News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

monorail81

As for whether or not Luminous is creating more or less business in dining packages/revenue... I think a lot of that can be attributed to some of the ridiculous pricing along with the emphasis of arriving earlier in the day to experience some of the headliners and people deciding to head out earlier in the day.

Heck, on some days Genie+ & a Lightning Lane can be the price of a dinner, so people are just substituting probably...
I think money the folks fork out for the festival booths contributes to all of the early departures, too. They leave when they run out of money.

stuart

They need to add the flame throwers that were planned for it.
Was this confirmed anywhere? I know in one of the behind the scenes video it had flames on a screen or panel, but there was an assumption at the time this was for the fire effect fountain lighting, not actual flame throwers.

Squishy

Was this confirmed anywhere? I know in one of the behind the scenes video it had flames on a screen or panel, but there was an assumption at the time this was for the fire effect fountain lighting, not actual flame throwers.
It wasn't for fountain lighting because they had a layout & sequence defined for it in grandMA3. There wouldn't be a layout just for a simple lighting effect, it had to have been some physical layout.
1713922727520.png

1713922742378.png

trainplane3

It wasn't for fountain lighting because they had a layout & sequence defined for it in grandMA3. There wouldn't be a layout just for a simple lighting effect, it had to have been some physical layout.
View attachment 781329
View attachment 781330
I'd quote it but it wouldn't give as much of the context.

1713926729210.png

I'll take it as Luminous receiving upgrades in the very distant future. It's obvious the show was done on a extremely limited budget. Most if not all of the hardware on the main 6 and outer barges are Harmonious pieces.

TTA94

View attachment 781341

I'll take it as Luminous receiving upgrades in the very distant future. It's obvious the show was done on a extremely limited budget. Most if not all of the hardware on the main 6 and outer barges are Harmonious pieces.

Unless they feel Luminous needs adjustments for when EU opens and whatever nighttime show they debut.

Squishy

View attachment 781341

For some reason I don't want to read too much into it, adding some effects that won't really bring any return on investment unless they brand it as some v2 luminous.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Does DLE create a show control program from scratch for each new show? My guess is that they have a general program that they use to program all types of shows they produce (from nighttime spectaculars in the castle parks to indoor theatre shows), hence the fire/flame tabs we saw on their interface.

Squishy

Does DLE create a show control program from scratch for each new show? My guess is that they have a general program that they use to program all types of shows they produce (from nighttime spectaculars in the castle parks to indoor theatre shows), hence the fire/flame tabs we saw on their interface.
They could be using a imported base file but it wouldn't make sense to why it would make it all the way to the end when everything else was customized to stuff that is in the show. Also Disney uses a diverse range of flamethrower equipment(pretty much every show uses some different product) so it wouldn't make sense to have it in a base file when the equipment is never the same.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
They could be using a imported base file but it wouldn't make sense to why it would make it all the way to the end when everything else was customized to stuff that is in the show. Also Disney uses a diverse range of flamethrower equipment(pretty much every show uses some different product) so it wouldn't make sense to have it in a base file when the equipment is never the same.
Maybe fire was originally planned but was cancelled due to the Fantasmic incident.

Starship824

In the Parks
No

View attachment 781341

While I agree there probably was budget restraints I don't think it's necessarily "cheap" to reuse the Harmonious fountains and lighting effects since they cost a lot of money and were in fine condition. (I'm just assuming they refused then I don't know why they wouldn't)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I'm Disney, the Luminous numbers I'd be concerned with are the relatively low ratings by young adults and the over-30 group. Those are closer to the bottom than the top.
I’d be concerned that overall it’s overall barely above Humongous.
Maybe fire was originally planned but was cancelled due to the Fantasmic incident.
Budget.

mattpeto

I happen to love Luminous. Could it use some improvements, well sure?

How was the first version of Illuminations? Are we comparing Luminous to that first show?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom