Everest Concept Art and Press Info

CTXRover

Re: Ahem

Originally posted by SirNimajneb
What is this??

http://www.msnbc.com/local/wesh/a1587286.asp

Tuesday's announcement came just after Disney's recent announcement that it will renovate Epcot's trademark "Spaceship Earth" attraction.

What?? Did I miss something??:confused: :confused: :eek:

A while back "WESH" reported getting info that SE would be renovated to Time Racers. Its been reported here at this site about this possibility, but to the best of my knowledge Disney has never officially announced, nor recognized, this "rumor", which may or may not be true.

So, I think this may be just "poor" reporting, because I don't think "we" would have missed an announcement like that :lol:

SirNim

Re: Re: Ahem

Originally posted by CTXRover
A while back "WESH" reported getting info that SE would be renovated to Time Racers. Its been reported here at this site about this possibility, but to the best of my knowledge Disney has never officially announced, nor recognized, this "rumor", which may or may not be true.

So, I think this may be just "poor" reporting, because I don't think "we" would have missed an announcement like that :lol:
Phew.

I knew about WESH's story from late last year, and the rumor, but I saw "Disney's recent announcement.."

Right.

Poor reporting.

Ahh...

OK
:)

AndyMagic

I am also a little upset that it is being called a, "Family Adventure." Looks like this isn't going to be the great white knuckle adventure I thought. Why did Eisner say it would be the most incredible ride for the boy in the family? Besides the fact that it is an incredibly sexist remark, it is also misleading.

The_CEO

April 22, 2003
Massive, New Attraction At Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom

Walt Disney World has unveiled plans for a massive, highly themed new attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Set to open in early 2006, Expedition Everest is based on the Himalayan Mountain legend of a huge, hairy creature called the yeti.

Located in the Asia section of Disney's Animal Kingdom, Expedition Everest will rise nearly 200 feet, making it the tallest "mountain" in Florida, complete with snowcaps. The Vekoma-built family coaster at the heart of the new attraction will hurl riders both forward and backwards. Storytelling elements will be integrated with the ride, officials said.

The new thrill attraction was announced April 22 during the park's 5th anniversary festivities at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

Written by: Tim O'Brien

If this wasnt posted before good.. If it was sorry...

Its gonna be built by Vekoma... Go Figure.

CTXRover

Originally posted by AndyMagic
I am also a little upset that it is being called a, "Family Adventure." Looks like this isn't going to be the great white knuckle adventure I thought. Why did Eisner say it would be the most incredible ride for the boy in the family? Besides the fact that it is an incredibly sexist remark, it is also misleading.

"Family" can be a VERY wide range of people. I think I read this attraction will have a height req. of 42 or 44 inches, so obviously not a ride for "smaller" family members.

I don't think we need a very intense ride, but I also wouldn't mind one. The one thing that I love about how this ride is described is the themeing. That is what makes classic Disney attractions and separates Disney from the competition. Disney is about making attractions for the "family", but this one will probably be one that is in fact a little intense. Just consider some of these things said by Al Weiss:

"Called Expedition EVEREST: The Legend of the Forbidden Mountain, this attraction will take guests on a HIGH-SPEED train adventure through the Himalayas. Surprises will include a mysterious mythical creature and the TALLEST DROP on Walt Disney World property."

He also said that Exp. Everest should do for AK what Sunset Blvd and TOT did for MGM.

Thus, I don't think it is going to be a tame ride. However, Disney is about making experiences for the family, so obviously this attraction is going to be a "family adventure" not just a "thrill seekers adventure", if you know what I mean.

Can I ask why you are upset about them calling it a "family adventure"?

MicBat

Wow!!! Everest looks like it's going to awesome!!! More individual than everyone originally thought.. It doesn't really look like Journey into... or Matterhorn!

WigglyWiggins

amthough im sure the ride itself might change considerably from the concept art as time goes by, it looks absolutely amazing. I think it will certainly become a park icon. The concept art is fantastic...theres a close up version at intercot and the artist has even got little people putting the arms up on the big drop, in fact im pretty certain i can see some people posing for the ride photo....

pax_65

I haven't been this excited about a ride since they started building Splash Mountain. I see a lot of similarities between Splash Mountain and Everest - hopefully Everest will do for roller coasters what SM did for flume rides - completely re-invent the whole concept!

A great theme is what will keep you riding again and again. A roller coaster like Dueling Dragons at IOA is very intense and a great ride - and I rode it 4 times in a row the last time I was there... but do I have to get back to IOA to ride it again? Not really...

But Splash Mountain is such a great show with a great theme, I ride it every time I go to Florida. I hope (and expect) the same will be true with Everest.

Hank Scorpio

hold-up, im pretty sure that history shows that anything originally planned by Disney at the concept stage, never actually looks the same once it's built - usually due to budget problems??

I really hope this one gets built how it was originally intended and we don't end up with a half hearted ride.

pax_65

Don't be too pessimistic. Now that they've released the concept art and announced the ride I'm sure it will be developed and be similar to what was shown. The Imagineers won't get everything they want (they never do) but it should be awesome anyway.

Shaman

Originally posted by Hank Scorpio
hold-up, im pretty sure that history shows that anything originally planned by Disney at the concept stage, never actually looks the same once it's built - usually due to budget problems??

I really hope this one gets built how it was originally intended and we don't end up with a half hearted ride.

I don't think that they can afford to do any less; this ride will make sure that Disney stays ahead in the competition. Besides, I think Disney now sees that they can't be cheap, that to get more $$$ they need to spend more $$. The Pressler period is done for...hopefully we won't see anymore cheap rides for a long time.

On another note, I'm ok with Disney calling it a "family adventure", only problem is I don't think they have (some reporters may have it in for Disney). The themeing on this is going to be truly wonderful to experience...besides I personally don't think Disney needs intense rides. I too hope that when it is built it looks like the one in the picture (so I'm crossing my fingers). Just my opinion:animwink: .

Jusjuice

So............does anyone know where this attraction will be? On the river (if you look at the bottom right corner of the picture, it sort of looks like that area along the river across from Dinoland) or will it be closer to Africa?

Dizknee_Phreek

ya know, it's been a while since i've been excited about a new Disney attration, but i'm REALLY excited about this one! the concept art looks awesome! seems to be VERY promising! i just can't wait to see it start taking shape! and i'm really glad they based it on an actual mountain instead of making up one. it makes it more 'real', i think. and, imo, really ties it in with the reality that the park represents. :sohappy:

pax_65

I agree with the announcement they made... from the looks of it, this ride will dominate Animal Kingdom the same way Tower of Terror dominates MGM. It will be the first thing you see when you arrive, the thing your eyes will be watching as you walk into the park (maybe once you clear all that shrubbery!). This is HUGE... it will transform Animal Kingdom.

I'm just sad it will be 3 years or so before it's open. Didn't it take about that long for them to build ALL of Animal Kingdom?

WigglyWiggins

so do we reckon this ride will be type
a) Mountain goes up very quickly but then still got aaaaaaaages till it opens or...
b) nothing seems to happen for ages then whoosh...we have an everest?
also do we think the coaster frame will all be built before the mountain kind of goes on top? like RnR was?

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by WigglyWiggins
so do we reckon this ride will be type
a) Mountain goes up very quickly but then still got aaaaaaaages till it opens or...
b) nothing seems to happen for ages then whoosh...we have an everest?
also do we think the coaster frame will all be built before the mountain kind of goes on top? like RnR was?

Based on how advanced the ride system is, it will need a lot of work and testing, so I would imagine the mountain itself will go up moderately fast. We should see a noticeable difference in the Animal Kingdom skyline by Christmas, I would think.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Jusjuice
So............does anyone know where this attraction will be? On the river (if you look at the bottom right corner of the picture, it sort of looks like that area along the river across from Dinoland) or will it be closer to Africa?

Judging by where the construction is taking place, Asia, behind Kali River Rapids

Shaman

Originally posted by mktiggerman
Judging by where the construction is taking place, Asia, behind Kali River Rapids

Maybe it will serve as a great transition between Beastly Kingdom and Asia :animwink: (one could only hope that eventually we will see Beastly Kingdom). With E:E you have a mountain in Asia with a mythical creature inside...nice transition, not a drastic change in themeing between sections (..ok..I'll stop dreaming now). :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom