News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

jrhwdw

Attendance in MK at night is higher with HEA than DE.

We will see with Luminous. Epcot was not doing well at night with Harm (and EF doesn’t pull remarkable numbers either). But, Epcot had a blank space, baby, so it wrote down EF’s name.
I can believe HEA has that effect.

Would be nice to see where Steve's expectations are with Luminous. If EF really is not done on Dec 4th, That may not be a good sign.....

Vinnie Mac

At the very least the infrastructure can be reused if the content isn't good and it should be cheaper to run and maintain. Harmonious was neither of those things.
Yeah I think Disney hit a homerun with the infrastructure. If they play it smart it'll have as much longevity as Illumination's infrastructure did

RSoxNo1

I’m also not convinced anyone beyond obsessed fans will book a trip for a new fireworks show anyway. Rather, strong fireworks are expected at WDW and they realized repeat bookings would decrease if they didn’t offer compelling nighttime spectaculars. They didn’t exactly market HEA beyond fan groups but they know guest ratings were lower for DE and that would not sustain return trips for 10 years or more. WDW guests have been trained to expect new rides at a healthy clip but not new fireworks shows.

Nighttime spectaculars mostly give guests a reason to stay in a park late and spend money on dinner, dessert, and $30 light-up bubble wands. This is obviously better for Disney than us going to bed at 7 pm out of boredom. I would also imagine, psychologically, an outstanding experience at the end of the day makes us more likely to overlook any daytime issues and say, “today was amazing and we should do this again.”
This is probably making your point. I flew down to see the last Illuminations and first EPCOT Forever. I am extending my upcoming trip to see the first Luminous.

TheMaxRebo

This is probably making your point. I flew down to see the last Illuminations and first EPCOT Forever. I am extending my upcoming trip to see the first Luminous.

I can see some of that - extending trips, reworking trips to have more EPCOT days, etc .... probably not a lot of extra trips booked for it, but more interest in being there if can adjust existing plans

TTA94

Would be nice to see where Steve's expectations are with Luminous.

Curious about that to. Is it going to be something many of us will be pleasantly surprised and wowed? Or more something that’s decent but not anything to go crazy over?

trainplane3

I did the same for Illuminations too.
My trip was always planned for the week Luminous debuts so the fact it actually is debuting then was a very welcome surprise. So I'll be there to see the last Epcot Forever and first Luminous as well.

Hopefully we won't laugh at the Luminous preshow announcements like everyone did for Epcot Forever.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We will see with Luminous. Epcot was not doing well at night with Harm (and EF doesn’t pull remarkable numbers either). But, Epcot had a blank space, baby, so it wrote down EF’s name.
WDW needs to create a generic EPCOT fireworks show that isn't dependent on special equipment and isn't EF so that the next time they need filler, they can use that.

EF ain't pulling people in over defunct attraction music from 30 years ago.

Time to retire EF permanently.

Even an abbreviated Illumination without the Earth-sphere and cutting the non-fireworky filler would be ten times better than EF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom