News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

mattpeto

Swing and a miss! Again. Not ignoring Len's ratings, but please, continue to grasp at straws to back up an extremely weak argument. Who pays for things and makes decisions, pre-schoolers or adults? Who makes ADR's? Who buys the merchandise?
You keep referencing ADRs without data and I’m glad you don’t care about half of the age groups.

FWIW, I predicted the barges weren’t going to make it to the end of 2023 earlier last year:

Harmonious was destined to die from the first day. I hope the story comes out eventually.

But it's all because the daytime fountains flopped. @wdwmagic just echoed this.

MrPromey

The problem is this is apples to oranges.

This is comparing ROE 17-19 YEARS INTO ITS RUN vs. Harmonious less than 19 MONTHS into its run. I realize that comparison still needs to happen. But, a better comparison would be Harm vs. a technologically updated ROE with the budget of Harm. While I'm sure the Pre-School and maybe Grade School numbers would be low - I would expect the others to go significantly higher.

That's part of the issue with rip and replace vs. update.

At the end of the day, ROE was a 20 year old show. It really was long in the tooth.

It should have been replaced or significantly updated long before this.

But ROE was purpose-built, top to bottom. The fire barge wasn't a cool piece of tech looking for a reason to exist. Neither was the globe.

Those torches around the perimeter weren't there just to look cool.

They had a story and they built a show and the hardware for that show around the needs of their story.

This show, while full of technical marvels, feels like the tech was approved and designed before the show it would be used for was.

That's the only reason I can think of for the janky graphics that only half-fit the dimensions of the tacos.

It's the only reason I can think of for most of what was wrong with this show.

Last edited:

Dan Deesnee

Cartoon clip show in the wrong park with poor sight lines and ugly daylight views. Poor pacing, little story, no connection to the surroundings and a show that has nowhere to go after the first few minutes since it’s played all its cards early on.

How is this show featuring songs from the various countries in World showcase not connected to the surroundings?

Also you basically just painted every show that Disney has ever at Walt Disney World with the same brush. The beloved happily ever after has an extremely tenuous story and visuals that can barely be seen on the castle except from certain angles...

And Illuminations also had terrible visuals with it's 1980s crt TV globe. I saw the show 4-5 times and can't really tell you what the story was outside of "coming together".

Look, I get it, the barges were ugly and I stated that in my post. But people have extreme rose colored glasses for anything classic Epcot. They put faults on anything new that could also be fairly put on the same old stuff that they hold such high regard for.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
EF should be pretty much identical to 2021
Except for this addition right? ;)

128B2ABA-5721-43E1-BC18-31AE52A44F98.jpeg

alphac2005

How is this show featuring songs from the various countries in World showcase not connected to the surroundings?

Also you basically just painted every show that Disney has ever at Walt Disney World with the same brush. The beloved happily ever after has an extremely tenuous story and visuals that can barely be seen on the castle except from certain angles...

And Illuminations also had terrible visuals with it's 1980s crt TV globe. I saw the show 4-5 times and can't really tell you what the story was outside of "coming together".

Look, I get it, the barges were ugly and I stated that in my post. But people have extreme rose colored glasses for anything classic Epcot. They put faults on anything new that could also be fairly put on the same old stuff that they hold such high regard for.
I'm in the camp of having grown up on Classic Epcot in the 80's, but don't see things through rose colored lenses. Besides the awful sight lines of the barges, my personal issue with Harmonious was that the task as hand seemed to be clear and defined by Chapek: Shove Disney music in Epcot and shoehorn in IP. The relationship to the countries is a seeming afterthought essentially, "Hey Chappie told us that we need Disney music, it's what the whole show is based around, and we'll try to figure out how to connect it to World Showcase." It lacked the classic Disney structure of a strong and original score as the foundation of the show and it just seemed like we were in the MK.

More so, it was recycling so many of the same songs that are found at the MK and Studios. What this new show will be interesting to behold. At the end of the day, I personally feel that Epcot is as confused as ever in terms of its identity. Some classic attractions remain, but then we have many MK IP type rides now. It seems to still be a weird mess and in many ways keeps both parties unhappy with it stuck in some odd combo.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Ok
They're starting to remove hardware from the barges:
Excellent !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom