Everest Concept Art and Press Info

Rider

There will be more than one train. :)

For the backwards part it will most likely be a switch track (like the Maelstrom). The train pulls onto it, sound effects go off, the track rotates slightly so you are aligned with another track and you go down.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Rider
There will be more than one train. :)

For the backwards part it will most likely be a switch track (like the Maelstrom). The train pulls onto it, sound effects go off, the track rotates slightly so you are aligned with another track and you go down.

The track itself need not change at all. Roller coasters have been using switch tracks for quite some time now, like on Big Thunder Mountain or Cali Screamin. The train will simply cross the switch track, stop for a show scene, and guests won't even realize the switch track is spinnig around 180º, so that they are now connected with the backwards portion of track. What I envision is guest fall into the mountain this way, and then at their frightening encounter with the Abominable Snowman, the trains will return to travelling forwards as guests flee. It will definitely be a ground-breaking coaster.

stingrock23

Today was definitely a good day to be a Disney fan.

New info on Expedition Everest, and opening dates for Mission Space and PoP Century, as well as new M:S pictures.

It's great to know that M:S will be open when i'm there in the fall, and Everest looks like it will be another amazing Disney E-Ticket attraction. It just goes to show what Disney can create when given a large enough budget.

:sohappy:

Mission: SPACE

Originally posted by WDWFanatic
Whos going to be the first to run into the woods and get us some shots of the construction!! :lol:

I will!!!

As long as they won't revoke my Annual Pass for such a stunt... I can always use the excuse that I thought it was a path through the bushes to an animal exhibit!!?!! :veryconfu

Testtrack321

Originally posted by DogsRule!
The track itself need not change at all. Roller coasters have been using switch tracks for quite some time now, like on Big Thunder Mountain or Cali Screamin. The train will simply cross the switch track, stop for a show scene, and guests won't even realize the switch track is spinnig around 180º, so that they are now connected with the backwards portion of track. What I envision is guest fall into the mountain this way, and then at their frightening encounter with the Abominable Snowman, the trains will return to travelling forwards as guests flee. It will definitely be a ground-breaking coaster.

That's a differnt idea totaly. Those coaster add trians using that design and that takes a good 2 mins for one train to be added. Everest rotate, but probably not 180 degrees, mabey just 90 and then they will fall back onto another portion of track.

TURKEY

Originally posted by DogsRule!
Amazing news. We know that Big Thunder Mountain is currently the tallest mountain, at 189 feet. So, this mountain will be between 190 and 200 feet in height. Such an amazing day for Disney, and I know the summer guests, like me, are thrilled to learn SPACE will be open to guests at least by July 4th. Incredible day...finally get to ride SPACE on August 1st...I'm going to go on a cheering spree!:sohappy: Go Disney! Go Disney! It's your (fourth wdw park's) birthday! YEAH!!!:sohappy:

I'm guessing it's going to top out at 199 feet. I wouldn't expect it to hit 200, due to having to have a little red light on top.

SirNim

I'm guessing this mountain will top off at precisely the same height at TOT, 199 ft, to escape the airplane notification light at the summit.

Wow.

That mountain sure looks good, especially in that concept art.

And the (new) village sure looks good too.

:D

*happy and contented*
:lol:
:)

WDWKing

WOW!!!!!! Today is an EXCELLENT day to be obsessed with Disney. I can't wait for Mission: Space to open and it's great we finally got information covering that topic. Expedition Everest looks AWESOME by looking at the concept art, WOW! I'm speechless...... :D :sohappy: :D
Thank you Disney!!!!

SirNim

Does anybody know where to obtain a transcript, or an audio recording, or a video, of today's press conference? or even if one is available?:confused: :)

CTXRover

I was looking closer at the concept art (I opened a HUGE photo of it at http://www.intercot.com/features/images/everest_lg.jpg) and I noticed what appears to be a castle-like building on top of the first large stone structure (left-side of mountain, track runs right through it).

Does anyone know what this castle-like structure is? How does it fit into the story? Why does the track go through it and then "through the air" to the top of mountain (which I think will be cool to be able to look out both sides of the train with nothing in the way beyond scenery)?

Also, did everyone notice the waterfalls coming of the mountain? This looks really amazing. I am pleased with Disney's imagineers on this one. It was worth 5 years to see something so amazing being added to AK :)

no2apprentice

Thanks, Steve.

I realize I don't have my glasses on, but that concept art looks NOTHING like the Matterhorn.

My hats off to Lee for providing some very accurate posts leading up to this day.

And, unless I missed something in the several versions of the press conference I've read, nothing else was announced. Oh well, we wait for the next one. And wait. And wait.

Shaman

Originally posted by CTXRover
I noticed what appears to be a castle-like building on top of the first large stone structure (left-side of mountain, track runs right through it).
Does anyone know what this castle-like structure is?

It is probably a Buddhist Temple, or the ruins of a Buddist temple, as for why do the trains "fly" over the air without additional scenery...maybe thats tied in to what we would see in the structure before. (The structure could also be the ruins of some lost city).

Looking at the trains themseleves they look strange...atleast to me...why the usual front end of a steam train at the back?? Also it seems that most of the ride is going to take place inside...eventhough some sections seem to be outside...maybe there will be some animals on our way to the mountain? The ride looks real cool...hopefully they go all out on this ride.

SirNim

Originally posted by CTXRover
Does anyone know what this castle-like structure is? How does it fit into the story? Why does the track go through it and then "through the air" to the top of mountain (which I think will be cool to be able to look out both sides of the train with nothing in the way beyond scenery)?

Probably a monastery.

It couldn't be Shangri-la, though, could it??

I don't know how it fits into the story.
:)

SirNim

Originally posted by objr
It is probably a Buddhist Temple, or the ruins of a Buddist temple, as for why do the trains "fly" over the air without additional scenery...maybe thats tied in to what we would see in the structure before. (The structure could also be the ruins of some lost city).

Looking at the trains themseleves they look strange...atleast to me...why the usual front end of a steam train at the back?? Also it seems that most of the ride is going to take place inside...eventhough some sections seem to be outside...maybe there will be some animals on our way to the mountain? The ride looks real cool...hopefully they go all out on this ride.
Cog railway trains (like those at the COG railway at Mount Washington, New Hampshire) have the steam engine at the back of the train, and the passenger cars at front, because I've actually ridden one up Mt. Washington. It's necessary for the cog mechanisms, the extra middle track, and just to power the whole train up. :)

SirNim

Ahem

What is this??

http://www.msnbc.com/local/wesh/a1587286.asp

Animal Kingdom Turns 5

ORLANDO, Fla., 2:41 p.m. EDT April 22, 2003 - Disney's "Animal Kingdom" opened April 22, 1998 to rave reviews.

Five years later the park, which claims to be "nah-ta-zu" (not a zoo), is still popular with the tourists, NewsChannel 2's Gail Paschall Brown reported.

To celebrate the milestone, Disney officials unveiled plans for a new thrill ride called "Expedition Everest." The new "family adventure" is scheduled to open in 2006, cost upwards of $100 million, and will be built next to the park's existing "Asia" attraction, Paschall said.

"We believe very strongly that we always need to reinvest into our product," said Disney World VP Ken Potrock. "If you don't, your product is going to grow stale, your product is going to be less exciting, and people will be less interested in visiting."

Tuesday's announcement came just after Disney's recent announcement that it will renovate Epcot's trademark "Spaceship Earth" attraction.

Tuesday's announcement came just after Disney's recent announcement that it will renovate Epcot's trademark "Spaceship Earth" attraction.

What?? Did I miss something??:confused: :confused: :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom