Everest Concept Art and Press Info

WDWFREAK53

This may have been caught or asked already...but quick question...

"In Expedition EVEREST, guests board an old mountain railway destined for the foot of Mount Everest. The train rolls through thick bamboo forests, past thundering waterfalls, along shimmering glacier fields and climbs higher and higher through the snow-capped peaks. "

Now I ask you...if the "old mountain railway" was "destined for" the "FOOT" of Mount Everest...and it starts at the base...WHY would it climb UP the mountain? (always thought the quickest route from point A to point A was just staying still :lol: )

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
This may have been caught or asked already...but quick question...

"In Expedition EVEREST, guests board an old mountain railway destined for the foot of Mount Everest. The train rolls through thick bamboo forests, past thundering waterfalls, along shimmering glacier fields and climbs higher and higher through the snow-capped peaks. "

Now I ask you...if the "old mountain railway" was "destined for" the "FOOT" of Mount Everest...and it starts at the base...WHY would it climb UP the mountain? (always thought the quickest route from point A to point A was just staying still :lol: )

I think you missed the point...the station is not near the Mountain, which you can tell from the concept art. The train travels a good distance through a tropical area headed for the foot of the mountain, and then heads up toward the summit via the, uh...creepy temple that will have incredible theming...I'm thinking something like the Indiana Jones Adventure type of a look. This IS a scary ride, taking place in a deserted town. I would not expect it to look very happy inside the temple...

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by DogsRule!
I think you missed the point...the station is not near the Mountain, which you can tell from the concept art. The train travels a good distance through a tropical area headed for the foot of the mountain, and then heads up toward the summit via the, uh...creepy temple that will have incredible theming...I'm thinking something like the Indiana Jones Adventure type of a look. This IS a scary ride, taking place in a deserted town. I would not expect it to look very happy inside the temple...

Ohhhhh ok...so the creepy temple thing lures the train up...Veddy interesting! (BTW...it was supposed to be a joke hehe)

TinasTravel

>>So, this mountain will be between 190 and 200 feet in height.

I think 199' is the limit. If it is 200 feet it has to have a warning light for airplanes. I heard that is the reason TOT is 199' tall.

SirNim

Originally posted by TinasTravel
>>So, this mountain will be between 190 and 200 feet in height.

I think 199' is the limit. If it is 200 feet it has to have a warning light for airplanes. I heard that is the reason TOT is 199' tall.
Yep. :)

dox

I really hope that they fast track this ride. I believe someone stated that there was a possibility it could open ahead of schedule. Here's hoping.

My one question if anyone can help, regarding the concept drawing. Are they building a new town/area, etc. in the area of the ride or are the buildings pictured part of the existing Asia?

Bryy2001

As far as we know, the buildings around Everest are just a continuation of Asia and Anandapur, by the looks of things. We haven't heard anything about a new "mini-land." It looks like just part of Asia. One or more of those buildings could be the beginning of the queue as well, Im not really sure about that though.

ToTBellHop

It's a new village in Asia. Whereas Anadapur is themed to southeast asia, this new ride will be themed as a Himalayan village. Its villagers, of course, fled due to the Yeti that lives in the mountain towering over the village, and the queue (and possibly an animal exhibit) will wrap through its buildings. Other than the queue, a new restroom and gift shop, though, we don't know what (if anything else) will go in those buildings

IOAfan2219

In the bottom right corner of the concept art, there appears to be an animal exhibit. See where the walkway ends and a wall covered in green vegetation goes down to flat ground and grass and trees? Looks like an animal exhibit to me. What kind of animals live in the Himalayas...markhors, Asian black bears, giant pandas.... The possibilities are endless! Maybe Disney captured the first actual Yeti!!! JK:drevil:

Matt56

Pandas!

What is the likelihood Disney would be able to get Panda's from China?

I know that only the National Zoo and one other Zoo has them in the USA.

TURKEY

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
Just curious...why no Pandas?

Money, money, money.

The Memphis Zoo just got 2 pandas. I think it cost them 10 million to do it.

Although I think that Disney has the money to do it and the fact that Disney is building one park in Hong Kong and possilby another in China, I don't see it happening.

Matt56

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Money, money, money.

The Memphis Zoo just got 2 pandas. I think it cost them 10 million to do it.

Although I think that Disney has the money to do it and the fact that Disney is building one park in Hong Kong and possilby another in China, I don't see it happening.

Wouldn't this be a GOOD reason to bring in pandas? It would show a good relationship with Disney and those Asian governments. It would also add a level of prestige to the ZOO aspect of AK.

netenyahoo

I think it would be awesome to have Pandas at AK. It would be a big draw to the park too. They would have to build a special place for them where a lot of people could view them at once.

That would be sweet. I would think there would have to be a certain type of staff on hand to take care of them, seeing as they are one of the more endangered species. I think disney could build a very interesting habitat though, quite possibly simulating the actuall environment the panda's live in. I hope something like this goes through.

Bayou_Tigerfan

It would also add a level of prestige to the ZOO aspect of AK.

I think that's the problem. Apparently, Disney has market research indicating that people aren't going to AK "because it's just a zoo and we have one of those in our hometown." Disney seemingly has been doing everything it can is doing everything it can to downplay the "zoo" factor.

goofyfan13

hey mktiggerman, nice avatar! This ride sounds like it is going to be a really sweet one. I read in the Orlando Sentinal when I was down there last week that the ride would be dropping into the darkness and cold. That sounds cool alone. Can't wait until 2006!!!

TURKEY

Originally posted by Bayou_Tigerfan
I think that's the problem. Apparently, Disney has market research indicating that people aren't going to AK "because it's just a zoo and we have one of those in our hometown." Disney seemingly has been doing everything it can is doing everything it can to downplay the "zoo" factor.

While having pandas might make it seem more like a zoo, having them would make AK distinct from most zoos. There aren't but a couple of zoos that have them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom