Ever wonder...?

jmarc63

Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Originally posted by YankeeFan

That's a bit of a stretch. The Haunted Mansion doesn't look at all colonial-esque. It's an anachronism to the theme of the (very small) land.

That may be your opinion but HM at WDW is modeled after a real structure in New England somewhere. I was looking for the link that explaines it all but cant find it at the moment. if someone has that info please post it.

jmarc63

Originally posted by ArsonWinter
I've often wondered why Carosel of Progress was in Tomorrowland. Wouldn't that be better suited in Epcot? What about why some countries are in the World Showcase. If you don't have a ride or attraction, then what's the point? Why Disney never tried to push attractions down the throats of sponsors? What about how they have Animal Kingdom, and yet there aren't many aquatic-types or anything (Living Seas nonwithstanding)? What about how Downtown Disney isn't that big of a deal?

Yeah, some of these are retoricial, but they're still questions I've asked myself.

COP was moved to WDW from DL in 1975, making it impossible to be but at EPCOT. and moving it would have been such an unnecessary expense and really would have made TL look barren.

JoeZerboy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Originally posted by jmarc63

That may be your opinion but HM at WDW is modeled after a real structure in New England somewhere. I was looking for the link that explaines it all but cant find it at the moment. if someone has that info please post it.

I believe that the WDW HM is modeled after homes and mansions along the Hudson River Valley in New York. As to whether the architecture is period enough for liberty square, I'd have to say no. More like late 1800's, early 1900's. If I'm correct, the design clues are talked about on www.doombuggies.com

Joe

Merlin

Account Suspended
I've always wondered what Buzz Lightyear has to do with Tomorrowland. He is a space TOY. Shouldn't it have been in Fantasyland or Toontown?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

That's a bit of a stretch. The Haunted Mansion doesn't look at all colonial-esque. It's an anachronism to the theme of the (very small) land.

I would disagree with that, and would think that Imagineering did a LOT of research in designing the exterior of a siganture attraction. It certainly fits the theme in my opinion.

The Mom

Premium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Originally posted by JoeZerboy

I believe that the WDW HM is modeled after homes and mansions along the Hudson River Valley in New York. As to whether the architecture is period enough for liberty square, I'd have to say no. More like late 1800's, early 1900's. If I'm correct, the design clues are talked about on www.doombuggies.com

Joe

I respectfully disagree. I lived in Providence, RI in the historical district. The house (a previously single family home broken up into 4 apartments) I lived in was built in 1814...there was a house about a block away that had many similarities to the HM, and it predated my home. (I believe it was circa 1790-1800...I'll have to look it up if I can find any old photos of it)

The name of the park area is Liberty Square...not Colonial Square. It is supposed to represent early America...both pre and post Revolutionary War, and seems to touch on everything from the Pilgrims to the Antebellum period. (hence the inclusion of the riverboat, and now extinct keel boats)

As is typical with the imagineers, they combined many elements to come up with this design. It's not meant to be an historically factual replica of any particular home or era, but rather a structure that evokes a "feeling" of an earlier time in our history.

Frontierland CM

The mansion is a colonial / tudor design, and if you look at the style of the horse carriage out front, it does fit liberty square. As far as the speedway goes, it's supposed to be a futuristic motorway. When tomorrowland was originally built, it looked more futuristic then it does now.

Tramp

The same applies to the Tomorrowland Speedway. What in the world does that have to do with tomorrow?

Driving cars IS "tomorrow" for the little kids that the attraction was designed for!

WDWspider

Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Originally posted by Tramp

Driving cars IS "tomorrow" for the little kids that the attraction was designed for!

I agree with that logic, but it would be cool if they updated to cars that could hover and still hold onto a track.

Tramp

Originally posted by spider-man

I agree with that logic, but it would be cool if they updated to cars that could hover and still hold onto a track.

yeah...and give me a little more leg room....damn, my aching back getting in and out of those things! I never went on that attraction until my daughter was born...I love watching the serious looks on the little kid's faces as they drive away...priceless.:)

...of course, more legroom for me means a longer reach to the pedals for the kids.:D

JoeZerboy

Originally posted by Frontierland CM
The mansion is a colonial / tudor design, and if you look at the style of the horse carriage out front, it does fit liberty square. As far as the speedway goes, it's supposed to be a futuristic motorway. When tomorrowland was originally built, it looked more futuristic then it does now.

Tudor style, and again let me know if I am incorrect, commonly uses brown timbers and white/ivory walls with brown roofing. The HM architectural styling would be more Victorian if we're labelling it using British Monarchy stylings....

And, The Mom...I love the way you are so kind about disagreeing and rebutting ponts. :) And, as she pointed out, Liberty Square encompases more time of American Historical architecture than just the Revolutionary War period...so my temporal references in my earlier post that she commented on stands corrected.

Joe

WDWspider

Tudor style, and again let me know if I am incorrect, commonly uses brown timbers and white/ivory walls with brown roofing. The HM architectural styling would be more Victorian if we're labelling it using British Monarchy stylings....

And, The Mom...I love the way you are so kind about disagreeing and rebutting ponts. :) And, as she pointed out, Liberty Square encompases more time of American Historical architecture than just the Revolutionary War period...so my temporal references in my earlier post that she commented on stands corrected.

Joe

I'm just glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head from the first post trying to figure out why the haunted mansion didn't fit. Seems like everyone thinks it does.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

Originally posted by Tramp

No, driving cars would be more '10 years from now' rather than 'tomorrow' for the tykes riding this attraction. Besides, the rest of Tomorrowland is space/sci-fi in theme.....Tomorrowland Speedway doesn't fit in with that at all.

mwitkus

Re: Ever Wonder......?

Originally posted by JungleJim
Why do people poolhop?
:lol: Sorry..........I couldn't help it!LOL!

:lol: :lol: :sohappy:

that was too perfect!!!! thanks for making me laugh!

bearboysnc

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ever wonder...?

The house is a hybrid of several designs that would be found in the original colonies.

I first thought it was Dutch. because of the proportions. (The "A" shaped walls on the ends of the house are typical Dutch construction.) In the early days, many Dutch settlers were usually shipping merchants, bringing things over from the Europe.

Durch Colonial Architecture is noted for Symetrical facades. Heavily ornamented doorways, with columns, sidelights and transomes.(windows around doors) But no towers.

It's technically is a Gothic Revival.

Gothic Revival homes have Masonary construction, vertical proportions, tall pointed windows, often with stained glass. Carved stone ornament, and soaring towers.

Tramp

No, driving cars would be more '10 years from now' rather than 'tomorrow' for the tykes riding this attraction. Besides, the rest of Tomorrowland is space/sci-fi in theme.....Tomorrowland Speedway doesn't fit in with that at all.

You have this pre-conceived notion of what "tomorrow" is...nothing will satisfy you unless if fits into that narrow image. Tomorrowland can mean different things to different people and can span the space of time from the next second til eternity encompassing a plethora of concepts and theories. Imagineers have the ability to weave those abstract concepts into attractions that will appeal to the majority of people visiting the park.
Just because you say it doesn't fit, doesn't make it so.!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom