yeti. Yes, it was planned as a big part of the attraction, but, as it turned out, it wasn't as important as people seem to think. Even in disco mode, it can be seen only for a fraction of a second and the rest of the ride works. That's not a sheep like response, it's a fun ride response. Yes, it probably turns out well for Disney, but apparently only a few give a damn about the hairy beast. The sheep are more the ones that think that it is not worthwhile without their beloved gigantic monkey.

Mmmmmmm... No.

Buried20KLeague

No, I got what you were saying about how the existing attractions would be grandfathered in.

I was just pointing out that when you consider everything that moves in the rolling boulder scene in Indy (including the walls and ceiling, all of which move to create the feeling you're driving backward), I'm sure that it's at least as much weight and movement as the Yeti.

The Yeti has more motion functions and is in more of a cantilevered position than the effects in Indy, but I have a hard time believing that it weighs more than everything in the boulder scene. And considering that literally everything in that scene except the floor is moving (walls, ceiling, Indy AA, rolling boulder, vehicle), I think that there's probably more motion there too. It's just more linear and not as dynamic and flashy

Wait, did I miss something? People at a Disney park were killed by falling overhead set pieces? When did this happen? Seems like it would have been big news, yet I'm drawing a blank here. I'm also surprised that, if this actually happened, they continue daily performances of the Aladdin musical at DCA, with performers on a flying carpet dangling over the audience (which has had non-deadly issues of its own)

It also seems like a great reason to completely refurbish the Imagination ride, since the upside-down house must be a death trap!

This is the event I was thinking about... And now that I looked it up, I had my facts wrong. Multiple injuries, some serious... But no deaths. The Big Thunder death was at DL, not DLP. I had my two BTMRR incidents crossed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...-Paris-injured-Big-Thunder-Mountain-ride.html

But it was after this event that the boulders were turned off at the other BTMRR's... Which proves my point with the lawyers and what happens after these kinds of things... Which is really the point I was making.

I'm not 100% sure, but I STILL don't think boulders move at the BTMRR's, do they? I know the lanterns do, at least at DL... Which are small, and it would make sense because there's little risk of major injury. I also think that's why they've added video effects in the cave, to compensate. It's BTMRR's version of the strobe light and fans.

Between their reaction on the other BTMRR's and the WDW monorail system, I fully believe what I suggested to be the case.

Kman101

I get it's "bad show" but what are they supposed to do, leave that piece to rot, like it probably has been? It's gotta get worked on at some point and we all know they don't rush what they do (with anything but Starbucks, shops and restaurants).

Mouse_Trap

You can't make it out well, but isn't there a maintenance stairway in the part of the show building in the shadows here that leads pretty much right to the silly bird on a stick and the broken tracks? One would hope this makes for a very accessible way to fix the faux broken rails.

View attachment 55582

If you check out the first video, at 1:32 you can see the scaffholding below where the broken track was.

I would assume this is how they accessed it in order to remove it. Perhaps they also used that to reach the bird too.

Not getting the hate for the birdie, I don't recall ever seeing him myself but think he looks pretty cool.
I'm not sure how many birds soar over the peaks of Everest mind, given it's height - I'd have supposed none.

5thGenTexan

I have yet had the opportunity to ride Expedition Everest. I am wondering if the broken track effect is even necessary when EE is totally rethemed in the future. You know... when you are Anna on her journey to the North Mountain to find Elsa? Which also brings up the question, does the Yeti even have to move after its been transformed into Marshmallow, Elsa's snow monster?. ;)

Kman101

I've heard others say the same thing, thinking they saw slight movement. In my couple of visits to WDW last month, haven't been able to get back to AK to ride, so I can't say that I've seen it.

Mike S

I'm starting to wonder, would it be possible for Disney to reprogram it so only the arm and head would move? Or would that also put too much stress on the foundation?

note2001

Hmm maybe I'm not completely strobe struck in the head. It seemed much scarier and appeared to move a little to me. But I only rode once so I can't be sure.

Just a little movement is quite a feat. From the train it's impossible to tell the scale of the yeti, but that Discovery clip that was linked to from here clearly shows that the hand is massive.

... Now if only they'd turn off the dang strobe light. I swear, due to it my brain ticks out on me every time I try to see the yeti. Disney doesn't seem to understand that masking some things only makes them worse.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom