Ever wonder...?

ArsonWinter

Originally posted by jmarc63

COP was moved to WDW from DL in 1975, making it impossible to be but at EPCOT. and moving it would have been such an unnecessary expense and really would have made TL look barren.

Yeah, what I meant is if it's only opening at peak times at MK, why don't they update it and sent it to Epcot? (vice versa, actually) To me, the "progress" theme fits more with Innoventions, and it would add another ride at Epcot, not to mention it's marketability as an original Walt Disney attraction (of which, there aren't any in Epcot, I beleive, which never made sence to me, seeing as Epcot was Walt's idea. Well, not the same theme park idea, but, oh, that's a whole diffrent topic all together.).

jrashadb

... looking at map of Epcot in his head...

That Odyssey area looks like a good place for the COP... I wouldn't be sad it Odyssey was done away with and the COP was put there in its place. It would look nice hanging out there on the water...
It's not going to happen. But it would be nice.

Shannon_Yensid

Originally posted by RoqueC17
I desperately want to know why they built SOUNDS DANGEROUS. What an awful attraction...

ok, sounds dangerous is a 3-d sound experience....in the room after sounds dangerous, there's a row of rooms where u r RJ, new executive and it's all 3-d sound tricks (very cool) my guess is that this 3-d sound stuff is really popular and disney thought the old show was getting, well, old. personally i thought monster sound (the really old show that was there) was the BEST, but i guess not

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by JoeZerboy

Tudor style, and again let me know if I am incorrect, commonly uses brown timbers and white/ivory walls with brown roofing. The HM architectural styling would be more Victorian if we're labelling it using British Monarchy stylings....

And, The Mom...I love the way you are so kind about disagreeing and rebutting ponts. :) And, as she pointed out, Liberty Square encompases more time of American Historical architecture than just the Revolutionary War period...so my temporal references in my earlier post that she commented on stands corrected.

Joe

Joe,

You're too kind. :) And I'm not sure I would call it Tudor, either. bearboysync has identified it as most likely Gothic revival, which would make sense, especially after reading the history of the attraction on Doombuggies. They were apparently going for a Washington Irving meets Edgar Allen Poe sort of effect. ;) Again, something evocative of an indistinct time in American history...more than 100 years ago (when MK was built) but no specific date or place.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Originally posted by Tramp
You have this pre-conceived notion of what "tomorrow" is...nothing will satisfy you unless if fits into that narrow image. Tomorrowland can mean different things to different people and can span the space of time from the next second til eternity encompassing a plethora of concepts and theories. Imagineers have the ability to weave those abstract concepts into attractions that will appeal to the majority of people visiting the park.
Just because you say it doesn't fit, doesn't make it so.!

Next time you're in Tomorrowland, do something radical and open your eyes and observe how Disney has themed the area: sci-fi and space travel. This isn't my notion, it's DISNEY'S. So apparently you're complaining about their 'narrow image'. Exactly how does riding around in small racing cars fit in with this theme? It doesn't, regardess of who says it does or doesn't. It's similar to as if Disney moved Jungle Cruise into Future World at EPCOT. It simply doesn't belong.

DanStat

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Originally posted by YankeeFan

Next time you're in Tomorrowland, do something radical and open your eyes and observe how Disney has themed the area: sci-fi and space travel. This isn't my notion, it's DISNEY'S. So apparently you're complaining about their 'narrow image'. Exactly how does riding around in small racing cars fit in with this theme? It doesn't, regardess of who says it does or doesn't. It's similar to as if Disney moved Jungle Cruise into Future World at EPCOT. It simply doesn't belong.

Most of us will never travel in space, so how is that "tomorrow-ish"? I think the kids driving the cars in 10 years is more realistic than space travel.......chill out...

The Mom

Premium Member
The emphasis on Sci-Fi and Space travel has only been there since the "redo". Certainly CoP and "If You Had Wings" weren't terribly futuristic. The Wedway isn't, either. I can't remember what predated Timekeeper? Was it Sci-Fi or Space themed? Tomorrowland has always been a bit of a hodge-podge. ;)

JLW11Hi

I think WED Way is futuristic, but the name change helped it fit into theme.

The theme of Tomorrowland has changed from that of "a world on the move", which I believe was the previous theme when it first opened, to "the future that never was". Now just being in line with the theme, Speedway and COP do not fit in as well. They are much better fitted for Epcot, but it would cost too much to move these there, especially when the popularity of both isnt very high. I really like the idea of Autopua better than a speedway for getting youngsters into their future "drivers seat", but I guess as long as Indy is sponsoring it, it will remain a speedway. Actually, Space Mt. could do a little bit of a makeover to fit better into theme. The white, stealth design of the outer building doesnt quite fit in with the updated area, where strange angles and bright colors are everywhere. It was made to fit in with the previous tomorrowland design, which was mostly white, lots straight lines, like the entrance pillars. It woudl eb hard for them to redo the outside, but mabey they coudl add a few things to it? A new paint job, mabey, or some futuristic props.

cymbaldiva

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Mom, as always, is correct...Tomorrowland wasn't themed to sci-fi until the rehab. The cars ARE the future to the children who love them!

Btw, the "move JC to EPCOT" thing is a real stretch....the Speedway has always been in Tomorrowland! I guess it fits in 'cause Disney said it fits in!
:)

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
Mom, as always, is correct...Tomorrowland wasn't themed to sci-fi until the rehab. The cars ARE the future to the children who love them!

Btw, the "move JC to EPCOT" thing is a real stretch....the Speedway has always been in Tomorrowland! I guess it fits in 'cause Disney said it fits in!
:)

No, again Mom is wrong. It doesn't really matter when the re-hab took place or that it even did. The Speedway doesn't belong in Tomorrowland, or the Magic Kingdom for that matter.

WDWspider

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

No, again Mom is wrong. It doesn't really matter when the re-hab took place or that it even did. The Speedway doesn't belong in Tomorrowland, or the Magic Kingdom for that matter.

Gee, I'm having a hard time even seeing why you started this thread, if you were already right, then what was the point.:lol: :rolleyes: You don't even think that way back when the Speedway was open, that it was the future then, most people did not drive, including a lot of females, so this was a unique chance back then. I could understand changing it today some, but it did fit, and where else in the Magic Kingdom would it make sense, they did put it on the far edge of tommorrowland after all. Guess you could say, how does battling giant toys in Buzz fit, or how does the CoP fit, or even how does a roller coaster in the dark fit.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Why are you constantly stating that people are "wrong"? Your attitude is extremely frustrating. 99% of your posts appear to be fishing for controversy, and hooks for you to defend your position and tell people they are wrong.

The Mom

Premium Member

OK. Consider the source, everyone! :D :D

JoeZerboy

Originally posted by The Mom

Joe,

You're too kind. :) And I'm not sure I would call it Tudor, either. bearboysync has identified it as most likely Gothic revival, which would make sense, especially after reading the history of the attraction on Doombuggies. They were apparently going for a Washington Irving meets Edgar Allen Poe sort of effect. ;) Again, something evocative of an indistinct time in American history...more than 100 years ago (when MK was built) but no specific date or place.

My pleasure, The Mom. I always appreciate a passionate, yet constructive debate over a plain old "I'm right, you're wrong" shouting match. LOL

Bearboysnc did bring up a good point with the Dutch influences and it being more along the lines of Gothic Revival...which fits in well with the - now nearly forgotten - storyline of the ride as well as with the Americana feel of that section of the park.

It's kind of like why the DL version looks the way it does since it is in their Louisiana section [current name escapes me at this moment] - so that one was modelled after pre-Civil War and Antebellum plantation homes.

Joe

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom