News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

monorail81

I have to agree with that, when I was 8 or 9 years old EPCOT Center was my favorite park. I loved all the original rides and always told my parents to take me there over MK. I remember being in awe of the fountains and landscape lighting at night. Horizons, SSE, WoM were my favorites outside of eating breakfast at the rotating restaurant in the Land then watching veggie fruit fruit... Good times!
The best times!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I have to agree with that, when I was 8 or 9 years old EPCOT Center was my favorite park. I loved all the original rides and always told my parents to take me there over MK. I remember being in awe of the fountains and landscape lighting at night. Horizons, SSE, WoM were my favorites outside of eating breakfast at the rotating restaurant in the Land then watching veggie fruit fruit... Good times!
I remember seeing the Fountain of Nations go from white to changing colors for the first time and I just lost my mind. All the ground lighting and landscape lighting along with the landscapes just blew my mind at Epcot. Seeing the buildings light up and the lasers in the water than all the sudden the lights as in the lasers are leaving the buildings and traveling into mid air off into the sky along with the spotlights are you kidding me?!?!?! That to me was just supernatural, I know they still have lasers but when you have segments where there’s lasers traveling in mid air and on the water screen in the dark like that it’s just incredible especially when you don’t know how it all works. And if being a gullible kid isn’t enough your gliding space looking back not even thinking of its real or not but on the back of your mind you’re thinking where am I, what did I just travel thru and what the heck is going on.

Last edited:

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I would like to see them release absolutely nothing and have a nice surprise on opening day for once. 🤞
That would be an interesting idea, but how would they market it then. How many people besides die-hard fans know this show is coming out in a few weeks?

jrhwdw

I would like to see them release absolutely nothing and have a nice surprise on opening day for once. 🤞
Then, we would keep wondering how much IP is in this show...

I'm little surprised the Resorts haven't been getting Pyro Test Notices yet. Granted We're still little over a Month out.

TheMaxRebo

As much as we love nighttime shows, I'm not sure at this point Luminous is going to drive bookings for this holiday season. Marketing now is looking to 2024.

Yeah, other than locals or people that go multiple times a year anyway, I can't imagine that many people would book a vacation now just to see a new nighttime show at Epcot this December vs already deciding to go due to the holidays, etc

Maybe be it motivated people with a trip already scheduled to do more Epcot days or add hoppers so they can hop to Epcot multiple days to see the show or something, but not a new trip

ToTBellHop

As much as we love nighttime shows, I'm not sure at this point Luminous is going to drive bookings for this holiday season. Marketing now is looking to 2024.
I’m also not convinced anyone beyond obsessed fans will book a trip for a new fireworks show anyway. Rather, strong fireworks are expected at WDW and they realized repeat bookings would decrease if they didn’t offer compelling nighttime spectaculars. They didn’t exactly market HEA beyond fan groups but they know guest ratings were lower for DE and that would not sustain return trips for 10 years or more. WDW guests have been trained to expect new rides at a healthy clip but not new fireworks shows.

Nighttime spectaculars mostly give guests a reason to stay in a park late and spend money on dinner, dessert, and $30 light-up bubble wands. This is obviously better for Disney than us going to bed at 7 pm out of boredom. I would also imagine, psychologically, an outstanding experience at the end of the day makes us more likely to overlook any daytime issues and say, “today was amazing and we should do this again.”

jrhwdw

If Luminous has a Stunning opening night, the only Guests able to plan a WDW/Epcot Trip yet in 2023 would be Locals/APs Correct?

jrhwdw

I’m also not convinced anyone beyond obsessed fans will book a trip for a new fireworks show anyway. Rather, strong fireworks are expected at WDW and they realized repeat bookings would decrease if they didn’t offer compelling nighttime spectaculars. They didn’t exactly market HEA beyond fan groups but they know guest ratings were lower for DE and that would not sustain return trips for 10 years or more. WDW guests have been trained to expect new rides at a healthy clip but not new fireworks shows.

Nighttime spectaculars mostly give guests a reason to stay in a park late and spend money on dinner, dessert, and $30 light-up bubble wands. This is obviously better for Disney than us going to bed at 7 pm out of boredom.
I have no proof but it wouldn't shock me if Bookings went up May-Summer 2017 not only because of Pandora at AK but also the brand new HEA at MK.....

HEA & EF 2023 was officially announced in early January on DPB, out there for all the world to see. So it wasn't a secret only for Fan Sites.

ToTBellHop

I have no proof but it wouldn't shock me if Bookings went up May-Summer 2017 not only because of Pandora at AK but also the brand new HEA at MK.....

HEA & EF 2023 was officially announced in early January on DPB, out there for all the world to see. So it wasn't a secret only for Fan Sites.
Only fans read DPB. They put Cosmic Rewind and TRON commercial in movie theaters. They don’t do that for new fireworks. And I love fireworks. But the type of crowd that knows or cares about a new show is rather niche-y.

Andrew25

Only fans read DPB. They put Cosmic Rewind and TRON commercial in movie theaters. They don’t do that for new fireworks. And I love fireworks. But the type of crowd that knows or cares about a new show is rather niche-y.
Harmonious, hated by fans, but average guests loved it. As long as there are big booms and msuci they don't really care.

Mind you a good chunk of visitors are WDW/Park/Disney fans, but I sincerely doubt most non-fans can find differences between HEA and Enchantment.

I say this as someone who passionately hated Harmonious and Enchantment lol

trainplane3

Harmonious, hated by fans, but average guests loved it. As long as there are big booms and msuci they don't really care.

Mind you a good chunk of visitors are WDW/Park/Disney fans, but I sincerely doubt most non-fans can find differences between HEA and Enchantment.

I say this as someone who passionately hated Harmonious and Enchantment lol
Thing is if average guests loved it, Harmonious would've pulled the attendance numbers and third party restaurants would be decently filled up when compared to previous shows.

It didn't do any of that so it was dumped quickly.

jrhwdw

Thing is if average guests loved it, Harmonious would've pulled the attendance numbers and third party restaurants would be decently filled up when compared to previous shows.

It didn't do any of that so it was dumped quickly.
Same with DE although, Main Street was always full for DE. We'll see how well DE does for DAH next year,. Who Knows? Maybe MK found a perfect place for DE..

ToTBellHop

Same with DE although, Main Street was always full for DE. We'll see how well DE does for DAH next year,. Who Knows? Maybe MK found a perfect place for DE..
Attendance in MK at night is higher with HEA than DE.

We will see with Luminous. Epcot was not doing well at night with Harm (and EF doesn’t pull remarkable numbers either). But, Epcot had a blank space, baby, so it wrote down EF’s name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom