Expedition Everest broken track effect removed?

iheartdisney91

Watching that video I never realized how large the yeti was!
Yes I knew it was quite large but wow!

I also never realized how large the mechanics are behind it all.
Seeing all the work they put into the yeti makes me even more upset that
They have nothing but a lame strobe light on it, and they haven't fixed the problem.

This may seem like a stupid question but did they have to build around the yeti? (Assuming not because I have photos of Everest being built)
Or did they pop him in the ride after it was built? And would they have to take him apart to
Fix?

Buried20KLeague

Um, I can think of one with at least as much size, weight, and movement:
hqdefault.jpg

Not only is there the Indy AA directly above guests, but the large rolling boulder that the cars dip under. Plus all of the walls and ceiling move, in order to make it seem like the vehicle is backing up. Although the Yeti is big and menacing, DL's Indiana Jones has the potential for more to go wrong. I don't believe for a second that this is the result of over-zealous lawyers

You must have missed the last sentence of my post.

And if you think the "boulder" and AA in Indy is anywhere close to as heavy as the yeti or has anywhere near the force of A mode, I've got some land in Flamingo Crossings I'd love to sell you.

But you're right. The same lawyers that have been child-proofing every nook and cranny of the parks probably didn't suggest any corrective action when they had to directly deal with the deaths of multiple people due to overhead set pieces failing. They probably didn't think about other existing potential liabilities that could cause a repeat situation. They probably shrugged their shoulders, said "hey, it happens..." and broke out the checkbook, and probably didn't have any meetings on the topic afterward. I mean, they didn't change a LIST of policies after the monorail accident... Oh wait. They did.

It seems like common sense to me that after something like that, suggestions would be made to limit the liability potential in the future, and other existing risks would be discussed. Especially in this day and age with TWDC. Doesn't seem like a far leap that they would discuss the yeti as one of those potential risks, and how rider counts have been as high as ever with no movement with the yeti, and liability risk removed at the same time. It's a win-win for them. Actually a win-win-WIN, because then they don't have to take it down to repair, or more importantly spend the $$ to repair. By and large, park-goers are sheep... And they know that. They know the average guest doesn't know any better. The risk/reward is absolutely too high.

I would bet $20 that at least a part of why the yeti is in Disco mode is because of fear of the weight and force above that train. Couple that with the speed of the train as it passes that area (which is exponentially higher than Indy or Dino) and the total force increases how many times over? It's physics. If the yeti, or even just a significant part of the yeti (like the arm), were to fall and hit the front of the train, it's a fair assumption that there's a pretty good chance no one is walking away from it.

Goofyernmost

And if you think the "boulder" and AA in Indy is anywhere close to as heavy as the yeti or has anywhere near the force of A mode, I've got some land in Flamingo Crossings I'd love to sell you.

But you're right. The same lawyers that have been child-proofing every nook and cranny of the parks probably didn't suggest any corrective action when they had to directly deal with the deaths of multiple people due to overhead set pieces failing. They probably didn't think about other existing potential liabilities that could cause a repeat situation. They probably shrugged their shoulders, said "hey, it happens..." and broke out the checkbook, and probably didn't have any meetings on the topic afterward. I mean, they didn't change a LIST of policies after the monorail accident... Oh wait. They did.

It seems like common sense to me that after something like that, suggestions would be made to limit the liability potential in the future, and other existing risks would be discussed. Especially in this day and age with TWDC. Doesn't seem like a far leap that they would discuss the yeti as one of those potential risks, and how rider counts have been as high as ever with no movement with the yeti, and liability risk removed at the same time. It's a win-win for them. Actually a win-win-WIN, because then they don't have to take it down to repair, or more importantly spend the $$ to repair. By and large, park-goers are sheep... And they know that. They know the average guest doesn't know any better. The risk/reward is absolutely too high.

I would bet $20 that at least a part of why the yeti is in Disco mode is because of fear of the weight and force above that train. Couple that with the speed of the train as it passes that area (which is exponentially higher than Indy or Dino) and the total force increases how many times over? It's physics. If the yeti, or even just a significant part of the yeti (like the arm), were to fall and hit the front of the train, it's a fair assumption that there's a pretty good chance no one is walking away from it.
The highlighted part, I believe is a big factor in the slowness of repair, if not the forgetting about it completely. But the "sheep" reference that might very well apply in a lot of theme park fans, really isn't applicable to this ride. It is a good ride, with or without the Yeti. Yes, it was planned as a big part of the attraction, but, as it turned out, it wasn't as important as people seem to think. Even in disco mode, it can be seen only for a fraction of a second and the rest of the ride works. That's not a sheep like response, it's a fun ride response. Yes, it probably turns out well for Disney, but apparently only a few give a damn about the hairy beast. The sheep are more the ones that think that it is not worthwhile without their beloved gigantic monkey.

Figment2005

Yes, it is bad show. You see the projected Yeti pull UP the tracks. With nothing there the people near the back of the train miss out on the show. Yes, people in front will get a thrill when they see open space in front of them but it is still bad show. But then so is a static yeti with strobe lights.
The yeti pulls up the track after that scene btw.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Maybe because this is a discussion forum :confused:

More specifically, it's a discussion about a much lauded and hyped animatronic that was a huge feature (unintended pun) for the attraction when it opened. And, now, it just sits stationary, frozen in time. There are many here who are upset and disappointed with Disney's failure to fix it and keep it up to the standard and show quality that was advertised. Also, this is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam on here. I almost hesitated to post the video, knowing it would inevitably re-open the discussion about the broken Yeti.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

The yeti pulls up the track after that scene btw.

I may be misunderstanding you, but do you mean that the projection of the Yeti pulls off the track after the train pulls up to be actual damage track with the eagle? The scene with the Yeti pulling up the track happens before you get to that actual broken track scene and then go backwards.

Rob562

This may seem like a stupid question but did they have to build around the yeti? (Assuming not because I have photos of Everest being built)
Or did they pop him in the ride after it was built? And would they have to take him apart to
Fix?

The Yeti was installed after the mountain was built, so yes, it can be removed.

-Rob

ABQ

I may be misunderstanding you, but do you mean that the projection of the Yeti pulls off the track after the train pulls up to be actual damage track with the eagle? The scene with the Yeti pulling up the track happens before you get to that actual broken track scene and then go backwards.
Check the video posted in the OP of this thread. Missing track at 1:25 or so, projection of Yeti ripping track at 2:45 or so.

jdmdisney99

No, you go up the lift, take a small dip to the left, approach the ripped tracks, then zip backwards through that section, and THEN you stop and the scene where the yeti rips the track is played. Then you drop outside and finish out the ride (including disco yeti).

Figment2005

Yes, the first one. You come up to the broken track before you see the projection. Though I'm sure the yeti is actually supposed to be destroying the track behind the riders in the projection.

Cesar R M

They could make changes I suppose.. instead of a sleight going down.. they could make the yet swipe the hands NEXT to the train.. from a lower level( or a sideway level).. not top to down.

Alternatively, leave the yeti static in the "close position" , make it swipe only.. and use light effects to hide until he's ready to swipe.

doctornick

Yes, the first one. You come up to the broken track before you see the projection. Though I'm sure the yeti is actually supposed to be destroying the track behind the riders in the projection.

Yes, the initial broken track at the top of the hill is supposed to be unclear as to why it is broken. Later you get a glimpse of the Yeti's shadow breaking the track behind you so you have to shift directions and go forward again. Then you encounter the yet face to face.

FerretAfros

No, I got what you were saying about how the existing attractions would be grandfathered in.

I was just pointing out that when you consider everything that moves in the rolling boulder scene in Indy (including the walls and ceiling, all of which move to create the feeling you're driving backward), I'm sure that it's at least as much weight and movement as the Yeti.

The Yeti has more motion functions and is in more of a cantilevered position than the effects in Indy, but I have a hard time believing that it weighs more than everything in the boulder scene. And considering that literally everything in that scene except the floor is moving (walls, ceiling, Indy AA, rolling boulder, vehicle), I think that there's probably more motion there too. It's just more linear and not as dynamic and flashy

Wait, did I miss something? People at a Disney park were killed by falling overhead set pieces? When did this happen? Seems like it would have been big news, yet I'm drawing a blank here. I'm also surprised that, if this actually happened, they continue daily performances of the Aladdin musical at DCA, with performers on a flying carpet dangling over the audience (which has had non-deadly issues of its own)

It also seems like a great reason to completely refurbish the Imagination ride, since the upside-down house must be a death trap!

Mike S

No, I got what you were saying about how the existing attractions would be grandfathered in.

I was just pointing out that when you consider everything that moves in the rolling boulder scene in Indy (including the walls and ceiling, all of which move to create the feeling you're driving backward), I'm sure that it's at least as much weight and movement as the Yeti.

The Yeti has more motion functions and is in more of a cantilevered position than the effects in Indy, but I have a hard time believing that it weighs more than everything in the boulder scene. And considering that literally everything in that scene except the floor is moving (walls, ceiling, Indy AA, rolling boulder, vehicle), I think that there's probably more motion there too. It's just more linear and not as dynamic and flashy

Wait, did I miss something? People at a Disney park were killed by falling overhead set pieces? When did this happen? Seems like it would have been big news, yet I'm drawing a blank here. I'm also surprised that, if this actually happened, they continue daily performances of the Aladdin musical at DCA, with performers on a flying carpet dangling over the audience (which has had non-deadly issues of its own)

It also seems like a great reason to completely refurbish the Imagination ride, since the upside-down house must be a death trap!
The boulders in BTMRR in Paris fell on people. I don't remember reading if anyone died though, maybe just injured.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom