News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Vinnie Mac

I love a good conspiracy and I think Disney wanted to have fans go into it with lower expectations than Harmonious. They pushed Harmonious hard, and we all know how that went.
I'm not an insider but I'm 100% sure that's exactly why we didn't see marketing for it. For you to market a show as the biggest entertainment offering your company has offered and then making a Disney+ special based around it WITH live performances from highly well known names just for it to "sparkle into history" in less than 2 years is really embarrassing and expensive.

I also think that Harmonious was a bigger deal to begin with anyway. It was the first true ROE replacement meaning the first new major Epcot show since the beginning of the century, it also happened to be (by pure circumstance) the first new WDW nighttime show to debut post COVID. Not to mention people on this board and on distwitter watched this show get developed for well over a year and half coupled with YEARS of rumors and speculation beforehand. Harmonious had A LOT of attention on it from the moment it was even announced

I imagine Disney wanted to let things with LSOU play out naturally with word of mouth marketing. Seems to be working okay considering the fact that many seem to enjoy it

Vinnie Mac

I don't want to sound sappy but I just wanted to share a story that I've been sitting on for about a month now. A couple of nights after me and my family saw Luminous we were checking out of the Swan and Dolphin and waiting for valet to drop off our rental car and while waiting one of the valet employees noticed that my brother seemed a bit down. For the next 10 or so minutes he proceeded to cheer him up by asking him what his favorite memories from the trip was and his favorite rides and at the end of the conversation he told him that he could tell he had a wonderful heart and to never change for anyone. The kindness he showed to my brother and my whole family really reminded me of the whole theme of human connection in Luminous and I think that's when the show really started to stick with me. Nothing at EPCOT has made me feel that emotional since ROE to be honest. In today's world with everything going on so many people tend to forget the fact that the human connection is real and that it is a beautiful thing. Kindness and understanding goes a long way and just being able to appreciate one another is wonderful. It truly is a miracle that we exist on this planet at the same time :)

Haymarket2008

I don't want to sound sappy but I just wanted to share a story that I've been sitting on for about a month now. A couple of nights after me and my family saw Luminous we were checking out of the Swan and Dolphin and waiting for valet to drop off our rental car and while waiting one of the valet employees noticed that my brother seemed a bit down. For the next 10 or so minutes he proceeded to cheer him up by asking him what his favorite memories from the trip was and his favorite rides and at the end of the conversation he told him that he could tell he had a wonderful heart and to never change for anyone. The kindness he showed to my brother and my whole family really reminded me of the whole theme of human connection in Luminous and I think that's when the show really started to stick with me. Nothing at EPCOT has made me feel that emotional since ROE to be honest. In today's world with everything going on so many people tend to forget the fact that the human connection is real and that it is a beautiful thing. Kindness and understanding goes a long way and just being able to appreciate one another is wonderful. It truly is a miracle that we exist on this planet at the same time :)

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. That’s the Disney difference right there.

ToTBellHop

I was speaking with a friend who works in Guest Services at a Disney resort hotel who remarked that guests are back to walking into the lobby at 10 pm raving about Epcot fireworks in numbers and excitement that had been missing for several years now. Anecdotal but still interesting. Surely better than comments like, “what the hell did we just watch?”

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I was speaking with a friend who works in Guest Services at a Disney resort hotel who remarked that guests are back to walking into the lobby at 10 pm raving about Epcot fireworks in numbers and excitement that had been missing for several years now. Anecdotal but still interesting. Surely better than comments like, “what the hell did we just watch?”
I wonder how many are comparing it to Epcot Forever vs Harmonious tho.

I like it, but feel like it could be so much better with just a few changes and additions

ToTBellHop

I like it, but feel like it could be so much better with just a few changes and additions
Remember, Reflections was not terribly popular as it limped into retirement. The excitement many of us remember with respect to RoE was from the early 2000s.

But, yes, most are comparing it to EF and Harm since RoE ended over 4 years ago.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That looks nice, but does it look like that from all angles? Probably not.

Bingo. Those drones at DLP are probably 1/4 mile from the castle. Not sure they look great in a lagoon a few hundred feet away and viewed from the side.

Exactly 90 degrees from front? No. But perfectly watchable from the sides of the hub (like by the Discoveryland sign)

They’re not fully dimensional but nor are they “flat”.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Harmonious not Epcot Forever 🤫

Chef idea Mickey`=

I don't compare it to Epcot Forever nor Harmonious. Luminious is an Illuminations Harmonious blended in show but surprisingly more so Illumination's. The IP portion in the middle is lacking a strong middle wheras Harmonious and Epcot Forever was a banger from beginning til end... except EF flowed best, Harmonious had stops with each song and it didn't flow in transition.

I would replace the You've Got a Friend in Me/ never had a friend.. it's too HEA old.. a whole new world was at least beautiful.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I was watching Illuminations 25b tonight and noticed the announcement voice to the show is very similar to the Luminous voice, for a second I thought it was the same one just younger. I don't think it was but so similar. Just reminds me of 25 so much with the lack of imagery and all that colorful lit up smoke and the way they have the fountains. I won't watch luminous anymore tho because I don't want to spoil it any more than I already have.

Vinnie Mac

I feel like there is something that can be added to it that could make it signficantly better. Don't get me wrong, it's already very good. It has the Illuminations-eque pre-show music, it doesn't ruin sightlines, it has wonderful pyro design (some of the best seen on that lagoon since ROE), the two original songs are wonderful. Not to mention people actually like this show. Casual guest love it and even some ROE diehards are finding a soft spot for it.

But even then I just feel like there is something that could push it from a B+ show to an A+ show. Maybe it's an all original soundtrack, maybe it's drones. Maybe a fire barge or a globe? I don't know!

Squishy

I feel like there is something that can be added to it that could make it signficantly better. Don't get me wrong, it's already very good. It has the Illuminations-eque pre-show music, it doesn't ruin sightlines, it has wonderful pyro design (some of the best seen on that lagoon since ROE), the two original songs are wonderful. Not to mention people actually like this show. Casual guest love it and even some ROE diehards are finding a soft spot for it.

But even then I just feel like there is something that could push it from a B+ show to an A+ show. Maybe it's an all original soundtrack, maybe it's drones. Maybe a fire barge or a globe? I don't know!
I'm curious what happened to the flame throwers, they had them defined and sequenced in grandMA3 during the testing video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom