News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Rich Brownn

Harmonious was just average, not great but not terrible. It didn’t move people into the park and consequently was certainly not worth the operational costs. In a short order it will be a distant memory, unlike ROE.

Yes it got applause, but the Kite Show also got applause. ROE got thunderous applause nightly and it was 20 years old and run down.

If there is a postmortem to be done, I’m pretty sure the takeaway is that tech does not equal success and copy pasting IP from other evening shows does not guarantee success.
After all, someone must have liked Light Magic. LOL

TDLFan

Interestingly, looking back, that interview with Steve Davidson and the sound designer about the creation of the show was one of the most uncomfortable Disney interviews I've seen. Even before seeing the show, that interview clued me in on very unpleasant feelings toward the show. They seemed snippy, unhappy to be there, and ready to defend the show even before the next question was tossed out. I'll never forget it.

jrhwdw

Well, definitely going to miss that Someday finale.

I always found the use of the song itself, arms, fountains, pyro, lights, and perimeters were fantastic during those last 3 minutes (ignoring the rest of the show lol).

Hopefully the new show can utilize the upgraded perimeter cannons to their full potential. They can shoot up to 8 times as we saw in Harmonious. It would be a waste to not utilize/integrate imo.

EF should use more Prim.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Cartoon clip show in the wrong park with poor sight lines and ugly daylight views. Poor pacing, little story, no connection to the surroundings and a show that has nowhere to go after the first few minutes since it’s played all its cards early on.
AP21319746169579.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Interestingly, looking back, that interview with Steve Davidson and the sound designer about the creation of the show was one of the most uncomfortable Disney interviews I've seen. Even before seeing the show, that interview clued me in on very unpleasant feelings toward the show. They seemed snippy, unhappy to be there, and ready to defend the show even before the next question was tossed out. I'll never forget it.
Questions were being asked about Humungous even before it premiered.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Cartoon clip show in the wrong park with poor sight lines and ugly daylight views. Poor pacing, little story, no connection to the surroundings and a show that has nowhere to go after the first few minutes since it’s played all its cards early on.
...the use of 'problematic' songs, warring imagineering narratives of what it was supposed to be (it's about dancing! it's about world cultures! it's about music! it's about Disney IP!), the anthropomorphic arms bent in the wrong way, the arcing fountains were attempted to be lit by a spotlight at its base -- but light doesn't arc*, daytime fountains were a disaster...

Remember, this is coming from a pixie duster.

*much in earth's gravitational field

WorldExplorer

...the use of 'problematic' songs, warring imagineering narratives of what it was supposed to be (it's about dancing! it's about world cultures! it's about music! it's about Disney IP!), the anthropomorphic arms bent in the wrong way, the arcing fountains were attempted to be lit by a spotlight at its base -- but light doesn't arc*, daytime fountains were a disaster...

Remember, this is coming from a pixie duster.

*much in earth's gravitational field

...the fact that we just heard like half those songs in a far superior nighttime show...swapping out a show about every living person for a show (supposedly) about like seven countries...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom