News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Yes but that could mean anything from the very early stages of trying to get Disney to release it to it’s coming anytime now. The way I read it though and hopefully I’m wrong is the artist was referring to just the song “Heartbeat Symphony”.
Yeah, it sucks they didn't just say when the show came out whether they were going to or not so we wouldn't have this will they won't they waiting game.

TTA94

Yeah, it sucks they didn't just say when the show came out whether they were going to or not so we wouldn't have this will they won't they waiting game.

One of the reasons could be, after the Harmonious fiasco, they want to make sure the show is a 100% a winner before making the effort to release the soundtrack? Technically so far the show has only been through one major busy season which was Spring Break. You could count part of the Holidays last year but it literally debuted then. There is a chance they might want to go through the Summer before making the official decision?
Overall I’m not sure how well the show is actually doing now? After it premiered it seemed as though many thought of it as It’s a good enough show, but not Wow or mind blowing. Not sure if that opinion has swayed one way or the other and what the average guest opinions are?

mikejs78

Premium Member
One of the reasons could be, after the Harmonious fiasco, they want to make sure the show is a 100% a winner before making the effort to release the soundtrack? Technically so far the show has only been through one major busy season which was Spring Break. You could count part of the Holidays last year but it literally debuted then. There is a chance they might want to go through the Summer before making the official decision?
Overall I’m not sure how well the show is actually doing now? After it premiered it seemed as though many thought of it as It’s a good enough show, but not Wow or mind blowing. Not sure if that opinion has swayed one way or the other and what the average guest opinions are?

@lentesta do you have any sense at how the show is doing vs Harmonious/Epcot Forever/RoE?

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I selfishly hope it's doing well because I love it and want it too stay around. Even if people don't like it though I don't think the infrastructure isn't going anywhere since it's very easily reprogrammed and is very well though our unlike Harmonious.

TTA94

I selfishly hope it's doing well because I love it and want it too stay around. Even if people don't like it though I don't think the infrastructure isn't going anywhere since it's very easily reprogrammed and is very well though our unlike Harmonious.

My biggest complaint with the infrastructure is it feels to focused in the center of the lagoon, meaning the fountains. If they were spread out it would make it look a lot better. I think keep it how it is and add in 4 more large barges instead of the smaller barges with one fountain head on them, which almost feels unnoticeable. Additionally projections would help the show as well, and, well, Drones!

Starship824

In the Parks
No
My biggest complaint with the infrastructure is it feels to focused in the center of the lagoon, meaning the fountains. If they were spread out it would make it look a lot better. I think keep it how it is and add in 4 more large barges instead of the smaller barges with one fountain head on them, which almost feels unnoticeable. Additionally projections would help the show as well, and, well, Drones!
Now granted I haven't seen the show in person but I actually like that the fountains are all in the middle because then your eyes aren't moving around everywhere. I also think projections just fundamentally don't work at Epcot shows because of the 360 view.

lentesta

Premium Member
@lentesta do you have any sense at how the show is doing vs Harmonious/Epcot Forever/RoE?

As of today:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 2.26.51 PM.png

IllumiNations remains EPCOT's highest-rated nighttime show. For teens, young adults, adults, and seniors, it's not that close. (The confidence interval for Luminous for seniors is too large to say anything definitive yet.)

EPCOT Forever seems likely to go down in history as the park's lowest-rated nighttime show. And it was an interim show, so that's understandable.

Harmonious did well with kids. And that was one of its goals, so it accomplished that.

If I'm Disney, the Luminous numbers I'd be concerned with are the relatively low ratings by young adults and the over-30 group. Those are closer to the bottom than the top.

More importantly, those two age groups are the largest and tend to make most of the the park and spending decisions.

TTA94

As of today:
View attachment 781229

IllumiNations remains EPCOT's highest-rated nighttime show. For teens, young adults, adults, and seniors, it's not that close. (The confidence interval for Luminous for seniors is too large to say anything definitive yet.)

EPCOT Forever seems likely to go down in history as the park's lowest-rated nighttime show. And it was an interim show, so that's understandable.

Harmonious did well with kids. And that was one of its goals, so it accomplished that.

If I'm Disney, the Luminous numbers I'd be concerned with are the relatively low ratings by young adults and the over-30 group. Those are closer to the bottom than the top.

More importantly, those two age groups are the largest and tend to make most of the the park and spending decisions.

Interesting.

ToTBellHop

On the one hand, they have to be happy it’s more popular than the last two shows and they no longer have the complaints about how ugly World Showcase looks. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be surprised to see segments changed over time.

I know the “sorry your mom died” segment is unpopular among many groups.

Last edited:

pigglewiggle

As of today:
View attachment 781229

When I watch the popular vloggers who seem to be in those age brackets, they almost unanimously state they liked Harmonious better. They state it was more fun and better music.

Which makes me wonder, if Illuminations that we loved debuted today after Harmonious, would it still be as popular? There was zero Disney music for those who seem to want HEA in Epcot form.
For me, of course I would still love Illuminations, but I wasn't a big fan of Harmonious, even in person.
I've yet to see Luminous in person, but already like it better just from video.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom